Bad weather cycling tips

ashteya
ashteya Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in The workshop
Hello all!

Newbie here, my first post so a bit of my cycling background if of interest:

I haven't cycled since I was a child, but having secured a lovely permanent full time job 3 miles away in the centre of town I got a hybrid bike through work's cyclescheme, fully intending to commute on it all year round.

I've done a fair bit of running in the past and actually tended to enjoy it more in the rain and dark. Rather naively I thought this would transpose into cycling.

BUT today I had my first proper downpour awful weather ride home and to be honest I'm a bit scared. Although I have a peaked helmet, I couldn't see anything and can only imagine what my face must have looked like, probably a soggy dried apricot with the amount of grimacing I did. My feet were slipping all over the pedals. The water masked all cracks and potholes, I was freezing and absolutely saturated and all that was going through my mind is that this is summer - July.

Anyway, the point of this post is to ask for some basic advise. As a poor person, what gear should I first invest in to make bad weather cycling less dangerous and more comfortable? Some sort of a face shield or umbrella helmet perhaps?

Any help would be gratefully received!

Comments

• anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    for your eyes get some wrap around sunglasses. Wiggle do a pair that comes with 3 lenses, a sun glasses type lens, and orange lens for seeing in the dull and a clear lens for darkness. That will keep the vast majority of rain off your eyes, the rest of your face doesn't really matter! Think they are about £30.

For pedals get some SPD style pedals and shoes, you click your feet into them so when you push on one leg you can pull on the other. M520 pedals can be had for about £15, and shoes for about £50.

Regarding the pot holes, you'll quickly get used to where they are on your regular commute so will know where they are even in the dark rainy nights.

If you commute by bike you'll end up getting wet at some point it cant be avoided. But you'll build up gear that'll protect you. I'd highly recommend a pair of waterproof overshoes, there is nothing worse than cold wet feet. 3 Miles isn't far, so is the rest of you being wet for 15-20mins that big an issue, just shower and change when you get home and keep a spare set of fresh clothes at work incase your caught out.
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    anthdci wrote:
    for your eyes get some wrap around sunglasses. Wiggle do a pair that comes with 3 lenses, a sun glasses type lens, and orange lens for seeing in the dull and a clear lens for darkness. That will keep the vast majority of rain off your eyes, the rest of your face doesn't really matter! Think they are about £30.

For pedals get some SPD style pedals and shoes, you click your feet into them so when you push on one leg you can pull on the other. M520 pedals can be had for about £15, and shoes for about £50.

Regarding the pot holes, you'll quickly get used to where they are on your regular commute so will know where they are even in the dark rainy nights.

If you commute by bike you'll end up getting wet at some point it cant be avoided. But you'll build up gear that'll protect you. I'd highly recommend a pair of waterproof overshoes, there is nothing worse than cold wet feet. 3 Miles isn't far, so is the rest of you being wet for 15-20mins that big an issue, just shower and change when you get home and keep a spare set of fresh clothes at work incase your caught out.

For a three mile journey, I would argue that SPD style pedals are not necessary if the main purpose is to prevent the feet from slipping. I am not saying there is any comparison between SPD and strap style toe clips, but over 3 miles, I would argue that a pair of properly waterproof shoes and some strap style toe clips would both prevent slippage and keep feet dry. SPD shoes would certainly result in wet feet.

Properly waterproof shoes (I'm thinking Hiking Boots) would also remove the need for overshoes.
  • anthdci
    Phil_D wrote:
    For a three mile journey, I would argue that SPD style pedals are not necessary if the main purpose is to prevent the feet from slipping. I am not saying there is any comparison between SPD and strap style toe clips, but over 3 miles, I would argue that a pair of properly waterproof shoes and some strap style toe clips would both prevent slippage and keep feet dry. SPD shoes would certainly result in wet feet.

Properly waterproof shoes (I'm thinking Hiking Boots) would also remove the need for overshoes.

yea probably. I just have a personal dislike of straps, I don't feel like I can get in or out of them quickly enough. Personal preference really.
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    Do you have full mudguards? They don't stop the rain from above, but they stop the dirty spray from the road.
    anthdci wrote:
    ...Regarding the pot holes, you'll quickly get used to where they are on your regular commute so will know where they are even in the dark rainy nights...
    While this is true, new pot-holes can form very quickly, so don't ride through puddles in case they conceal one; hitting a deep pot-hole unexpectedly can literally kill you.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Mr Evil wrote:
    new pot-holes can form very quickly, so don't ride through puddles in case they conceal one;

Very good advice this
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lidl just did cycling gear, their Crivit glasses are great value and come with a yellow lens that is great in eveything from dark to not quite bright sunlight - £7.99 or http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLARHCG/ar ... ng-glasses

Wear a windproof when raining, it won't keep you dry but will stop the raining hitting you in pellets and making you cold.

