Which 11 Speed 32h Disc Hub

2»

Comments

• bruto0 wrote:
    they may yet be (11 speed) if that thing takes off for MTB
    it's only 1.85mm of freehub room to make, some people can do it with a file :)
    and they're not as expensive as Hopes or DT swiss anyway

Could you, however, elaborate a bit on the exceptionality?

About the same... I paid 200 quid for a pair last year.
    The front is good, like most front hubs. The rear has a massive free hub mechanism which runs with incredibly low drag (which you notice downhill) and has virtually zero pickup delay, which you do notice when riding off road on tiny gears... makes re-clipping in the pedal easier and getting out of a dip easier.
    I've probably done 5000 miles on them and all the bearings run smooth. Th only thing I am not sure about is the big outboard bearing around the free hub, not sure how to remove it when it comes the time, but I am sure there is a way. The rear is probably 100 grams heavier than a standard hub, but it's all mechanics, so it comes useful
    left the forum March 2023
  • there're cheaper high-engagement hubs though :) I'm looking at Chosen's MGC ones ATM myself (bunch of small ratchets on each pawl and it's wedged between the freehub and the ratchet ring by your pedaling force to provide the no slip grip)
    where this one stands out is supposedly increased durability due to the big-ass bearing
    decisions, decisions
  • bruto0 wrote:
    there're cheaper high-engagement hubs though :) I'm looking at Chosen's MGC ones ATM myself (bunch of small ratchets on each pawl and it's wedged between the freehub and the ratchet ring by your pedaling force to provide the no slip grip)
    where this one stands out is supposedly increased durability due to the big-ass bearing
    decisions, decisions

I tend to avoid Chosen and Bitex, mainly because spares are often hard to source... getting a bit better though, I've seen some German sites stock Bitex spares.
    With Novatec you can buy pretty much every single spare
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Ugo, the Novatec D712 and D772 freehub are identical. The seal should always be present. The freehub used is Type B2 and there are two versions. One with 3 pawls and one with 4. They are interchangeable.

The CX-75 hubs use ultegra internals and freehubs not XT bits. I have never found XT hubs to be hit or mis neither 105 but then again I may have hit as I don't use them much.

Shimano XTR is you don't mind 10 speed are about as good as disc brake hubs get. Often forgetn about. There needs to be an 11 speed version called the CX-95.

I think ugo is quite fastidious with servincing. I am less inclined to service so regulary, in fact I don't. Novatec hubs will survive neglet, personally I would ride them until the bearings go south and then replace them all and repeat. There should be several 1000 miles between bearing changes. The good thing about cartridge bearing hubs they can be restored to as new condition. If the freehub body is good but bearings are ropey the Type B2 freehub has replaceable bearings (no circlip holding them in place that is hard to get out). The freehubs are available though and cheap if you want to change it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Hmmm, how would you think the Novatech would fair on a winter commuter/club run bike, so pretty much used in all weathers and just slung to one side after each ride (mainly after commutes but could have a clean after club runs)?

Mine were 2 years old last week. I've replaced one cartridge bearing. I do probably 6k a year on them in all weathers and also use it for cyclocross.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • The CX-75 hubs use ultegra internals and freehubs not XT bits.

Check the PDFs above :) Ultegra freehub, special axle and shell (although likely not much different from XT), the rest is identical to M785 (and partially to FH/HB-6800)
  • cycleclinic
    What differentiates 6800 hubs from 5800 hubs are the bearings and cups/cones used. The bearings in fact will be the same but the tollerance on the cups and cones must be different otherwise an ultegra hub would last as long as a 105 hub. There may also be difference in the seals used. These are the internals I refer too.

CX-75 hubs are not 11 speed XT hubs, they are more like 6800 hub with 135mm OLD.
  • What differentiates 6800 hubs from 5800 hubs are the bearings and cups/cones used. The bearings in fact will be the same but the tollerance on the cups and cones must be different otherwise an ultegra hub would last as long as a 105 hub. There may also be difference in the seals used. These are the internals I refer too.

CX-75 hubs are not 11 speed XT hubs, they are more like 6800 hub with 135mm OLD.

One thing though... they could have used the Ultegra dial adjustment on the CX 75... it's very good
  • cycleclinic
    They could have but didn't and charge more for the hub as well.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I know someone on here used some Superstar hubs for their disc equipped Cotic Escapade.
  • .... I'm not familiar with Bitex and wondering if they would be worth considering as well?

Not a big fan... hate the silly free hub spring, which is basically a rubber band waiting to fail... the free hub is actually quite important, possibly the only thing that matters in the real hub... if that thing fails, you can't go home, simple as that
    Sorry,but their is no rubber band spring on bitex freehubs.

Their is a wire going around the freehub body with the only purpose to keep the pawls in place if the freehub is not installed. The pawls are loaded with small springs made of steal. The picture attached shows both.

The black rubber ring behind the pawls is a seal.
  • they must have changed the design, as it was clearly a weak point... even JRA last week told me that their newer Bitex free hubs have individually sprung pawls my experience with Bitex dates back to the 10 speed freehub 2-3 years ago, where the pawls retainer was in essence an elastic band. I did send one of those to a guy on this forum as he broke his... the thread must be still somewhere in the workshop section

EDIT: found it

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12967077&p=18856722&hilit=bitex#p18856722