Cleanest and best dry lube

2»

Comments

• buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Has anyone tried Finish Line Ceramic Wax Lube? I bought some of this a while ago, but haven't given it a try yet. I'm using Finish Line Wet Ceramic at the moment and it does last well, but gets black and horrible far too quickly for my liking.

big_FL_CER_WAX_US_2oz_MA_1312_CRC_RGB.jpg

Also, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Friction Facts/Velonews tests yet. Squirt is among the best for lowering friction, although we're only talking 1 or 2 watts between the majority of the market. I'd certainly choose cleanliness and practicality over 2 watts! In fact, these tests would be conducted under clean conditions, so in reality some of the best contenders could drop off very quickly if they accumulate dirt and gunk rapidly.

velonews2014-01-pdf-page-002-790x1024.jpg?w=605
  • Muc Off dry lube for me.
    Chain gets ran through a cleaning device with soapy water, rinsed, wiped with GT85, then lubed with Muc off.

Works a treat.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    For many years now, I've bought my favourite brand: Whichever is cheapest.

It has served me very well.

I am astounded that people can compare with any accuracy one lube against another. I take my hat off to anyone who can, but the bottom line for me is that if I look after stuff it works well and lasts well.... and if I don't it might not.

Brand is significantly less important than how (and how often) it is applied.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have found that Squirt doesnt get dirty, stands up to a shower but obviously not as good in heavy weather as a wet lube, chain stays looking shiny and is quiet. In heavy weather just reapply a little more often without cleaning. Proper cleaning not required much as a result. So I dont bother with wet lubes any more as the downsides arent worth it.

The fact that a test says its just about the very best for low friction is a bonus frankly, as I would use it anyway.

there seem to be two types of people - those who have tried squirt and those that use another lube. I cant recall hearing from someone who has used squirt that subsequently uses anything else - maybe there is someone out there somewhere but they must be VERY rare at least.
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Anyone else find their chain is much noisier with a dry lube compared to wet?
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Squirt ordered! Any application tips?
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    TheHound wrote:
    Anyone else find their chain is much noisier with a dry lube compared to wet?

Yes I do generally. But some dry lubes are better than others for noise. I have just done a back to back test. On Thursday I cleaned the chain and applied Rock and Roll Gold. Yesterday I did the same but with Finish Line Dry. Much less chain noise with the Finish Line and chain stayed just as clean. In fact, Finish Line Dry seems no noisier than Finish Line Wet.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    Squirt ordered! Any application tips?
    Just squirt it on :D

Sorry couldn't resist.

There is application notes on the bottle
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    Are their any issues staring a ride in a colder morning when the chain is wax coated, i.e does it take a bit of mileage to get the wax to get some heat in it or is that against the whole point of what a dry/wax lube does?

I had been experimenting with Fenwicks Stealth but since I've changed back to Ceramic Wet Lube, shifting has been better.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • apreading
    For squirt, follow the instructions to the letter. Clean thoroughly and most importantly remove all other lube. Then simply apply and leave to set - ideally 20 mins stationary after application rather than go straight on a ride (you can ride straight off but will lose some of the squirt as it wont be set).

Then simply when it seems to need more lube just do it again and leave to set.

Any dirt that it collects is taken away when the squirt is gradually shed. So far less need for cleaning - in fact dont clean it with any product unless you are stipping all the lube completely and starting again. Just top it up.

So the key to success is, leave it to set before riding, dont use any other product at the same time (lube or cleaner).

It will eventually build up a little gunk and need to be stripped thoroughly but maybe last 4-5 times longer than other lube before you reach this point. It wont get black and sticky like wet lube. It will resist some rain and light showers - just apply more often than in the dry - its better than a dry lube has any right to be and better than other dry lubes I tried.
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Thanks
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    apreading wrote:
    I have found that Squirt doesnt get dirty, stands up to a shower but obviously not as good in heavy weather as a wet lube, chain stays looking shiny and is quiet. In heavy weather just reapply a little more often without cleaning. Proper cleaning not required much as a result. So I dont bother with wet lubes any more as the downsides arent worth it.

