East End geezer on a bike!

megilleland
megilleland Posts: 786
edited November 2014 in The cake stop
Tonight
Monday, 9pm, Sky 1/HD Channel 106
Series 1 of 4

Micky Flanagan's Detour de France
Romance. Wine. Philosophy. Chafing. Micky's taking you for a ride.

New series. The comedian hops across the Channel and jumps on a bicycle to sample the sights and sounds of France, joined by his best friend Noel Lynch, a brickie and cycling enthusiast. The pair start off in Calais with some essential pampering, fully aware that no cyclist worth his or her salt would hit the road without a facial or a leg wax. Then it's bon voyage as they tackle a small portion of the 150-mile race between Paris and Roubaix lovingly known as the Hell of the North. The cobbles may look pretty - but they aren't bike-friendly
The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.

Comments

• crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Can't stand Mickey Flanagan but I'll certainly give it a watch.

Sounds like someone's read 'French Revolutions' by Tim Moore and decided to do something similar on TV.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Just over halfway through the first episode...

....it's a bit crap!!
  • No substance to the programme and little interest for the cyclist. Just another bland TV filler for what is called entertainment today.
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    I think I'll be taking it off series link. Not an awful lot to commend it at all, it's like the worst kind of holiday video.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Shant bother with this. Got completely panned by TV critics during the week. Would think it's another of those programmes that got commissioned on the basis that Micky Flanagan is reasonably popular so lets give him a bit more exposure. Can't fault him for it, as I am sure that he is making hay while the sun shines. Too much of this on TV now. I see an even worse one is due to air soon ' Sue Perkins on the Mekong River'. It can only come off the back of GBBO popularity.
    Whatever next?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Shant bother with this. Got completely panned by TV critics during the week. Would think it's another of those programmes that got commissioned on the basis that Micky Flanagan is reasonably popular so lets give him a bit more exposure. Can't fault him for it, as I am sure that he is making hay while the sun shines. Too much of this on TV now. I see an even worse one is due to air soon ' Sue Perkins on the Mekong River'. It can only come off the back of GBBO popularity.
    Whatever next?

Might attract a larger audience if it were ' Sue Perkins in the Mekong River'
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Whatever next?

Might attract a larger audience if it were ' Sue Perkins in the Mekong River'

Quite.
    I am very tired of the celebrity travelogue. The only two that I have enjoyed and will still watch repeats of are Michael Palin's series of global adventures and Michael Portillo's railway journeys. They both show a genuine interest in the places visited, people met and can explain and converse very eloquently, without being too heavy going for the viewer.
    Almost forgot. Stephen Fry's USA journey through all the states was also very good indeed.

As for Mickey Flanagan adventures on a bike. Maybe some more thought could have gone in to the production. Perhaps Mickey Flanagan, Hugh Dennis and John Bishop doing some of the iconic French cycling routes would have been a better idea.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Michael Portillo's Railway Journeys are almost a bit of a guilty pleasure. It's the kind of programme you stumble across and end up strangely caught up in it. Harmless, inoffensive and educational viewing.
    I'll give Mickey Flanagan a few more weeks but it's not brilliant.
    Clive James used to do a good travelogue series.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Fry's USA programme promised so much, but he rushed through up to a dozen states per episode. Not deep enough.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    agreed about fry. rushed! 6 episodes i think! would've been great viewing over 15 to 20. why can't my phone capitalise any more :(
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I quite enjoyed it and will try to watch the rest of the series.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    The comedy he writes for his stand up is barely funny so ad lib humour is never gonna be up to much.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike