Golf mark 5 gti 2005

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited March 2015 in The cake stop
Looking at a petrol with 97k miles on the clock. Anyone got any experience/advice? Its had a cambelt replaced which is a common issue for these cars. other than that apparently no problems.

Comments

• pesky_jones
    and apparently brakes, battery and tyres changed. Makes me think its been ragged.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,391
    10 year old car I'd say it's normal to replace brakes, tyres and battery. I wouldn't expect any of them to last 10 years. I'm weary of people that say the cam belt has been changed. Unless I'm absolutely certain it has been done I do it myself anyway.
    What state the tyres were in before they were changed would give more indication that the car had been ragged. But it's a GTi so being ragged is kind of the point surely.
  • pesky_jones
    Ok that's reassuring. It's my friend who is selling, and she said she changed the cambelt - I trust her. I know it will have been ragged, but I want to be able to continue ragging it!
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    These are good cars with a good reputation. They last better than some.

Nonetheless, it is 10 years old and you are paying for a name and a reputation.

If it is a friend, you may know how long she's had it and how she drives and looks after it.

Cars are becoming (or have become) increasingly like white goods. They have a life and that's it.

The GTi is no longer the 'street racer' it once was - and hasn't been so for quite a few generations. The Mk V was just a swifter and better-specced version of the workaday Golf. If it is a nice one, it is a nice one.

If you like the car and the insurance isn't too steep, go for it. But remember it is ten years old. The mileage is average, although it suggests only 10k a year, which seems low. But might be perfectly legit.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Mine still runs pretty spot on with 100k on the clock (2003) too heavy to compete with a type R but fun to drive and better refinement than the type R.

Can't remember when I did a full brake change may have only happened once but I doubt that. I'll admit I can thrash my car but that is why I bought a GTi, so I could shift through the gears at high revs.

Few marks and issues with mine now after more than 11 years of graft (03 plate) but engine turns over first time and my repair bills/running costs are pretty small. Not that I would spend massive money should it fail as I look for a new car anyway. I have FSH and always had anything checked out when I thought it may have been a problem (rarely was)
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pesky_jones
    She likes to drive fast, and she wasn't the first owner. Think I'll sleep on it but might go for it. Cheers
  • reds99
    reds99 Posts: 46
    Ive always factored in the cost of a cambelt change when buying a 2nd hand car. Peace of mind so to speak.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Our Mk5 Golf, a 2004 2.0 Sport GTD has been fine, 130000 miles and almost nothing has gone wrong.

What has spoiled a great track record has been the unreliable door locks. Had two of them changed at £250 ago. Had exactly the same problems with our Mk4 too (had to change three0. Doors either won't open from the inside, or the outside, or at al. Bit of a nightmare to fix.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I owned one of these for quite a while,fantastic cars. Check for the rear wiper motor playing up as its a known fault,you will know as when the ignition is turned on the rear wiper will just start going by itself ! Also check the upper rear brake light as these also like to fail and are fiddly to replace,VW will charge around 300 notes for the pleasure !

Secondly get it mapped,transforms them from standard :twisted:

Had mine done at R-Tech (Hinkley)
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Had a 2005 Mkv GTI for 2 years then changed it for the MKV R32 , I still miss that car and love seeing them today!! Such a cracking car!!
  • pesky_jones
    Not going for the original one I opened the thread for - turned out she didn't have any of the service history and thinks she was the 6th owener so... But I found another one for around the same mileage. This ones 1 2007. Think I'm going to pick it up this weekend , fingers crossed someone else doesn't snap it up before me! Thanks for all the comments!
  • pesky_jones
    Secondly get it mapped,transforms them from standard :twisted:

Doesn't that turn it into like 300 bhp :twisted: Think that'll be a bit too fast for me
  • Secondly get it mapped,transforms them from standard :twisted:

Doesn't that turn it into like 300 bhp :twisted: Think that'll be a bit too fast for me

