Looking at getting first real road bike

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No, get a decent bike from wherever you can by doing your homework and lose as much weight as you can (assuming you are overweight in the first place) without it being in any way linked to the weight of your bike.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    No, get a decent bike from wherever you can by doing your homework and lose as much weight as you can (assuming you are overweight in the first place) without it being in any way linked to the weight of your bike.

The problem is that among beginners you will find that some miracle conversions applies... many are still convinced that 100 grams off the bike equates to 10 Kg around the waist... whilst the ratio is more like 1:1

In light of this, it is never a bad idea to remind people of the wonder properties of a healthy lifestyle as opposed to the miracle properties of a lighter bike
    left the forum March 2023
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Carbonator wrote:

The problem is that among beginners you will find that some miracle conversions applies... many are still convinced that 100 grams off the bike equates to 10 Kg around the waist... whilst the ratio is more like 1:1

In light of this, it is never a bad idea to remind people of the wonder properties of a healthy lifestyle as opposed to the miracle properties of a lighter bike
    I agree people count grams on the bike and ignore kilograms on the rider which lacks perspective.
    However, the problem is this has turned into a trend where anyone beginner or not, who asks about reducing the weight of their bike has their body weight called into question within a post or two. Surely everyone is capable of understanding that reducing bike weight does not preclude you from losing body weight and vice versa. Also body weight may already be exactly where you want it in which case it's kinda ridiculous for someone to suggest you should lose weight.
  • Anonymous
    It's not like it's 1:1 either.
    Riding a 22lb bike when you weigh 14 stone is very different to riding a 16lb one at 14 stone 6lb IME.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Carbonator wrote:
    It's not like it's 1:1 either.
    Riding a 22lb bike when you weigh 14 stone is very different to riding a 16lb one at 14 stone 6lb IME.
    For feel on the bike I'd prefer an extra kg on me and a kg less on the bike but for all other purposes I'd prefer that the weight bike contains the extra weight!
  • Anonymous
    Just do both I always say ;-)

Its all about feel on/of the bike though isn't it?
    Once you have the light bike its weight will not fluctuate, but the rider can do what they chose with theirs.

A new light bike (to replace your existing heavy one) will also normally have two other benefits.
    It will be new, and will probably have better spec. Neither of those two things can be made up for by the rider losing a few pounds.

None of this applies to the OP/this post though.
    I was never saying the OP/anyone should be that concerned about the weight of his/their first bike.
  • Well the Defy landed yesterday. Ive put it together and checked it over and for £400 .... its a thing of beauty. I guess a £1k bike may have been more special when I get on the road but I think Ive made the right choice for sure. Its light and good looking so Im a happy fat bloke !