Pedal came off spindle

birdie23
birdie23 Posts: 457
edited October 2014 in Workshop
So... I was riding home from work today when suddenly my right foot felt loose. Tried to clip in and out, couldn't but my foot was moving. Looked down and the pedal was moving on its spindle before coming off.

These are a set of 105 pedals and I can't seem to screw them back on. Worth the effort or just chuck them and get a new set?

The other issue is I'm struggling to get the pedals off the crank arms. Any tips?

EDIT: The spindle has sheared off, new pedals it is.
2012 Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    birdie23 wrote:
    The other issue is I'm struggling to get the pedals off the crank arms. Any tips?
    A longer spanner?
  • Have you checked the thread on the spindle.....could be damaged.....or you could be screwing it in the wrong direction. Righty tighty doesn't work here.
  • birdie23
    edited October 2014
    IShotYou wrote:
    Have you checked the thread on the spindle.....could be damaged.....or you could be screwing it in the wrong direction. Righty tighty doesn't work here.

The thread on the spindle looked okay, not sure what the thread is like though. EDIT: Spindle is sheared.

I screwed it the only way it got tighter but it wouldn't fully tighten up. Turn it the other way and it just comes back off.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • birdie23
    wongataa wrote:
    birdie23 wrote:
    A longer spanner?

I have a Park pedal wrench. It just seems as soon as I'm near to getting the right purchase the cranks move.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Position the spanner so your hand is back towards the bottom bracket, not so your hand is further away from the bottom bracket than your pedal. Then get someone to hold the other crank.