What pressure are you running your 25's ?

Paulj700
Paulj700 Posts: 76
edited June 2015 in Road general
I'm running conti gp4000s on Campag Zondas at about 95 psi.

It might be the roads (corrugated) round here but im starting to feel im not getting the comfort benefit of 25mm tyres.

What pressure are others running at to err on the side of comfort?

Cheers

Comments

• simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    About that. If you want comfort, either get something more supple, or (if your frame will allow it) go wider. 28 is a huge improvement on 25.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I put mine down from 100psi to 80psi on my Audax bike recently as my hands were hurting and I wanted more comfort. It is much better and was glad of it this morning for another reason - heavy rain during ride, but the lower tyre pressure meant I got better grip on the wet roads.
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Zondas are very stiff wheels that translate a lot of road feel. That's a positive for some and not others. How much you weigh has an affect too.

I run Vittoria Open Corsa SC or Rubino 25c tyres at 85/90psi front/back, I'm 144lbs give or take.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I'm running conti gp4000s on Campag Zondas at about 95 psi.

It might be the roads (corrugated) round here but im starting to feel im not getting the comfort benefit of 25mm tyres.

What pressure are others running at to err on the side of comfort?

Cheers

That's a bit like asking what size trousers is everyone wearing? Everyone's answer will be different, depending on weight, road conditions or personal preference. Just experiment...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, weight is a big factor and the OP hasn't quoted it. I weigh about 65kg normally and can run 25s at 75/80...but that is taking a little risk with pinchflats and about as low as I would like to go for rim/tyre safety.

I do find the Zondas a very harsh wheel, much harsher than the RS80s they replaced and certainly not the same quality of ride when compared to my handbuilts. Then again, some in my club love the stiffness of Zondas and ride them with 23s pumped up to 110PSI.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,621
    80 Psi front, 90 rear. I'm 79kg.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647
    About the same and about the same.
  • Paulj700
    Paulj700 Posts: 76
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't realise that Zondas were regarded as a harsh wheel. I certainly feel a lot of the road but assumed that went hand in hand with upgrading wheels (previous wheels were Miche reflex rx5).

I'm currently around 82-83kg (dropping all the time thankfully)

I'll probably experiment over the next couple of rides dropping to 85-90psi.
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    I was running gp4000s at 80psi, I'm around 70kg. Just drop the pressure and try it out.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Agree about the Zondas being harsh. Have been running some wide rim carbon clinchers with 25mm tyres at around 90 psi front and rear, and they certainly feel "plusher" than the Zondas. Recently went back to some old Pro-Lite Bracciano wheels, also seem less harsh. Zondas are still great wheels, but I've found them to be quite wearing/fatiguing over longer distances
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • roux_guy
    roux_guy Posts: 88
    I'm around 70kg and run my tubed 25's at about 85 rear, 80 front. My tubeless 25's are fine at around 80,80.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,378
    I rode Sirocco's for a couple of years after selling my Mavic Ksyrium's and they were much more forgiving but that was only in comparison to the Mavic's. I now ride Shimano CL24's or Campag Eurus. The Eurus's are a lovely ride but the CL24's are silky smooth. I have a pair of entry level Fulcrum's which are as stiff as heck but very strong on my winter bike. I can pump up the CL24's to 100 psi but still feel very comfortable despite the shocking state of our roads.
    I think if you are 80kg's plus, the Mavic's and Zonda's, even Fulcrum's will give you peace of mind due to their inherent strength. I am light so, I don't want wheels that are too stiff as I would have to run the tyres soft (25mm). It is always trade off.

I have been trying to pluck up the courage to go for a set of Tubular wheels and take the plunge...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    What you also need to bear in mind when recommending tyre pressures is that pump pressure gauges are notoriously inaccurate. A combination of low/high readings between two pumps could easily add up to a 30% difference in pressures. What you need to do is find a pressure that you are happy riding at and stick with that.

Buying a decent digital tyre pressure gauge can also help with absolute pressure readings and will also help to indicate the accuracy of your pump's pressure gauge.
  • 89.6 rear, 79.3 front
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,378
    89.6 rear, 79.3 front

I saw what you did there.
    Though I think that would make for a Sloppy front end which is probably better than a Sloppy back end.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Use this:

http://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-pressure-calculator.html

For me - 70-80psi front on a 25mm and 80-90psi rear on a 28mm, I weigh about 170lbs.
  • Use this:

For me - 70-80psi front on a 25mm and 80-90psi rear on a 28mm, I weigh about 170lbs.

I must be doing something wrong with that calculator - the first box told me to inflate to 185psi! The second box said 68/107 psi front/rear. The third said 102psi.

I said I weighed 176lbs (i.e. 80kgs which is a little high but about right) and the bike weighed 22lbs (i.e. 10kgs).

I'm none the wiser ...
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I'm a big guy at 98-100kg and run my Michelin Pro4 Endurance (that come up slightly more voluminous) at 80psi front and 95psi rear. Roll beautifully, grip well, no pinches.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    100psi front and rear for races, (tubular 23's)

Happy to let it naturally drop to 80's for training rides. I'm 63kg.

One thing to bear in mind - how much do you ride 'en danseuse' (out of the saddle just doesn't sound so good).

Because this loads the front tyre much more. You can see the deformation in the tyre, even at 100psi when cranking it out of the saddle. Something to bear in mind.
  • apreading
    Use this:

I must be doing something wrong with that calculator - the first box told me to inflate to 185psi! The second box said 68/107 psi front/rear. The third said 102psi.

I said I weighed 176lbs (i.e. 80kgs which is a little high but about right) and the bike weighed 22lbs (i.e. 10kgs).

