Another visitation

daddy0
daddy0 Posts: 686
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
After last weeks p*******-fest I decided to invest in some GP 4 Seasons (seeing as a lot of you guys rave about them). After covering only 50 miles and the fairy visits me with a shard of broken glass. Easily fixed at the side of the road, I get to work and then home again. Just about to go to bed, literally walking past the bike in the hallway, and the thing starts aggressively hissing at me. Patch came unglued. FML.

So - are GP 4 Seasons actually any good after all, really? What are your recommendations for p******* resistant tyres?

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    edited October 2014
    Problem is the bike, you should buy another. I'll take the Felt if you need.

I've had 4000S and Rubino Pro recently. Both so far have been good.
    The pending Inflite comes with GP 4 Seasons so will see how they turn out. Expecting much the same, they're all fine and it's just luck once you've bought a decent tyre.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I had Rubino Pro's on my commuter which were very good, I then built up a "best bike" and after reading good things about them, thought I'd splash out on GP 4 seasons. They have a really premium feel and couldn't fault them performance wise but they only lasted about six months before cutting up badly and had to replace. Back to Vittoria Rubino Pro and they haven't let me down. Got a pair of Ultremo ZX's to try out that came free with some Fulcrums but don't think they will see any action any time soon.
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Schwalbe Durano Pluses. As Asprilla said a number of years ago, they are part-nuclear bunker.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I've been using Rubino Pro's for years. I've tried other tyres but I'm usually disappointed. With the racier tyres, you do need to pump them up pretty hard.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Having only had 2 flats in 5000miles, neither of which required a roadside stop, I'm quite happy sticking with my thicker treaded 26" slicks!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    I doubt any tyre will give good performance and protect you from a shard of glass.
    I would put it down to bad luck and continue. If the visits persist then try other tyres.

I prefer to carry a spare tube than trying a roadside repair although I do carry patches for use if the day gets multiple visits.
    The patch giving way simply shows it wasn't put on correctly and was giving you a chance to fix it in the comfort of your home.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Schwalbe Durano Pluses. As Asprilla said a number of years ago, they are part-nuclear bunker.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Don't use glue patches at home save them for roadside emergencies, ie you've used all your spare tubes. Then at home use the good old fashioned rubber patches and leave them to bond.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    cjcp wrote:
    amazing tyres if you can put up with the slow ride and the heavy tyres. but as close to p-proof as you'll find in a road tyre
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    No tyre can protect you against the inability to repair a puncture properly.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Panaracer tyre liners - I use them on everything that isn't marathon plus.

Used them for the last year (also after my 4 seasons started puncturing despite only having 1000 miles on them) and combined with regular checking of the tyres - every time I pump them up so once or twice a week, they've been great. I've just had my first roadside puncture in a year - previously I punctured a lot, on average once a month/6 weeks.

And the only reason this tyre punctured was because they are well past their use by date...full of cuts etc. Gonna buy some more this week.

Might try schwalbe ones - less protection but with the liners so should be ok...possibly. If not I wont do that again.

ps the tyre liners add 25g to the tyre, personally I dont notice any difference...racers might??

EDIT: Just to emphasise though, you do need to check your tyres in combination with the liners to get the best result!!
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    All right all right - I do know how to fix a p******* thanks! In fact I am so good at it that I can patch a tube quicker than replace it. I guess the glue on the patch gave way after my central heating warmed it up too much, but it got me to work and back no problems.

Sorry - hit submit before I finished.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am a fan of Rubino Pros too - when I last ordered some they were out of stock so was sent Michelin Pro 4s instead which I have found to be utter pants.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I may have been unlucky. I used the Vittoria Zaffiros (cheap tyres) that originally came with my bike and rarely got punctures. After all the raving about GP4000s, I tried them and had no end of trouble, including sidewall splits as well as quite a few punctures.

Gone back to using the cheapo zaffiros and much better puncture resistance wise.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    cjcp wrote:
    Just ordered some of these as my Dolan's rear Michelin 4 Endurance has got squared-off and very thinly-covered, and has punctured a few times recently.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • The start point is that luck does not exist so if you keep getting punctures then it must be because of your tyres (unlikely now you have 4 seasons), your style of riding (ie hitting potholes) or cycling where there is more likely to be broken glass.

Best tip I had was to run your hand around the tyre before each trip to see if you have any intrusions as most punctures occur through objects slowly working their way through
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    The start point is that luck does not exist so if you keep getting punctures then it must be because of your tyres (unlikely now you have 4 seasons), your style of riding (ie hitting potholes) or cycling where there is more likely to be broken glass.

