Canyon Commuter

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited April 2015 in Commuting chat
Been keeping an eye on Eurobike for their CX offerings, but the commuter looks interesting.
Not for me, but still...
Integrated lights, disc brakes, belt drive, full guards

http://www.canyon.com/_en/eurobike2014/urban.html

zVCiYfO.png

http://www.canyon.com/eurobike2014/down ... yer_EN.pdf
http://www.canyon.com/eurobike2014/down ... zin_EN.pdf
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• Why exactly do they feel the need to make the top tube go at that stupid angle into the stem? I think the same about certain bastard-ugly Looks, but at least they have the pitiful excuse of aerodynamics for making it look so stupid. All it means is that you can't adjust the stem height or indeed change the stem at all without buying the specific one. Awful.
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    wash your mouth out. Looks are not ugly.

Most Looks are lovely, this is not:

file_61_355.jpg
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    edited August 2014
    The Denny looked to be a better commuter - included rack & lock.

SEA-TEAGUExSizemoreBicycles_DENNY.jpg
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    edited August 2014
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Awful.

+1
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Just looks awkward and impractical to me. Apparently it "...goes beyond form following function...". Into what, I'm not sure.

Mind you, there are some far fuglier bikes in that catalogue.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I like my commuter bikes impractical, aggressive and fast.

I like it but it is a little fugly.

I also absolutely love the straight lines/ geometry/top tube of the Aeroad!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'd rather have one of these:

Canyon%20Aeroad%20CF%20SLX%20-%20full%20bike.jpg
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    I suspect that it is not designed for UK markets whatsoever but for the German/Dutch commuter chic set
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Need to raise the handle bar by a foot in that case!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,625
    Or lower the seat and install flat pedals.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Would need Butterfly bars surely?

Integrated stems have an aero advantage but no other, on a flat barred commuter they are just daft, besides in the photo of the integrated front light it looks like you'd be stuck with the stem and bar geometry provided.

The new Specialized Diverge looks like it's been designed to be a commuter - and looks good (to me) - all except the lack of guard mounts on the forks (on the frame at the rear), rather a dodgy oversight there!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Christ Alive, my eyes!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Juuro
    Juuro Posts: 1
    edited August 2014
    Hm, I do like it very much. I think the integrated lights and the belt drive could be very convenient. I just wonder what it will cost...
  • il_principe
    Not sure how Canyon intend to sell that given they are online only. Most 'commuter' cyclists wont even know that Canyon exist.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    edited August 2014
    Not sure how Canyon intend to sell that given they are online only. Most 'commuter' cyclists wont even know that Canyon exist.

Precisely my thought. I could imagine this receiving lots of attention in amongst the rows of bikes in the average Evans store but, without that shop-front exposure, the vast majority of its target market will never know it exists. Is Canyon considering a franchise business model?

Oh, and,

I see they took a Giant Propel and gave it the same paint job as my Foil. Nice work.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Even more so as it's not listed on the 'uk' website under products, nor does it show up if you do a search!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dhope
    vermin wrote:

Precisely my thought. I could imagine this receiving lots of attention in amongst the rows of bikes in the average Evans store but, without that shop-front exposure, the vast majority of its target market will never know it exists. Is Canyon considering a franchise business model?

They've also changed their entry level Roadlite AL to flat bars instead of drops, as part of a 'Fitness' range (consisting of just that model). So maybe.
    The urban and fitness tags are certainly more at home in Evans than only available on a website.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe
    vermin wrote:

Oh, and,

I see they took a Giant Propel and gave it the same paint job as my Foil. Nice work.

Not sure about that - all Aero bikes do look similar, but I don't think the Propel is that close:

large-2014_Giant_Propel_Advanced_3.jpg

The F8 is similar as well:

P15_F8_Naked_Red.jpg

Also the Canyon will likely be far better VFM.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    True. I was going to say the Foil at first, but it was the horizontal cross bar and the wheel-hugging seat tube shape that clinched it for the Propel.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388

I don't know how or why but I think that given the huge amounts of R&D they ve been doing across Road, MTB and Urban ranges this year I can't believe that they re going to remain online for ever...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • il_principe
    ddraver wrote:

I don't know how or why but I think that given the huge amounts of R&D they ve been doing across Road, MTB and Urban ranges this year I can't believe that they re going to remain online for ever...

They've been doing loads of R&D since the off. If they go physical they'll lose their competitive advantage. Be surprised if they do. May invest more in their local support etc though.
  • dhope
    ddraver wrote:

They've been doing loads of R&D since the off. If they go physical they'll lose their competitive advantage. Be surprised if they do. May invest more in their local support etc though.
    You're a marketingy sort aren't you IP?
    Join up and get us the inside scoop. And discounts
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/about_us/jobs.html
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe
    dhope wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

You're a marketingy sort aren't you IP?
    Join up and get us the inside scoop. And discounts
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/about_us/jobs.html

Not any more. Actually work in cycling these days...
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Don't hate that canyon despite the (agreed) silly stem/top tube arrangement but I cant see any rack mounts. Who on earth would design a commuter bike without rack mounts? I appreciate some people prefer rucsacs and messenger bags - fair enough - but a chunk of your market will want a rack.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    jedster wrote:
    Don't hate that canyon despite the (agreed) silly stem/top tube arrangement but I cant see any rack mounts. Who on earth would design a commuter bike without rack mounts? I appreciate some people prefer rucsacs and messenger bags - fair enough - but a chunk of your market will want a rack.

I may be generalising here, but usually it is women who want a rack. Men just want to look at them and pass comment on them to other like-minded souls.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dhope
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    jedster wrote:

I may be generalising here, but usually it is women who want a rack. Men just want to look at them and pass comment on them to other like-minded souls.

Just noticed the 'entry level' Roadlite comes with a choice or 105 or Ultegra, and hydraulic disc brakes. So that's not quite as entry level as I thought. Could be a rapid hybrid
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    jedster wrote:

The web site claims the commuter bike has "mudguards that double up as luggage racks". Dunno how that works...
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • dhope
    Eeek, top of the range commuter is £1500. That's a lot for something so niche.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo