What pressure are you running your 25's ?

2»

Comments

• fwgx
    fwgx Posts: 114
    I'm 85kg and I can't stand the harshness of the roads around here that I have to commute on so despite noticing a faster ride with 80/90PSI, I run 60/70PSI and I'm considering going to 55 for the front. I went to 80/90 for a ride last week and it totally killed the enjoyment as it was so uncomfortable.
    Which tyres are you using? i.e. a type which comes up small for it's nominal size and is quite shallow (maybe veloflex?) or the reverse such as Michelin Pro4 SC which are in reality 27mm+ even on narrow rims and have a pretty deep profile = lots of volume.

They're the ones that came with the bike: Felt All Weather, 700 x 25c on Felt Road RSL3 rims.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Hutchinson Intensive tubeless 25c on commuters - 110F&R, 100F&R if wet. Note that 110 is the max allowable pressure for these tyres.

I've got the Hutchinson Intensive tubetype in 25c. First time I went out I couldn't read the pressure gauge and put in 125lbs instead of 105lbs and it was the most uncomfortable morning's cycling ever. I would have let some air out if I'd thought about it. I now ride them at 100lbs. Will ride my Schwalbe tubeless up to 110 lbs on shorter rides.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    I'm 68kg and run GP4000s II at 95/100. Anything less feels squirmy, I like them to be nice and firm. It's still a comfortable ride coming from 23mm tubs @ 120 and 23mm clinchers at 110.
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    In my case I am 85Kgs and i went out on my 25s today at 120psi at the rear and 110 at the front. It felt so comfortable and they rolled so well that for the first time I averaged 17mph.
    I would have to try them at 90/85 or 85/80 to see what the outcome will be. The norm for me has always been to inflate both front and rear to 100. My tyres are both Felt.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I'm 85kg and I can't stand the harshness of the roads around here that I have to commute on so despite noticing a faster ride with 80/90PSI, I run 60/70PSI and I'm considering going to 55 for the front. I went to 80/90 for a ride last week and it totally killed the enjoyment as it was so uncomfortable.
    Which tyres are you using? i.e. a type which comes up small for it's nominal size and is quite shallow (maybe veloflex?) or the reverse such as Michelin Pro4 SC which are in reality 27mm+ even on narrow rims and have a pretty deep profile = lots of volume.

I have 25 michelin pro4 sc fitted to reputedly harsh campag zonda wheels. They measure 25.1 to25.3mm across. I am 67kg and I run them at 75 front/ 80 rear if my gauge is accurate and they are brilliant.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060

I have 25 michelin pro4 sc fitted to reputedly harsh campag zonda wheels. They measure 25.1 to25.3mm across. I am 67kg and I run them at 75 front/ 80 rear if my gauge is accurate and they are brilliant.
    I have the same tyres on Ksyrium Elites. They were right around 27mm when I fitted them and I think expanded a smidge to maybe 27.5 shortly thereafter.
    I agree they're nice tyres. Pretty robust but still fairly comfortable and seems to have decent rolling resistance.

Incidentally, I don't buy the "harsh wheel" stuff.
    I'm pretty sure all wheels are radially very stiff. It's lateral stiffness that varies a lot and I don't think it has a whole lot to do with comfort.
    Laterally stiff wheels do change the feel of the bike but I think their impact on vertical compliance is mostly psychological.
  • bikingjohn
    bikingjohn Posts: 202
    74kg

90/110psi for fast group ride
    85/100psi for solo
    80/95 for wet

SES 3.4 Disc Clincher
    front: Schwalbe One Tubeless 25
    rear: Schwalbe One clincher 25 (couldn't convert the rear wheel... so...)
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    74kg

85/100psi for solo
    80/95 for wet

SES 3.4 Disc Clincher
    What's your thinking behind using different pressures for solo and group rides?
  • bikingjohn
    bikingjohn Posts: 202
    74kg

85/100psi for solo
    80/95 for wet

SES 3.4 Disc Clincher
    What's your thinking behind using different pressures for solo and group rides?
    the group rides are usually fast... just want that little less rolling resistance by sacrificing comfort... (more of a mental thing ;)
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    110psi

Then I don't look at them in-between races, so likely much much lower :lol:
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    77Kg

Conti 4000SII on HED Belgium+ rims

Run 80PSI on the rear and a bit less on the front
    BMC GF01