VooDoo Hoodoo HT

dj58
dj58 Posts: 2,217
edited February 2015 in MTB general
Collected one of these this afternoon from a local branch of Halfords, it is for my nephew who has outgrown his existing HT MTB. Purchased through Top Cash Back and Halfords website, reserve and collect with a £100 off at the moment, plus 10% BC discount and with the cash back got it for £348.

Spotted a couple of things that weren't set up correctly, brake lever and shifters were at the wrong angle, asked the guy who was dealing with me to rotate them down, also the rear hydraulic brake hose was not clipped into one of the top tube and seat stay mounts, also asked him to sort that out, which he did. He hadn't built it up, I asked him if he had.

Couldn't fault him, late forties/early fifties a mechanic and club cyclist, gave me some good tips like only using Isopropyl alcohol to clean the disc rotors, washing the bike with a low pressure garden type sprayer, not using aerosol GT85 to lube the chain and derailleurs as it was likely to go everywhere and contaminate the discs and pads, recommended a wax type chain lube. Seemed knowledgeable and genuinely interested in me as a customer, which was nice.

Question, the bike has Maxxis Ardent 26" x 2.25" tyres, not used Maxxis tyres before, what do you guys think, any good? Not sure whether they are the single or dual compound tyre. Type of riding will be natural xc terrain, forestry commission woodland, fire roads, some road sections, canal towpath.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try them and see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Maxxis tyres are all single compound, they dont make a dual compound. Ardents are reasonable tyres but whether or not they work for you on your local trails can only be decided by you trying them.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    OK will do, just been looking at the Maxxis website, says they are a do-it-all trail tyre. Thanks for the replies.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Maxxis tyres are all single compound, they dont make a dual compound.

That's just plain wrong, surely?
    plenty of their tyres are available in Dual compound - 62a/70a , then you have the "3C" triple compounds - MaxxSpeed, MaxxTerra and MaxxGrip.