The fact that a test says its just about the very best for low friction is a bonus frankly, as I would use it anyway.

there seem to be two types of people - those who have tried squirt and those that use another lube. I cant recall hearing from someone who has used squirt that subsequently uses anything else - maybe there is someone out there somewhere but they must be VERY rare at least.

Well you have now. I gave it a go, following the instructions to the letter. I found it worked as advertised in flaking off and taking dirt with it, and maintaining a cleanish looking chain provided it was frequently reapplied. I was somewhat concerned that some of the flaking wax was ending up on my rear wheel rim, but the deciding factor was that it's not so good as a lubricant in the wet; several times I've ended up with a squeaking chain, which didn't sound like it was doing the chain / transmission any good.

For our often unpredictable weather I've gone back to using plain old 3-in-1 oil applied sparingly to each roller and the excess wiped off taking dirt with it. Careful, miserly application followed by wiping seems key to avoiding attracting dirt.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I just bought some Squirt on the basis of recommendations on this forum, but was concerned to read this on their site:
    http://www.squirtlube.com/roadriding/index.html
    Something about the chain creating an electro-magnetic fields which attract rubber particles from the road left by car tyres, turning your chain black? :? :roll:

Haven't got round to using it yet, but had a noisy drivetrain after only 40 miles after applying Muc-off dry lube this morning. So chain, all de-greased and washed off, ready for its first application of Squirt. I have high expectations so hopefully it's an improvement over previous lubes I've tried....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    Ive tried the rest the best is .............................Sqirt
    regards
    ILG
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Something about the chain creating an electro-magnetic fields which attract rubber particles from the road left by car tyres, turning your chain black? :? :roll:

That's the funniest thing I've read all day...
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Luv2ride wrote:

That's why I use paraffin wax which creates a counterdirectional electric field and keeps the black away.
    Tomorro I' ll post a photo of my chain after 400 km's, only once (at the start ) submerged in wax and no lubrication afterwards and still runs quiet.
    Saves 2,59 Watts of power too.
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    Typically, in dry conditions, how often, in terms of miles, do you re-lube with Squirt? And are you supposed to clean before relubing or just relube without cleaning? Thanks.
  • apreading
    You are supposed to just relube, it will clean itself. The key to squirt working properly is NOT to clean the chain and put other products onto it. That way squirt builds up and some remains with in the chain. Full clean is very rare for me now.

How often depends on conditions - I just do it when the chain gets more noisy. In the (very) wet that might be one ride, in the dry on the road bike it could be as much as 500 miles, damp and/or dusty somewhere in between.
  • apreading
    Whole load of talk about it here: http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/squirt-chai ... 08171.html
  • PLuKE
    PLuKE Posts: 181
    I was told that 3in1 was a good lube, put on each link, run the chain and wipe off excess.

Seems to work nicely, I put a touch in the front and rear dérailleur moving points.

Is this ok?

Thanks
    Luke
    2013 Merida Ride 93 Carbon
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    PLuKE wrote:
    I was told that 3in1 was a good lube, put on each link, run the chain and wipe off excess.

Seems to work nicely, I put a touch in the front and rear dérailleur moving points.

Is this ok?

Thanks
    Luke

No.

It's best to read loads of peoples opinions for hours on how to oil a chain to try to ascertain some consensus on the methods and products you might use, then try multiple approaches and assess your findings. It is such a science it's incredible. Many experts on here have spent years researching chain lube issues and are so passionate they will devote much time to convincing you what is best to do. Now all you have to do is make sense of it all. Good luck and I'm sorry your bike is about to grind to a halt.
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    apreading wrote:
    You are supposed to just relube, it will clean itself. The key to squirt working properly is NOT to clean the chain and put other products onto it. That way squirt builds up and some remains with in the chain. Full clean is very rare for me now.

How often depends on conditions - I just do it when the chain gets more noisy. In the (very) wet that might be one ride, in the dry on the road bike it could be as much as 500 miles, damp and/or dusty somewhere in between.

OK, thanks for that. Think I might give it a go. Using Muc Off C3 dry at the moment. I think it's good. But has the hassle of needing (or at least I do) dry brush cleaning every relube time to get rid of black build up. And I relube about every 150-200 miles.