clothing q: what glue to stick padding in shorts back?

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited October 2014 in Workshop
The dark grey second bit of padding of my Altura Progel shorts has come unstuck in the middle.

IMG_7373-620x413.jpg

(I've just put that image there so you can see the dark grey bit of padding I'm talking about.)

What glue would be good to use to stick it back does anyone recommend?

Thanks.

Comments

• Needle and thread.
    I would guess that you cannot easily replicate the manufactures bonding. It has to be waterproof, sweatproof and that's not the same, totally no protruding and not sock through. Stitch it.
  • OK, thanks. Someone else also advised stitching so that looks like the best way. Thanks.
  • Just for the record, all the padding is now coming off, including the larger blue part. One of the rubber translucent pads inside is out. It seems the glue has suddenly decided to give up all over. I only bought the shorts two months ago. I've been washing them by hand - maybe about 10 times. Using Sainsbury's non-bio liquid. The liquid isn't particularly for hand washing. Maybe that's what's helped caused the problem but I don't see why. I'd expect the shorts to last longer than that. I bought them on eBay, brand new, so I can't really take them back. :(
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Send Altura a polite email explaining the situation and if they provide a repairs service.

Most companies are very good dealing with things like this and may repair free of charge or send you a replacement.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I had someone replace a pad a few years ago. Alex Zebedee from memory. She used a brand new one and did a nice job. Keen TTer and dressmaker I think. I haven't seen any sign of her in a few years but is worth looking into.

A regular clothes repair place doesn't get the position and technique right in my experience.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    Elfed wrote:
    Send Altura a polite email explaining the situation and if they provide a repairs service.

Most companies are very good dealing with things like this and may repair free of charge or send you a replacement.

I had already done that before you suggested it. Got a reply today. They said they're going to send me a replacement. So, assuming that happens OK, that's excellent. :)