Which 11 Speed 32h Disc Hub

dork_knight
dork_knight Posts: 405
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

After taking the rear wheel off a new bike I realised just how heavy the damn thing is, so I was thinking of keeping an eye out over the next couple of months in case there are any sales where I can grab a hub.

The wheel is for a Raleigh Maverick which is running SRAM and I believe it would require 135mm Quick Release Hub, preferably 32h with 6 bolt disc option.

Budget would be around £150/180-ish I guess, just wondering if the Hope 40t is the best option :unsure:

I'm not sure which rims yet but the Velocity Aileron look Ok not that it should matter.

Cheers
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comments

• The Novatec 772 is a pretty good hub for the money... the Hope still come with a 10 speed freehub... you can upgrade it, but it's hard to buy it online and the way you want it... best bet is probably to buy it from Just Riding Along and ask them to set it up for 11 speed.
    left the forum March 2023
  • The Novatec 772 is a pretty good hub for the money... the Hope still come with a 10 speed freehub... you can upgrade it, but it's hard to buy it online and the way you want it... best bet is probably to buy it from Just Riding Along and ask them to set it up for 11 speed.
  • I'll take a look at the Novatec and that's something I'll have to keep in mind about the Hope, thanks
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    Also look at Shimano CX75 hubs. Only come 28 spoke though.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Novatec D772 hub is probbaly the best and not expensive either. Hope are ncie but are they really much better thena the Novatec I am not sure. DT Swiss 350 are a real set up but cost alot more as well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Ok, the weight/cost of the Novatech look very good.

Are their parts easily available in the UK for future servicing or would they be generic parts available?

Cheers
  • Ok, the weight/cost of the Novatech look very good.

Are their parts easily available in the UK for future servicing or would they be generic parts available?

Cheers

It's pretty easy to get hold of a free hub... for everything else there is BDOP cycling... they deliver within a week typically. Bearings are bearings. Novatec is actually the only hub where you can replace the internal ratchet ring should you need to
  • rozzer32
    Sorry to hijack but I'm in the same position as the OP. Problem is I have a 15mm thru axle on the front of my CX bike. From BDOP it would be $240 for a pair of hubs which is about £150. I was thinking of going Shimano CX75 rear hub and Shimano XT front hub and you can get them for about £130, only issue being would have to have 32h front and 28h rear but seeing as I'll get them built up on Velocity Aileron I can't see that being an issue.

Do you think the Shimano would be better than the Novatech? I've never used Novatech but got Dura Ace 9000 hubs on the best wheels and think they are fantastic.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I will be getting end caps for 15mm bolt thru axles soon. Also look at DT Swiss 350 hubs. They maybe pricey but come in the versions you need and 28H front and rear.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Are the DT Swiss 350 Disc 11 Speed Compatible out of box (I just had a search and couldn't see much info other than conversion kits around the £55 mark)?
  • rozzer32
    It seems the normal road 350 hubs are 11 speed. But the disc 350 hubs only seem 10 speed. I'm after 11 speed as well.
  • Going by that info, which is pretty much what I've found so far as well, then the cost would be rather high if you had to spend an additional £55 for a 11 kit ~ I guess that would put it in the White Industries CX11 price range, not that I've seen that hub on UK sites
  • For my own wheels I always use Novatec... I own a pair of 771/772 and a pair of 541/542 they are the easiest to take apart, service, clean and replace parts if need be.. if you are a DIY person, Novatec (or Hope) all the way. The Shimano have a sealed free hub that you can't service, cup and cone bearings that you can grease but are hard to replace completely if worn...
    On the other hand, if you plan to never touch them, something like CX 75 should be well sealed enough to get you through the worst with no maintenance
  • rozzer32
    I'd quite like some hope hubs but they only seem 10 speed on their disc hubs. Or am I wrong?
  • You can get 11 speed, as ugo said; best bet is probably to buy it from Just Riding Along and ask them to set it up for 11 speed.

http://www.justridingalong.com/parts/wh ... -2565.html
  • Don't be snob and get the Novatec... in many ways they are superior... shells are forged prior to machining, something they don't do at Hope, for instance.
    The only downside is that you have to keep the freehub clean, lubed and dry, otherwise the spring rusts and the bearings seize, but it's not a big job... if you are going as far as building a wheel, then you can service a hub
  • Hmmm, how would you think the Novatech would fair on a winter commuter/club run bike, so pretty much used in all weathers and just slung to one side after each ride (mainly after commutes but could have a clean after club runs)?
  • Hmmm, how would you think the Novatech would fair on a winter commuter/club run bike, so pretty much used in all weathers and just slung to one side after each ride (mainly after commutes but could have a clean after club runs)?

