Mary townley loop this weekend

mattyfez
mattyfez Posts: 638
edited June 2015 in Routes
Just after a bit of advice really, mainly whether to do it clockwise or anti clockwise, I'll be cycling from brighouse joining at Hebden Bridge as that's my normal ride anyway. I'll be riding solo,and riding out to the loop so an extra 40km of gentle canal path. So I plan to set off at first light to avoid darkness.

I'm familiar with the stretch from stoodley pike up to Widdop reservoir but undecided about going clockwise or anti clockwise.. I'd rather do steep short climbs and longer gentler descents.

Kit wise I plan on taking a spare tube, puncture kit, chain tool, screwdriver and 2 allen keys.

Food wise I was thinking cheese and ham sandwiches, 8 slices, and 3 litres of squash, with and extra 500ml water.
This will be heavy so I may take less liquid and look to refill at some point on the way around.

Anyone done this and what are your suggestions? I did 125km in 8 hours a few months back, but that was all towpath so much easier going.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Just after a bit of advice really, mainly whether to do it clockwise or anti clockwise, I'll be cycling from brighouse joining at Hebden Bridge as that's my normal ride anyway. I'll be riding solo,and riding out to the loop so an extra 40km of gentle canal path. So I plan to set off at first light to avoid darkness.

I'm familiar with the stretch from stoodley pike up to Widdop reservoir but undecided about going clockwise or anti clockwise.. I'd rather do steep short climbs and longer gentler descents.

Kit wise I plan on taking a spare tube, puncture kit, chain tool, screwdriver and 2 allen keys.

Food wise I was thinking cheese and ham sandwiches, 8 slices, and 3 litres of squash, with and extra 500ml water.
    This will be heavy so I may take less liquid and look to refill at some point on the way around.

Anyone done this and what are your suggestions? I did 125km in 8 hours a few months back, but that was all towpath so much easier going.

Any suggestions appreciated!

You have ridden around Hebden before, right?
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Yeh, did it in the end solo, took me ten hours including riding there and back, an extra 40k.

Must admit I lost the will to live about half way around, but I was half way round so didn't have a lot of choice!

Shafted my bb and rear hub, and lost my pump somewhere along the way, but certainly an experience!
  • rubyhorse2
    rubyhorse2 Posts: 23
    see you've already done it, i've done it several times now.

First time was in torrential rain and we took a wrong turn dropping into some valley which took an hour to climb back out of, took us 14 hours in total and over 60 miles (yep quite a wrong turn).

More recently we did it in 10 hours and really enjoyed it, dont think it will ever be easy but its a great challenge.

always done it clockwise starting in Waterfoot, there is a great little pub just over half way on the route where we refill our water etc.

doing it this weekend actually.