Forme Calver CX Sport

thegibdog
thegibdog Posts: 2,106
edited November 2014 in Cyclocross
A couple of weeks ago I had very little interest in doing any cyclocross; then I marshalled at a race and have since been scouring the web for a CX bargain! Had been looking at 2nd hand but then saw that Rutland has the Forme Calver CX Sport for £700, any reason I shouldn't buy one?

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/285290/pr ... -bike.aspx

Comments

• Nice spec, carbon fork, 105 (excl. Chainset and front mech!), decent enough brakes. Looks good to me. Don't know the brand, or that particular frame.

Cant be many with that spec/price?

It may be dearer but I really like the look of the Cannondale Tigra, lower spec, decent frame and lovely paint work.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    There's two people on the forum who own a Culver CX Sport. I got mine on C2W and pleased with it. So far put 466 trouble free miles on it, the only issue I've had is a slight knock from the BB which was cured during the first service last week. I was considering swapping the 48t outer ring for a 50t but haven't noticed any difference in the loss of 2t. I've swapped the tyres to 28c 4Seasons and added rack and guards for commuting duties.
    The colour isn't the best as it shows the dirt far too easily, other than that I've got no complaints with the bike.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • thegibdog
    Cheers, how is it weight-wise? I'm guessing the wheels are weighty and would probably get a lighter second set at some point but wouldn't want to feel they'd be wasted on a heavy frameset.
  • redvee
    It's a couple of lb heavier than the SS but not much heavier but by time I stick the pannier etc it's negligible. The wheels aren't too bad though they need a tweek now after 500 miles but were overlooked it seems when I had the bike serviced, I only noticed a few less tight spokes on Friday when I had a visit on the way home. I do have a pair of XT hubbed 29er wheels that I bought for £85 to use if needed.
  • thegibdog
    Just seen that Halfords are doing 10% off at the moment so may take a look at the Boardman CX Team as it'd be £730 with my British Cycling discount added on.
  • redvee
    Considered the Boardman CX Team for 10 minutes before I realised there weren't no mudguard mounts on the forks, a criteria I needed for my C2W bike.
  • thegibdog
    Thanks for your thoughts, got a 2nd hand Boardman Team CX in the end, which had an unexpected bonus of having Hope V Twin hydraulic brakes fitted. :) Incidentally the older version does have mudguard mounts on the forks, although I have no plans to use them. Have taken it for a couple of spins around the local trails and it is great fun!