Canyon Commuter

2»

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Any prices out for the 2015 Aeroad frameset or full build?
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    iPete wrote:
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/pure_cycling ... rview.html :):):):)

but no campag or frameset option (yet?)
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    There won't be a Campag option:

Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 LTD £ 5,899
    Drivetrain Shimano Dura-Ace Di2, 11s
    Wheelset Zipp 404 Firecrest Carbon clincher
    Handlebars Canyon H11 – Aerocockpit CF
    Saddle Fizik Arione R5

Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 TEAM KAT
    £ 5,399
    Wheelset Mavic Cosmic CXR 60 WTS clincher
    Saddle Selle Italia SLR Team Edition

Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 SL £ 4,899
    Wheelset Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLE WTS Exalith 2
    Saddle Fizik Arione R5

Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 £ 3,899
    Drivetrain Shimano Dura-Ace, 11s
    Saddle Fizik Arione R5

Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 Di2 £ 3,599
    Drivetrain Shimano Ultegra Di2, 11s
    Wheelset Reynolds Strike Carbon clincher
    Saddle Fizik Arione R5

Aeroad CF SLX 7.0 Di2 £ 3,299
    Drivetrain Shimano Ultegra Di2, 11s
    Handlebars Canyon H16 – Aero AL
    Saddle Fizik Arione R5

Aeroad CF SLX 7.0 £ 2,699
    Drivetrain Shimano Ultegra, 11s
    Handlebars Canyon H16 – Aero

Got my eye on the Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 Di2

aeroad-cf-slx-8-di2_c1105.png
  • rower63
    My Storck has a rough-and-ready top-tube crack repair, and a blocked FD cable-hole so I've bodged the cable around the bottom-outside of the frame shell - which means it's slowly sawing its way through the frame as I change gear, and Storck not helpful in responding to enquiries.
    So, I'm in the market for a replacement and I hanker after an Aeroad SLX. But, no Campag or frameset-only, so I might have to get the Dura-Ace one and sell off the groupset and wheels.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I actually quite like the commuter, albeit in the white colour only. It looks better on the website than in that single pic in the OP.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • il_principe
    rower63 wrote:
    My Storck has a rough-and-ready top-tube crack repair, and a blocked FD cable-hole so I've bodged the cable around the bottom-outside of the frame shell - which means it's slowly sawing its way through the frame as I change gear, and Storck not helpful in responding to enquiries.
    So, I'm in the market for a replacement and I hanker after an Aeroad SLX. But, no Campag or frameset-only, so I might have to get the Dura-Ace one and sell off the groupset and wheels.

No Campag I assume because they don't do a Direct Mount brake. If you look at Movistar's new Aeroads you can see they are running Dura Ace brakes

98b7ea49gw1ehqsu6gpypj20l80e1n0d.jpg
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Why is the 6870 version £1600 more expensive than the equivalent (barring the wheels, which are a small upgrade) Foil?
  • il_principe
    vermin wrote:
    Why is the 6870 version £1600 more expensive than the equivalent (barring the wheels, which are a small upgrade) Foil?

I dunno, ask Canyon! There are 2 x 6870 Aeroads though, which one are you referring to? Also is that a 2015 or 2014 Foil?

Aeroad CF SLX 7.0 Di2 2015
    £ 3,299*

Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 Di2 2015
    £ 3,599*

Differences appear to be:
    Wheels Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLE WTS Exalith 2 vs Reynolds Strike Carbon clincher
    Bar/Stem Alu vs Carbon
  • iPete
    rower63 wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/pure_cycling ... rview.html :):):):)

but no campag or frameset option (yet?)

Cheers, now I'm home I can look properly, the 7.0 looks tasty but vastly more than I've ever put down on any bike :shock:
  • rower63
    as you say tasty, but on basis no delivery until March 2015 I'll go elsewhere. 7 months wait for the 2015s and no stock left in the 2014s turns me away :(
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    dhope wrote:
    Been keeping an eye on Eurobike for their CX offerings, but the commuter looks interesting.
    Not for me, but still...
    Integrated lights, disc brakes, belt drive, full guards

http://www.canyon.com/_en/eurobike2014/urban.html

zVCiYfO.png

http://www.canyon.com/eurobike2014/down ... yer_EN.pdf
    http://www.canyon.com/eurobike2014/down ... zin_EN.pdf

I really like that. Some interesting looking bikes appearing on the market just now.

Not sure if I'd go for the dynamo equipped version or not, though. Think I'd go for the Gates belt but no dynamo.
  • Style over substance.

