Leg Length Doscrep Solution?

pippi_langsamer-2
pippi_langsamer-2 Posts: 1,470
Not sure if this should be in here or workshop....

There’s a fair chance I’m being stupid here, but is there any logic (or contrary), to using different length cranks to accommodate leg length discreps?

One of my legs is apparently shorter than the other which a few years back led to some painful ITB Syndrome issues. This was resolved with off the bike exercises and shims on my shoes, but I’m wondering if there’s a way of doing away with the shims and running say…. my usual 175 crank on one side, and say…165mm on other in an attempt to “balance”, things up.

I ran two shims (6mm total), on the shorter leg last year on Speedplay specific shoes/ soles, so the additional stack wasn’t too bad as it was already very low without having to use Speedplay plate adaptors. Change of team and shoes this year means im using S-Works shoes in non-SP specific sole, so have to add the adaptor shims in addition to the 6mm shims, which makes the shoe look ridiculous, but I’m more concerned with possible instability/ rocking as a result of such a high stack.

Just wondering…..

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Defo go shim rather than crank. If you go with a shorter crank with the shorter leg then the shorter leg is effectively 'reaching' more at the top of the stroke compared to the longer one...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Defo go shim rather than crank. If you go with a shorter crank with the shorter leg then the shorter leg is effectively 'reaching' more at the top of the stroke compared to the longer one...

Exactly. I guess the shorter leg plus shorter crank will also give you less leverage aswell. I'd say shim aswell, if you move your cleat slightly further rearwards, it should help with the rocking. Which part of your leg is shorter?
  • styxd wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Exactly. I guess the shorter leg plus shorter crank will also give you less leverage aswell. I'd say shim aswell, if you move your cleat slightly further rearwards, it should help with the rocking. Which part of your leg is shorter?

Thats the problem- I dont know which part it is thats longer :?

Ah well, shim it is then.
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    Glad I found this. I've been suffering from back pain for months. Slipped a disc last summer, but from seeing physio today they've now identified my left leg is longer than the right. Probably down to hip flexor imbalances.

Cany anyone advise the best place to get shims? I use SPD's on the commute and CX bikes, and SPD SL's on the road, so would need both varieties. Thanks.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    y33stu wrote:
    Glad I found this. I've been suffering from back pain for months. Slipped a disc last summer, but from seeing physio today they've now identified my left leg is longer than the right. Probably down to hip flexor imbalances.

Cany anyone advise the best place to get shims? I use SPD's on the commute and CX bikes, and SPD SL's on the road, so would need both varieties. Thanks.

Give Adrian Timmis a call at www.cadencesport.co.uk - good advice and he sells them. Even better, get yourself a fit there. Your back will love it!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach