Shimano 105 levers hard to press on the hoods?

2»

Comments

• bluedoggy
    bluedoggy Posts: 284
    g00se wrote:
    Bluedoggy wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    As others have suggested, it may be counter-intuitive but backing off the brake pads so that they have to travel further before touching the wheel may help. This means that initial pull of the levers is easier and when they make contact with the wheels, you have pulled the lever far enough that your hand is less stretched out and application of force is alot easier.

That is what I did for my son. Bought the shims but never got around to fitting them because he finds the above really sorted it out and he is now happy.

Thanks, Will try it.

This - I had my campag levers set up in a shop with so little initial travel, that braking from the hoods killed my hands. I added some play back in and it was back to normal.

Personally, I have the levers set so it's full on with the lever assembly about 5-10mm from touching the curve of the bars. That way, you hand is much further closed when you hit the resistance and squeezing is easier.

How do you back the pads from the rim?
    Wilier cento uno.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    On the calipers there should be a turny knob thing just as the cable goes into them, turn that and it'll either make the brake pads go closer or further away.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Bluedoggy wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    As others have suggested, it may be counter-intuitive but backing off the brake pads so that they have to travel further before touching the wheel may help. This means that initial pull of the levers is easier and when they make contact with the wheels, you have pulled the lever far enough that your hand is less stretched out and application of force is alot easier.

That is what I did for my son. Bought the shims but never got around to fitting them because he finds the above really sorted it out and he is now happy.

Thanks, Will try it.

I suggested exactly this back on the 19th January!!! :?
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    On the calipers there should be a turny knob thing just as the cable goes into them, turn that and it'll either make the brake pads go closer or further away.

Screw it in (turn it clockwise, looking down on it) to give the pads more clearance. I said to do this back on the 19th Jan too. :roll:
  • bluedoggy
    bluedoggy Posts: 284
    DKay wrote:

Screw it in (turn it clockwise, looking down on it) to give the pads more clearance. I said to do this back on the 19th Jan too. :roll:

Sorry, you did. Having a blonde moment! :)
    Wilier cento uno.