Best tip I had was to run your hand around the tyre before each trip to see if you have any intrusions as most punctures occur through objects slowly working their way through

You mean it doesn't have anything to do with upsetting the Puncture Fairy?

I was going to say something similar, but felt it would be tempting fate. The tyres I use are nothing special (Giant P-SL2 folding in 28mm flavour, chosen for being super cheap at £7, rather than for their puncture protection), but in 4750 miles of riding this year, they've only let me down once. I do however religiously check them for shards regularly (whilst sacrificing goats, and praying for the health of the PF)

I know that having said this though, I'll now have a puncture within 7 days.....
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    I am on my 5th 4 Seasons after wearing 3 out.

3rd at the back, 2nd at the front. One visit.

I would put it down to route or luck.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Rhodrich wrote:

I...

Not upsetting the Puncture Fairy is not luck :D
  • There are 3 tyres that you can pretty much relax about:

M+
    Durano Plus
    Vittoria Randonneur Pro 2
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    There are 3 tyres that you can pretty much relax about:

M+
    Durano Plus
    Unless it's wet. I'd feel anything but relaxed if I had to ride a bike with Marathon Plus tyres in the rain...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Quick question for those with Marathon Pluses - Are they still really hard to fit?

I've never owned them but have been looking into them and reviews and youtube videos from a couple of years ago show them to be a right ballache. I commute rurally and don't fancy being stuck in the pitch black on a country lane dicking about with tyres for 1/2 hour if I puncture.
    Or does anyone use Marathon GreenGuard and know if they're basically the same but easier to fit?

I run GP 4 seasons now. I've done less than 1000 miles, wear is fine, but they're sliced up all over the place with little nicks & keep puncturing due to bits of glass getting in.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Quick question for those with Marathon Pluses - Are they still really hard to fit?

I've never owned them but have been looking into them and reviews and youtube videos from a couple of years ago show them to be a right ballache. I commute rurally and don't fancy being stuck in the pitch black on a country lane dicking about with tyres for 1/2 hour if I puncture.
    Or does anyone use Marathon GreenGuard and know if they're basically the same but easier to fit?

I run GP 4 seasons now. I've done less than 1000 miles, wear is fine, but they're sliced up all over the place with little nicks & keep puncturing due to bits of glass getting in.
    I don't have them, but pretty sure they're a bitch to fit.
    I'd go for Durano Plus on a road bike commuter. They're pretty awesome
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Rhodrich wrote:

I...

Not upsetting the Puncture Fairy is not luck :D

Stop saying the 'P' word! :shock:
    Hot potato, orchestra falls, pluck will make amends!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    "I don't have them, but pretty sure they're a ***** to fit.
    I'd go for Durano Plus on a road bike commuter. They're pretty awesome"

+1 to that - I run Durano plus on the road commuter and the MTB when commuting on that. Been using them for about a year now and you can't really fault them

*leaves office and gets a visitation within 30 seconds*
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570

I cannot agree with that after this morning. I ran over a piece of metal in the road when coming through Herne hill this morning. Instant deflation of the front tyre. I traveled some distance with traffic behind me before i came to a stop. The front tyre was pretty ripped apart over a 2 inch area. Ok, a freak event i suppose but just saying :)
  • bobinski wrote:

I cannot agree with that after this morning. I ran over a piece of metal in the road when coming through Herne hill this morning. Instant deflation of the front tyre. I traveled some distance with traffic behind me before i came to a stop. The front tyre was pretty ripped apart over a 2 inch area. Ok, a freak event i suppose but just saying :)

Umm, you ran over a piece of metal which ripped the tyre apart and you think it might be because the tyre isn't tough? :lol:
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    :lol:

Actually, made a great noise.
  • I did that once with a pair of Ultremos. Doing about 45. Double gash. It was interesting.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Quick question for those with Marathon Pluses - Are they still really hard to fit?

you said it... "if I puncture". I have only had one puncture with them in 7000km (still going strong) and that was because I run them at really low tyre pressures so they are absolutely fine in the rain, it is the gravel they can't deal with.

That said I am going with Durano Plus next time as I won't be taking the road bike down the bridleway any longer due to owning a CX bike now.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • I've done over 5,000 miles on GP 4 Seasons, although now onto my second tyre at the back the front has done all those miles and still going strong. I've had 3 punctures in that time and all 3 have been due to hitting pot holes as opposed to the tyre being penetrated.

I wouldn't consider putting anything else on my bike now.