Riding in Flanders - battlefields and memorials

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited June 2015 in Tour & expedition
Hi All,

I'm considering bringing a group of students to the Ypres area to look at WW1 history. I'd be interested in doing a tour using bikes as I think it gives a much better feel for the area and also if the weather is bad, an impression of how hard it was for those fighting there!

Has anyone ridden around the area and if so, are there any tour groups that you would recommend who could put together a package including hotels, guide, bikes etc? There are a couple on the internet but a personal recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• mac111051
    mac111051 Posts: 92
    you can hire bikes from here http://www.jeugdstadion.be/E/fietsverhuur.php
    another usfull site here http://www.fietsroute.org/indexuk.php
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Thanks, I will check these out.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • salsarider79
    salsarider79 Posts: 828
    If your going near Ypres then it worth contacting Talbot House as this was 'everyman's house' in WW1 and still in almost original condition. It has a beautiful chapel in the attic which was used by founder Rev P B 'Tubby' Clayton to offer solice from the front line and where he lead services to men who went to the front shortly after and never came back. Its a powerful place and not far from the Menin Gate where they play the last post every evening at 8pm. Its a very powerful place to visit. Worth googling both....Oh, and there was Sansen bakery directly opposite who did some amazing chocolate croissants. Makes a tasty, if not necessarily healthy breakfast....
    I'm thinking of doing a WW1 battlefield tour. Be interested to know your route, where you went, etc, etc.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    If your going near Ypres then it worth contacting Talbot House ... Its a powerful place and not far from the Menin Gate where they play the last post every evening at 8pm.
    Talbot House (Toc H) is in Poperinge, 8 miles along the road from Ypres and the Menin Gate.