Bicycles are not cars that only need one service per year, my take is that if you are not prepared to do some basic maintenance, it's not even worth spending money on a decent bike in the first place. It's just laziness as it really only takes 5 minutes to service the hub. We like to blame a busy family schedule, but really it's bollox... you find the time if you want to.

However, Ultegra/CX 75 are probably the best sealed units, followed by Hope... XT are more 105 level and therefore more a hit and a miss. The Novatec definitively want to be kept in good order. When I build them for someone I always show them how to take them apart and service them... only a minority do
  • My Sunday bike tends to get a hose and wash/wipe down after club runs, the commuter not so much, by the time I get home it just gets left until the next commute (usually commute 3 times per week) and gets cleaned every three weeks or so.

When two/three weeks have gone by during some of the filthier weeks you can imagine the state of the bike and sure, most of that will be down to laziness.

If the Novatech can survive a typical winter with a self service for the spring then that's fine by me, your previous comments made me a bit concerned that they might be overly susceptible to winter weather.
  • If the Novatech can survive a typical winter with a self service for the spring then that's fine by me, your previous comments made me a bit concerned that they might be overly susceptible to winter weather.

I'm not sure the new 772 freehub is as well sealed as the older 712 one. The ones in the UK seem to have a missing seal... at least mine is missing the seal
  • rozzer32
    The hubs for me are going to be for off road training/racing wheels. So they will get a lot of abuse and dirt. I have no problem maintaining things and I normally give my wheels a service each year. But I'm wondering if the better sealed Shimano option might be better for my use.
  • rozzer32 wrote:
    The hubs for me are going to be for off road training/racing wheels. So they will get a lot of abuse and dirt. I have no problem maintaining things and I normally give my wheels a service each year. But I'm wondering if the better sealed Shimano option might be better for my use.

Once a year is not enough by any standard... I probably service my rear hubs every month... basically you only get out what you put in... Try the CX 75, if the seals are as good as the road Ultegra ones then they might survive with little or no care at all... don't quote me in case they don't... :wink:
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 wrote:

Once a year is not enough by any standard... I probably service my rear hubs every month... basically you only get out what you put in... Try the CX 75, if the seals are as good as the road Ultegra ones then they might survive with little or no care at all... don't quote me in case they don't... :wink:

Every month?!? I definitely don't do it that often! I've got winter and summer wheels for the road bike so servicing them every year isn't quite true, say every 6 months.

Like I said I don't mind servicing them and I know I'll have to service them more due to the conditions they'll be used in. I'm just not sure the extra servicing for the novatechs are worth the benefits over the CX75. But then again I've not used the hubs and you have, so if you think they're worth it then I don't mind servicing them.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    :oops: I should give my hub a second service then.
  • I emailed Just Riding Along on Sunday and I've not long had a response, for those interested they can provide Hope in a 11 Speed (which we know) as well as the DT Swiss 350 in 11 Speed (if that's of interest rozzer32).

They also suggested another option of Pacenti SL25 Rims which would appear to be built on Bitex Hubs.... I'm not familiar with Bitex and wondering if they would be worth considering as well?
  • They also suggested another option of Pacenti SL25 Rims which would appear to be built on Bitex Hubs.... I'm not familiar with Bitex and wondering if they would be worth considering as well?

Not a big fan... hate the silly free hub spring, which is basically a rubber band waiting to fail... the free hub is actually quite important, possibly the only thing that matters in the real hub... if that thing fails, you can't go home, simple as that
  • Probably best avoided then ~ Cheers
  • why all the hype about CX75?
    according to the schematics, they're basically XT (M785) hubs with 4 fewer spoke holes at 2x the price
    http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php? ... 5-3552.pdf
    http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php? ... 5-3551.pdf
    and there's plenty of complaints about m785s

Novatec 541/542 have caught quite a bit of attention due to the design, however
    can you say anything about them, ugo.santalucia?
    certainly more expensive than cx75 or 771/772, but they seem to be built for way more than CX too
  • bruto0 wrote:

Novatec 541/542 have caught quite a bit of attention due to the design, however
    can you say anything about them, ugo.santalucia?

I've had mine for one year now... they are exceptional... they are not cheap though... or light... or 11 speed compatible
  • they may yet be (11 speed) if that thing takes off for MTB
    it's only 1.85mm of freehub room to make, some people can do it with a file :)
    and they're not as expensive as Hopes or DT swiss anyway

Could you, however, elaborate a bit on the exceptionality?