Another visitation

2»

Comments

• fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp extreme weather also Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • I listen to your pathetic recommendations and laugh at them all.

I've f**ked all of them including snickers plus and all within 1000 miles...just 'cos I said the PF's rear end looked big in lycra shorts once....
  • TGOTB wrote:
    There are 3 tyres that you can pretty much relax about:

M+
    Durano Plus
    Vittoria Randonneur Pro 2
    Unless it's wet. I'd feel anything but relaxed if I had to ride a bike with Marathon Plus tyres in the rain...

Probably done 6/7k miles on my current set of M+ tyres - no visits, and certainly no issues in the rain. Maybe it's your riding style and not the tyre that would make you nervous..!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    fat_tail wrote:
    Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp extreme weather also Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp

^ this ^
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Rhodrich wrote:
    You mean it doesn't have anything to do with upsetting the Puncture Fairy?

I was going to say something similar, but felt it would be tempting fate. The tyres I use are nothing special (Giant P-SL2 folding in 28mm flavour, chosen for being super cheap at £7, rather than for their puncture protection), but in 4750 miles of riding this year, they've only let me down once. I do however religiously check them for shards regularly (whilst sacrificing goats, and praying for the health of the PF)

I know that having said this though, I'll now have a puncture within 7 days.....

And my statement above has proven to be correct! Huge gash in my tyre this morning, followed by a pffff sound :(

Not quite sure what caused it - looks like some stray piece of metal or something. Gash about an inch long.

I'm going to have to keep saying my Hail Fairys until I placate the PF!
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • TGOTB wrote:
    There are 3 tyres that you can pretty much relax about:

M+
    Durano Plus
    Vittoria Randonneur Pro 2
    Unless it's wet. I'd feel anything but relaxed if I had to ride a bike with Marathon Plus tyres in the rain...

Probably done 6/7k miles on my current set of M+ tyres - no visits, and certainly no issues in the rain. Maybe it's your riding style and not the tyre that would make you nervous..!

I never had a problem with them in either 38mm or 25mm, I did run them quite low pressures though, 60PSI for the 25mm, certainly had reasonable grip, no worse or better than racing tyres in the wet, though I agree with the rather wooden feel to them.

Mind you neither compare well regarding grip to the old MTB I now use as a commute/town bike which has much wider 2.1/55mm tyres with much much softer compounds etc, you do notice that you have far more grip, wet and greasy town centers, metal work, white lines and so on, simply become non events.

and one can irritate mopeds and the like by easily out cornering them, if one is feeling mean.