Rear Derailleur Not Compatible?

DanielG15
DanielG15 Posts: 10
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
My 6/7 speed Shimano Tourney mech broke on me so I bought a 7/8 speed Shimano Alivio M410 to replace it. When I fitted the new derailleur, the bike would not shift any lower than third gear even after adjusting the H L screws and the cable tension. My LBS then told me that the new derailleur isn't compatible with my shifter (Shimano Altus EF51 EZ Fire Plus). Is this correct? If so, what shifter would be compatible? Thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are wrong. It should work. Detach the cable totally, unscrew both limit screws and check if it reaches each side of the cassette moving it by hand.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DanielG15
    cooldad wrote:
    They are wrong. It should work. Detach the cable totally, unscrew both limit screws and check if it reaches each side of the cassette moving it by hand.
    Okay, thanks! I'll give that a try tomorrow and let you know the results.
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    The shifter needs to be in the correct gear when you attach the cable.

If it wasn't when you attached the cable you won't be able to shift into all the gears.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And find a new LBS!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DanielG15
    DanielG15 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Okay, thanks! I'll give that a try tomorrow and let you know the results.
    Tried this and managed to move it onto each side by hand (just about)
  • DanielG15
    cobba wrote:
    The shifter needs to be in the correct gear when you attach the cable.

If it wasn't when you attached the cable you won't be able to shift into all the gears.
    I tried reattaching the cable ensuring the shifter was in the correct gear but it still won't go into first gear
  • DanielG15
    The Rookie wrote:
    And find a new LBS!
    It was Halfords so what can you expect :wink:
  • The Rookie
    Some are good, some are bad, and I've had worse from a small single retailer.

Does it shift correctly across each gear and just not reach the extreme, if not it's possible you've routed the cable wrong which changes the cable pull ratio and can cause your exact symptom.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DanielG15
    The Rookie wrote:
    Some are good, some are bad, and I've had worse from a small single retailer.

Does it shift correctly across each gear and just not reach the extreme, if not it's possible you've routed the cable wrong which changes the cable pull ratio and can cause your exact symptom.
    No it does not. How can I address this issue?
  • The Rookie
    Show us a photo of where the cable is clamped to the rear mech and we can see if it's wrong.
  • DanielG15
    The Rookie wrote:
    Show us a photo of where the cable is clamped to the rear mech and we can see if it's wrong.
    http://imgur.com/VGCVBWZ
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    The 90 degree bend in the cable doesn't look good. Possibly the outer is too short?

Looking again, is the mech mounted on the hanger correctly so it's not rotated forward?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Possibly? No, you need new cables and outer at the back with a nice smooth run in to to mech. That'll never work
  • DanielG15
    Antm81 wrote:
    The 90 degree bend in the cable doesn't look good. Possibly the outer is too short?

Looking again, is the mech mounted on the hanger correctly so it's not rotated forward?
    What do you mean by not rotated forward?
  • DanielG15
    Possibly? No, you need new cables and outer at the back with a nice smooth run in to to mech. That'll never work
    The inner cable is brand new but I'll get a new outer
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    New inner too. You've ruined that one. They are about £1.50 from Wilkos. The mangled bit will be in the middle of the outer and that will drag
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    There'll be stops on both the mech itself and the hanger, if they weren't lined up when the mech was fitted it can rotate on the bolt connecting the two
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    New inner too. You've ruined that one. They are about £1.50 from Wilkos. The mangled bit will be in the middle of the outer and that will drag
    This and lube that chain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    cooldad wrote:
    This and lube that chain.

Maybe too late for that, best to get a new chain as well they are very cheap for 7/8 speed.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    The rear cable loop should be similar to this.
    24d3mzq.jpg