I draw the line at 500bhp. Otherwise, it's not enough.
  • pesky_jones
    I know Cambridge quite well, whereabouts exactly are you using these 500 brake horses :wink:
  • It's all in the legs, buddy :)
  • pesky_jones
    What do you guys think on this.. two different cars

One from Clapham south London - 100,000miles that's probably been driven in short journeys around the city - considerably more gear changes, clutch use etc

One that's had more than 4 owners?
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Whichever has the detailed history, checking for last brake and cam belt changes :)
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pesky_jones
    They both have a full service history! Both have had timing belt changed, not sure about brakes

The first one is much closer to me an easier to get to - and I'm not even sure its had more than 4 owners, but the seller says he doesn't know how many its had. I told him to check the log book tonight to find out so am preparing for worst. Think if its four or less i'll go for it. Plus its cheaper
  • Put the money towards a new bike instead!

Cars are overrated.
  • pesky_jones
    Bearing in mind it would go on a mountain bike (which it isn't going to) would you still advise this :wink:
  • Oh yes, even more so. Much practical. the difference is like a gti to a Mercedes 6X6 monster.

At least you know it'll have one previous owner, you can ride it as hard as you want without worry (that's what she said) and repairs are cheap (she also said that too).
  • upperoilcan

Stage 1 will give you HP gains of around 40-50' Stage 2 will see the car go to about 270-280 HP,It's the Torque gains that make the difference,although a normal Gti has a K03 Turbo (Edition 30's and the Pirelli models have the bigger K04) if you go to Stage 2 or Stage 2+ then you need to change the fuel pump,clutch,and exhaust ! It gets rather expensive !!!

Also be aware that if the car your looking at has the laser cut "Monza" alloys check they have no signs of white worm as its a costly job to get them refurbed ! (Google it)
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    At those mileages you need to ascertain if they are still on the original clutch, shocker absorbers, springs, suspension ball joints and bushes, If all those components are tired the car won't be nice to drive regardless of how tuned up the engine is. If have your own tools and you can do your own repairs then it's not so bad, however if you are paying a garage to do the work, get those jobs costed and negotiate the purchase price of the vehicle down.

Brake discs/pads and tyres are relatively easy to check visually for wear and straight forward to replace.
    I wouldn't buy a car without a full service history, more important with a performance car.
  • pesky_jones
    DJ 58 - I will look through service history for these changes. Its not a deal breaker if one or two are original is it?

Upperoilcan - Thanks a lot, I'll check for white worm.

Also, here are some things ive been advised to keep an eye out for. Besides obvious changes such as cambelt and brake pads

Diverter valve
    Cam follower
    Positive Crankcase Ventilation System
    Rusty wings
    Cv boot failures
    Standing on rear tyres to listen out for wheel bearing failure

I've been told some of these I can do myself

I know nothing of engines. I am getting the feeling of when i first got into mtb in terms of the mechanics/hobby/expense :roll: :twisted:
  • upperoilcan

Also, here are some things ive been advised to keep an eye out for. Besides obvious changes such as cambelt and brake pads

Diverter valve
    Cam follower
    Positive Crankcase Ventilation System
    Rusty wings
    Cv boot failures
    Standing on rear tyres to listen out for wheel bearing failure

If standard,the Diverter valve will be a revision C, these are prone to splitting which causes lack of boost from the turbo,either look to replace with either a revision D or G ( many discussions as to which ones the best,I went for a G) The Cam follower should be done when the Timing belt is done along with the Water Pump,not heard of the Crankcase Ventilation System problems,Rusty wings are not common place but have been known to occur on the front arches, CV boot failures are wear and tear,I had both mine done during my ownership !

Good luck !
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • pesky_jones
    So... I've bought one! I may have kept this a little bit secret but I've passed my test today as well! insurance isn't pretty at £2000 but the car certainly is. Thanks for all the advice guys! Cheers.

P.S upperoilcan - I got the Pm but couldn't quite stretch to a ED30, as much as I'd love to. In the car park outside work there's a newer mk ED35?!
  • upperoilcan
    Glad you got it sorted mate,and the Edition 35 is a cracking car. :D
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.