Wireless camera for monitoring elderly relative

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited September 2014 in The cake stop
On the off chance... has anyone a good recommendation for a wireless security camera to monitor an elderly relative (with their permission). I've bought and returned three different ones so far and they are all utter rubbish, resetting and losing settings and operated by buggy, dodgy (first turn off your firewall and anti-virus program :roll: ) software. I've already paid up to £100 without success and I'm willing to pay more if I can get something half decent.

Thanks.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• I'm no nerd but one guy I know wired up a webcam to a home pc and transmitted it live and he could access it anywhere.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • What about a baby monitor? Don't some of those send visuals now. Sure I heard that one has an app to so you can quickly check whilst on the move. Could be worth checking those websites.

On a simular topic, I can recommend Age Concern's personal intercom alarm. We set one up recently for an elderly relative.
    tick - tick - tick
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,701
    Done exactly this, for remote checking of elderly parent's house in N Scotland.

Used a UCam 247, bought via Amazon for c 120. Wireless connect to router in house, so dont need to have a PC running. View it off iPad via free app P2PCam264, is for iphone but works fine on ipad.

The camera can record events and such like, but we simply use it as a live camera view.

Bit of a fiddle to get the settings correct for the app to the camera, but once working is fine. We have had it up and running for about 3 years with no issues.

HTH
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    You realise that you three are all going to get done for aiding a criminal when it emerges that Peddle Up! is really planning on installing these things in the local girls boarding school :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    Not an "out of the box" solution, but... raspberry pi, webcam (there is at least one pi-compatible model out there) and a wireless adapter?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Had an email from BT Shop recently selling their wares, including something similar to what you describe - basically an externally controllable webcam. They sell it as a security device so you can see who is in your home. Think it alerts you when activated so you can log in and view. Have a look at their webbie.
  • Do you need a camera? we installed this for my elderly aunt with dementia http://www.justchecking.co.uk/it also comes with a speaker by the door so if she opens it in the middle of the night they can tell her to go back in.