Why would you design a commuter bike without rack mounts, why?
    As for the belt drive models..you won't be thanking canyon for that choice if it snaps on a cold winter morning.
    Bird AM Zero (On Order :D )
    Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 (stolen :evil: )
    Cube Road SL
  • dodgy
    Style over substance.

As for the belt drive models..you won't be thanking canyon for that choice if it snaps on a cold winter morning.

Is that a regular occurrence?

Serious question, I have no idea.
  • dodgy wrote:
    Style over substance.

I don't know about failure rates, but I carry a spare link and can fix a snapped chain without too much hassle, how would you fix a broken belt?
    Maybe i'm missing something but i don't really see the advantage of a belt drive.
    Bird AM Zero (On Order :D )
    Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 (stolen :evil: )
    Cube Road SL
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    dodgy wrote:
    Style over substance.

I don't know about failure rates, but I carry a spare link and can fix a snapped chain without too much hassle, how would you fix a broken belt?
    Maybe i'm missing something but i don't really see the advantage of a belt drive.

From the literature I've read, belt drives are "sold" on their cleanliness & maintenance-free aspects - no lubrication required, less-frequent cog/sprocket replacement etc. Slightly lighter than a chain, but efficiency is probably quite similar overall - ISTR a study showing that it depended on power output and tension pre-loading.

You're right that a broken belt can't be fixed; they're extremely unlikely to be available over the counter at any bike shop, so unless you've a spare, a snapped belt means the end of a ride.

Additionally, you're obliged to couple it with hub gearing unless you want to ride single-speed; again, these tend to be more expensive than standard running gear.

However, the fact that major manufacturers continue to offer belt drive models shows that people must be buying them.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Snapped belt is very unlikely but when I ran a Trek SS with Gates carbon belt drive it was really finicky about the tension / alignment and I'd get what felt and sounded like the belt jumping a tooth or rubbing noises if it was not perfect. Never really managed to get it 100% for long but it was a lovely quiet transmission when it was running well and I loved the fact that maintenance of the belt was just to wipe with a sponge every so often.
  • dodgy
    dodgy wrote:
    Style over substance.

Ah I see, thought you were talking from knowledge and experience. FWIW, it's a similar technology to a car cam belt, which do break occasionally, but in a car they're spinning at thousands of revs per minute and under immense torque.

Not like on a bicycle.
  • iPete
    It's a bike aimed at a trendy city pootler, not someone riding 25miles through remote highlands in freezing rain, carrying enough tools to run a bike shop and panniers in-case they find some tasty roadkill for supper.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The strain on a belt on a bike can be much higher than in a car. Relatively easy to get circa 1600N into it. (80Kg rider standing on one pedal when the crank arm is horizontal and with the crank arm circa double the length of the radius of the sprocket)

You can't (very obvious really) submit a belt to a torque!

They were originally sold also on longevity but had to drop that claim when they found they weren't, sure they last longer than a chain, but nowhere near as long as originally claimed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wouldn't it be fairly easy to carry a spare belt? or would it be such a pain to fit that you wouldn't?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Actually fitting it is probably not too much of a pain - there will be a split somewhere on the drive side, chainstay or, with my Trek it was at the dropout arrangement. Not sure how easy it is to get onto the 'cogs' but once on you'd probably need to fiddle with the tension etc - not really a roadside job IMHO.
    Harleys use the same belts so I'd have thought that they should be pretty capable but in practice it does seem that for bikes they work ok for relatively gentle use and regular, hard, all weather commutes up and down hill sees little problems raise their heads.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've snapped a belt.

I over tensioned it and it snapped 5 miles into my ride to work so I had to walk home and change bikes. Swapping a belt over is child's play. Getting the right tension on it in the middle of nowhere isn't. Gates now have a phone app that gauges tension by listening to the noise it makes when you twang it.

Not sure how accurate it is by the side of a busy main road in the rain.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Just got an email from Canyon (after buying one of their MTB's, I must be on their mailing list). They're now taking UK orders for the Commuter.

Commuter 7.0
    £1,599

Commuter 7.0 SL
    £1,499

Looks like the only difference is... The 7.0 is belt drive, while 7.0 SL uses the typical bike chain.
    https://www.canyon.com/en/urban/series/urban.html
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Epic thread revival, but!!!!

Surely the reason for the sloping head tube is to prevent "impact" injuries in a crash. The most common reason for being admitted to hospital I hear the other day is "groin impact" on the frame or stem.

If you hit something that knocks you into your stem you slide up it instead of smashing your plumbs into the tube.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Hmm, under the cycle to work limit and they might have a hope. That just looks far too expensive.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Although grey XLarge with the belt drive already sold out or at least showing as no availabilty this season; Large is wait till August