Strange lights in front of eyes

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
edited September 2014 in Training, fitness and health
I had a strange effect yesterday when out cycling. I did quite a tough climb - tougher than I'd normally do, Strava says av. 6% for 3.6 miles http://www.strava.com/segments/2663927?filter=overall, so I was grinding my way to the top and started noticing strange coloured shapes around the edge of my vision, which seemed to grow in intensity as I got nearer the top, I could still just about see them when I closed my eyes. When I got to the top and started my descent they went away.

I did some more climbing later in the ride, although not for the same duration, and the effect didn't reappear.

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    You were dying. Just as well you got to the top when you did.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    http://www.richmondeye.com/eyehealth_floater/

Could be a zillion reasons and i aint qualified to give a diagnosis but the major variable is blood pressure. Might be worth while getting it checked...
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    edited September 2014
    I get zombie eye (all red) after a really hard spin session. I'd check to see if you have burst a blood vessel in your eyes. Shapes can also be a sign of approaching passing out. I sometimes get this on fasting days if I train too hard for too long. But as others imply it doesn't mean its ok. Worth getting it checked.
  • It was kind of multi coloured, around the edges. I was putting in some effort and it was hard work but no different to other hill climbs I've done, except perhaps this was a little big longer, I didn't feel like I was about to fall off my bike or any different to how I normally feel when I'm working hard.
  • Blood pressure for sure. I am an Optician. Go visit an Optician and they can make sure that there are no bleeds at the back of the eye and then go get your blood pressure checked at the DR.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    I had a strange effect yesterday when out cycling. I did quite a tough climb - tougher than I'd normally do, Strava says av. 6% for 3.6 miles http://www.strava.com/segments/2663927?filter=overall, so I was grinding my way to the top and started noticing strange coloured shapes around the edge of my vision, which seemed to grow in intensity as I got nearer the top, I could still just about see them when I closed my eyes. When I got to the top and started my descent they went away.

I did some more climbing later in the ride, although not for the same duration, and the effect didn't reappear.

I know if I'm hurting towards the end of a TT if I get tunnel vision. Could be your version of knowing you're in the hurt locker
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Don't get that, but I get tingly arms when I am really pushing it on a short sharp climb. Always just assumed it was the body prioritising blood flow, with the arms being less urgent..
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    That has happened to me but it turned out to be too many drugs in the 60's and 70's. :oops: :wink:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Ah yes! I did plenty of the rock and roll but sex and drugs somehow passed me by. I think on balance i was quite fortunate...
  • Sounds like you 'bonked', 'hit the wall'.

This has only happened to me once when climbing up a hill after a night out...I was hung over and dehydrated. Not a nice experience.