I'm none the wiser ...

The first box is for the weight measured at either front or rear wheel individually - front wheel will probably be 40-45% of the total weight and rear will be 55-60% of total weight.

I use the second box because who has the tools to measure how much weight they are putting on each wheel individually...?

I set the weight distribution to 45%/55% rather than the default 40%/60%

The third box is based on a Michelin chart - which isnt right in my view as it doesnt take into account front/rear weight distribution..

Second box gives you 77psi front & 96psi rear on 25mm tyres - but you find that most 25mm tyres are actually bigger than 25mm. I am a similar weight and run a 28mm on the rear so that I can set it a bit lower as I also often have a pannier bag on the back.

I often decide its time to check the presures and find that actually I have been running as low as 60-65psi with no ill effect, although I once let the front go below this and hit a monumental pothole and got a snakebite puncture. Stupid me thought before the ride it was a bit too soft and decided to add some air after the ride rather than do it there and then...!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123

One thing to bear in mind - how much do you ride 'en danseuse' (out of the saddle just doesn't sound so good).

Because this loads the front tyre much more. You can see the deformation in the tyre, even at 100psi when cranking it out of the saddle. Something to bear in mind.

I too am 63kg. I run 25mm GP 4 Seasons and 25mm Pro 4 SC at 70 psi front / 80 psi rear. I am conscious of the front tyre sounding / feeling a bit squishy when making the occasional out of the saddle effort, and I know I'm taking a risk with pinch flats, but it's worth it for the comfort at the bars the rest of the time.
  • apreading
    I too am 63kg. I run 25mm GP 4 Seasons and 25mm Pro 4 SC at 70 psi front / 80 psi rear. I am conscious of the front tyre sounding / feeling a bit squishy when making the occasional out of the saddle effort, and I know I'm taking a risk with pinch flats, but it's worth it for the comfort at the bars the rest of the time.

I wouldnt worry about pinch flats - at your weight, you could run 10psi less at both ends. Of course you might find the tyres move around laterally more than you would like and as you say feel a bit 'squishy' at that pressure. 70 & 80 is a good compromise I find - really helps with the rubbish roads in Berkshire.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    110/120
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148

Not sure if you race at all, but I can't help but feel that at the same weight as me, you're losing a fair few watts with big tyres at those low pressures. That sound and squishyness you are feeling is wasted energy.

I know it depends on road surface, we are blessed with that in France, so can get away with 23's at 100. I was shocked at the state of the roads on a recent trip to Cornwall....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123

Not sure if you race at all, but I can't help but feel that at the same weight as me, you're losing a fair few watts with big tyres at those low pressures. That sound and squishyness you are feeling is wasted energy.

I know it depends on road surface, we are blessed with that in France, so can get away with 23's at 100. I was shocked at the state of the roads on a recent trip to Cornwall....

No, I don't race, and at nearly 58 I'm happy to waste a bit of energy in the pursuit of comfort. I'm sure the lanes in Suffolk are every bit as bad as those in Cornwall. I do envy you proper Europeans with your smooth tarmac and your Alps...
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    Use this:

This tells me (the second box, I'm ignoring the first which said 130psi) to inflate the front to 54 and the rear to 67.. Sounds a bit low?

I run mine at 80 front 90 rear at the minute - I weigh 56kg but I like a firmer (faster) ride..

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    About the same and about the same.
    I'm circa 85kgs.
    About 85psi front and 95 or 100 rear on Conti 4 Seasons
    About 80psi front and 95 rear on Michelin Pro4 SC (which are bigger than the 4 seasons)

Both could go lower if I wanted to maximise comfort. Never had a pinch with either setup.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Wow. Everyone is running *much* lower pressures than I do. I'm 78kg and do as follows:

Specialized S-Works Turbo tubs 24c on aero bike - 120 F&R; 130 if it's bone dry and speed is everything. This one doesn't go out in the wet as I don't trust the tyres having come off on them on a slippery road.
    Vittoria Pave tubs 25c on best bike - 120 F&R; 110R, 100F if it's raining/wet.
    Challenge Strada tubs 25c on steel bike - 120 F&R, 110R, 100F if it's wet
    Hutchinson Intensive tubeless 25c on commuters - 110F&R, 100F&R if wet. Note that 110 is the max allowable pressure for these tyres.

Below 100 there's noticeable "squish" from the tubs when out of the saddle or really working the bike; I don't mind this so much on the steel bike, since there's noticeable squish in the frame, but although 80 would give more comfort (and towards the end of a long day that's where tubs end up if you start at 100) I don't like the feel of the tyres moving around under load. The calculator is suggesting 73/91, which just seems madly low.

All measurements from (the same) track pump gauge, so YMMV.
  • fwgx
    fwgx Posts: 114
    I'm 85kg and I can't stand the harshness of the roads around here that I have to commute on so despite noticing a faster ride with 80/90PSI, I run 60/70PSI and I'm considering going to 55 for the front. I went to 80/90 for a ride last week and it totally killed the enjoyment as it was so uncomfortable.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I'm 85kg and I can't stand the harshness of the roads around here that I have to commute on so despite noticing a faster ride with 80/90PSI, I run 60/70PSI and I'm considering going to 55 for the front. I went to 80/90 for a ride last week and it totally killed the enjoyment as it was so uncomfortable.
    Which tyres are you using? i.e. a type which comes up small for it's nominal size and is quite shallow (maybe veloflex?) or the reverse such as Michelin Pro4 SC which are in reality 27mm+ even on narrow rims and have a pretty deep profile = lots of volume.