As for pedals, a decent pair of flat pedals with steel pins (MTB style) are just the ticket, depending on budget, but Wellgo MG1 or Superstar Nano are both well respected mid range offerings, or get some cheaper Wellgo ones such as http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wellgo-B087-M ... 5d4d17825c don't be temped by plastic or alloy pedals with moulded pins as they don't grip your sole well enough.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Pedal/shoe slippage depends on the relative grippiness.
    Plastic sock pedals are slippy unless they are studded BMX style.
    I use Silver Shadow trainers with MKS Sylvian pedals for urban runabouts.
    Full length mudgaurds are essential.
    In winter, use waterproof pants and socks (sealskinz) in the rain. W/p boots may be useful.
    Dont wear waterproofs in the dry, you always sweat too much. Windproofs are more comfy.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Phil_D wrote:
    [

But overshoes (which you can wear over trainers or anything) are much cheaper

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb/overshoes-1/

In the winter some "roubaix" tights are better than waterproofs I would say - keeps you warm even if wet, and will dry off during the day.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Fit SwissStop greens

Lube your chain regularly

Ride smoothly

Avoid white paint and metal covers

Decrease tyre pressure slightly

Windproof jacket (or gilet in summer)

Accept you'll get wet

Smile
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I'm about the only person know of who uses lightweight windproof trousers (Montane featherlight pertex). They pack up to the size of an orange, and dry very quickly and shed wind whilst being reasonably breathable.

I find the holes at the top of my legs mean that I am resigned to getting wet feet. It is usually too hot for overtrousers.
  • I find the holes at the top of my legs mean that I am resigned to getting wet feet

:?:
  • Sealskin do cycling overshoes too I noticed. Any good?

You'll get wet but cycle faster. I always get my best commute times in rain. Guess I'm so desperate to get out of it I'm flogging myself to get home quicker.

Wet and warm is only slightly worse than dry and warm IMHO. If you're a walker you probably have clothes that can be used for cycling.

Lights. Like with driving where you should have lights on in rain they are a good idea.
  • Sealskin do cycling overshoes too I noticed. Any good?

I got some Sealskin gloves once. First downpour and it was like wearing wool gloves. Their overshoes may be better of course.

A few years back I got some Northwave winter boots instead of overshoes. Fit well, totally water-proof and keep my toes nice and warm. Pretty much wear only these over the winter.
  • anthdci
    Sealskin do cycling overshoes too I noticed. Any good?

I got some Sealskin gloves once. First downpour and it was like wearing wool gloves. Their overshoes may be better of course.

yea same I spent £30 on a "waterproof" pair and they were like wearing a sponge!
  • I got a pair of the walking sealskin gloves and they are ok, waterproof so far. I've been wearing sealskin socks for several years now with fell shoes in the hills. Spent many a winter in the snowy hills of the Lakes getting disapproving looks wearing sealskin socks and simple Innov8 fell shoes from slow moving, crampon wearing fossils with 50 litre sacks on their backs carrying everything but the kitchen sink. Since I've had good use out of sealskins i just wondered. Looks like I need another idea, might be tempted by just using their socks in normal shoes for this winter.
  • mudguards and overshoes will make it more pleasant for autumn/winter
  • jimmypippa
    I find the holes at the top of my legs mean that I am resigned to getting wet feet

:?:

Doh, that wrong word rather ruined the meaning... What I meant to say was that the holes at the top of my shoes where my legs go... water drips down my legs into my shoes.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    TBH I don't go with the glasses and trousers thing. It's rare it rains so heavily that you can't keep your eyes on the road (it does happen..) my experience with glasses is that drops of water immediately form on them obscuring the view anyway. I have eyelids to overcome that one. (Glasses on windy days for me - stop dust being blown into your eyes).

And trousers... well the rain's not cold, wear some shorts and towel yourself down when you get to work. I find that preferable to sweaty legs trying to turn cranks whilst encased in polythene or whatever.

As this thread demonstrates everyone's got their own opinions (and their own commutes and bikes). The first year of cycle commuting is when you have to buy all the clothes suitable for the season.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yellow glasses on overcast days, whether raining or not - psychologically makes you feel a couple of degrees warmer as it looks sunny!

Always wear glasses anyway, otherwise wind (and insects) in the eyes. If this isnt an issue then you are not riding fast enough!

I did half the Hadrians way in the rain a couple of years back without glasses on, but was struggling because I had to keep squinting to see. Put my yellow glasses on, felt warmer and more optimistic and could see so much better, so much easier.
  • anthdci
    apreading wrote:
    Yellow glasses on overcast days, whether raining or not - psychologically makes you feel a couple of degrees warmer as it looks sunny!

Always wear glasses anyway, otherwise wind (and insects) in the eyes. If this isnt an issue then you are not riding fast enough!

I did half the Hadrians way in the rain a couple of years back without glasses on, but was struggling because I had to keep squinting to see. Put my yellow glasses on, felt warmer and more optimistic and could see so much better, so much easier.

I agree with this when it comes to glasses, I got some DHB ones from wiggle with 3 different lenses. Dark for summer, orange for dull and overcast, then clear for dark nights/morning. I wear them regardless of the weather and only really take them off when going slowly in the town centre between traffic lights. I find anything over 12mph or so then I struggle not to squint.
  • jimmypippa
    It depends how shortsighted you are. I have glasses for that reason and a cap with a brim really helps.