My first ride.

stoveman
stoveman Posts: 125
edited October 2014 in Road beginners
just got back from my first ride and absolutely buzzing.Went out on my own as I wanted to go at my pace and not hold anyone up.
Cycled many years ago and have lost all fitness over the years.Took an old bianchi for a 3 mile spin 8 weeks ago and thought i was going to die as it showed how unfit I was.
So I joined a gym,workout on cardio and weights 4 times a week and have gone from 18st 2lb to 16 st 4lb in those 8 weeks.
Treated myself to a nice kask helmet (safety first!) earlier this week and picked up some basic cycle clothing from Aldi.
Been lurking on here for a while and tried to pick up tips along the way,so today I tried to keep a high cadence,based on what I do in the gym seemed to be around 85 - 90 and also tried to sit out the hills to help with endurance and also paid particular attention to other road users.
Saw quite a few club riders out and everyone acknowledged me and was very freindly with a nod of the head or 'morning' as they went past,which felt good for someone on a bike that looks like a carboot special and in Aldi clothing :D .
Time now to save for some pedals and shoes as currently got old school platform pedals and trainers!
Done a fairly circular route of 17 miles,some reasonable hills and a fair bit of head wind on the way out and managed the 17 miles in almost exactly an hour so like I said,absolutely chuffed and cant wait to get out again in the next few days.

Comments

• Good effort especially with the 'Hellos' from others, you must be in a friendly part of the country...
  • Well done and keep going and hope you still get as much fun on your next ride
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • You will feel the difference with proper shoes and pedals mate that's for sure. You will feel much more connected to the bike and loads more comfortable.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • Nice one mate.

17mph average on an undulating route, on flat pedals. You should think about entering some time trials. You wouldn't disgrace yourself.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Excellent
  • Well done, the ride I consider as my 'first' was 13 miles on a hybrid, I was well proud and sweating buckets when I got home, I was nowhere near a 17mph average. If you enjoy the gym work (I don't), keep it up, it will definitely make a difference, especially over the winter months when opportunities and motivation for getting out on the bike are less.
  • You should look for a few like minded riding buddies who will go at a similar pace; I too thought I'd hold everyone up and slogged on alone for the first few months. Then I found a group and realised there were veteran cyclists who were actually a little slower than me, but also they didn't have their heads up their own arses when a Noob on a second hand relic came out for a gentle 20km.

It really boosted my enjoyment of a sport that was sad, lonely and a chore to do initially (though had obvious health benefits). Besides, nothing better than going on a weekend 25km ride with new friends and enjoying a social pint afterwards. It's even sadder drinking alone! :shock:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    You'll notice a big difference with the right shoes and pedals. I'd advise SPDs, the racing SPD-SL pedals are harder to clip into even for experienced cyclists. Also SPD-SL shoes tend to be very cold in winter and often aren't water proof.

My nephew went from being a totally unfit 15.5 stone smoker to under 11 stone in two years, he's a different man. Says cycling changed his life completely. Keep at it :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    +1 for getting some pedals.

I got some Keo Look Classic pedals (you can pick them up now for £30). I have no problems clipping in and out. It's quite easy... Toe in first then press down to clip in, like a ski binding. Then rotate your ankle sideways to unclip. There isn't much resistance to unclip when you want to, but your feet feel well planted on the pedals the rest of the time.

Just remember to unclip before you stop !!! Once the bike starts going over with your feet still clipped in, theres no stopping it. After 5 minutes you naturally unclip when approaching a roundabout or junction. When setting off in rush, it's possible to put your foot on an upside-down pedal until you've got the bike moving enough to faff with clipping back in. If you're going to faff, just do it when the bikes moving.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    stoveman wrote:
    just got back from my (first) ride and absolutely buzzing.

What it's all about really.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Thanks for all the encouragement folks.Been out for some shorter rides lately as really pushed for time,so now going to commute to work work as much as possible,(only 4 miles each way) but any miles are good I reckon.
    Then I plan to schedule a 40 mile ride in a couple of weeks on my day off.
    Just bought a winter jacket and some on bib longs from Aldi to boost my wardrobe and will be ordering shoes and pedals shortly!
    Wife has even said should have just over a grand saved for a new bike in 12 months time.
    So next christmas should be good!!

Phil.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    stoveman wrote:
    Thanks for all the encouragement folks.Been out for some shorter rides lately as really pushed for time,so now going to commute to work work as much as possible,(only 4 miles each way) but any miles are good I reckon.
    Phil.
    You're right that any mileage, even short commutes will help. 8 miles a day is 40 miles a week and if you do it at a nice brisk pace the health and fitness benefits will be huge.

Ruth
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Well done, 17mph average on your first ride on an older (and probably heavy) bike with flat pedals is quite an achievement. You could probably push that up to 19/20mph without any increased effort on a newer lighter road bike with proper pedals and shoes which is what most seasoned cyclists would be averaging on a training spin/sportive.