Story to tell

Pembles
Pembles Posts: 6
First post on here folks, my name is Simon, 43yr old ex road racer, raced throughout the late 80's and the 90's, gave up for marriage and family but have kept fit with running/bike/gym, decided to get back on the road earlier in the summer and have been loving it, bike fitness came back really quickly and was going great guns until July 15th.

Out for an after work 30 miler round the Cheshire lanes I had a slight mishap (to say the least) I can remember cresting a hill on the way into Madeley and waved at some cyclists having a pee in a hedge, I woke up a week later in hospital after been found with no heart beat and not breathing (clinically dead) by one of the cyclists I had passed, the guy happened to be a consultant surgeon from a local hospital, he told me I was lying on top of the bike and it looked like a slow speed crash because there wasn't much wrong with the bike, a later check of the GPS log shows me veering over to the off side and riding on for about 500m before coming to a stop, the fact I didn't crash was unbelievable, I can only assume whatever happened gave me enough time to react and slow down, he performed a precordial thump and then CPR for 25 minutes until the air ambulance landed and took me to North Staffs University Hospital.

I was kept in an induced hypothermic coma for 3 days, after which I came to with no ill affects at all, I went through test after test, the results of which are they don't know exactly what happened, no blockages, no disease etc, plumbing fine "its electrical" was how the consultant put it, I have a large heart with dilated left ventricle ( all common in endurance sports ) in fact my heart is in excellent shape apart from one minuscule scar which the consultant thinks may have been there for a while and may be a result of all training that I have done (heart remodelling) this may have caused an electrical glitch and sent the ventricles into fibrillation, he can't prove any of this though and as a result I have had an ICD fitted and after a lay off I have been given the nod to carry on training, no limit on what I can do etc, really frustrating not knowing what it was but glad the Dr was there to save my life, the man is a true hero and he's a bikie so even better.

Anyway, I thought I would share because miracles do sometimes happen.

Simon

Comments

• qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Nice story...

Good to hear your over it and doing fine though!

Just don't ask 'Cody' about how miracles happen.

:wink:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,436
    Lucky he was there. Bit spooky though. Good luck with getting back on track.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,521
    Strange, I've read your story before.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Strange, I've read your story before.

?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    A few years ago I was doing some laps in Richmond Park, and riding fairly hard with a stranger who'd passed/repassed a few times. It sounds like what I saw was very similar to what your Garmin reported, - he got about 50m in front of me, started to stray, then wobble, then fell off. Sadly he wasn't as lucky as you, even though the first car on the scene had a couple of medics in on the way back from the local hospital and they got onto him fairly quickly. IIRC they couldn't find a cause of death at the pm. Can't say I've been back in park much since.
    Count your blessings.