Bike for an 11 year old girl

kg211
kg211 Posts: 34
edited November 2014 in Family & kids cycling forum
My little girl has out grown her old bike, an Apollo kinx with 24" wheels. She now would like something that she can ride properly and come out with me when I go out on my mtb.
I have tried her on some 26" wheel mtb and on the smaller frames all seems well as she can pedal comfortably and reach all the controls.
She is around 4'10 and a strong lump for her age.
I realise weight counts for a lot when it comes to kids bikes, the question is do I get her a kids bike she will grow out of or normal mtb in the correct frame size for her?
Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you.

Comments

• Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Some of those really small bikes are ludicrously heavy, beware! My niece (10) had a tiny pink bike she outgrew, then she got a bike considerably bigger (about BMX size) and it was lighter than the tiny one. :? Frame size on that tiny one was probably 6" or something lol. The newer bike has to be a 10" at least.

In fact it is to be my first wheel truing "job" when she can be ars*d to bring the bike round. :roll:
  • kg211
    Thanks, I like the look of the Rockrider 8.1 but will have to try her on it. We have been on numerous ride together and she does enjoy getting muddy and laughing when I fell off as the mud was so thick.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Decathlon do care and try to give you a reasonably light bike at a reasonable price. When it comes to cycling... they take it seriously unlike a certain car part store beginning with H. :lol: I guess after those "big two" there's endless other smaller bike shops with endless deals. My only reason for going to Decathlon was they had a carbon fork on a £300 bike and reviews said it rides like a more expensive bike and so many bikes (all?) at £300 are heavier.

"Lifetime warranty for the frame, stem, handlebar and seat post on this bike."

Lifetime. :shock: Never knew they did that.

My Rockrider 5.2 and Triban 3 both said 5 years I am sure.
  • senoj
    senoj Posts: 213
    After looking at Isla and Frog bikes,(good but expensive) I did pop into Halfords today and bought a Carrera Saruna, it was reasonably light,and was well put together,quite a step up from the apollo rubbish.
    It will be perfect size wise and my plan for her olympic glory is on track.
    She is 10 next week but quite tall.
  • senoj
    senoj Posts: 213
    After looking at Isla and Frog bikes,(good but expensive) I did pop into Halfords today and bought a Carrera Saruna, it was reasonably light,and was well put together,quite a step up from the apollo rubbish.
    It will be perfect size wise and my plan for her olympic glory is on track.
    She is 10 next week but quite tall.
  • kg211
    Looks like she could be getting a rockrider, if it suits her.
    Thanks