Vuelta 2014 Stage 3 *Spoilers*

2»

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Dan Martin did all the chasing in the last few hundred and Matthews came round with 25m a la Gerrans.
    TBF - isn't the suspicion that Gerrans could be more exciting and light up races more than he does? Whilst I think Mathews is (at the moment) just a finisher...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Matthews reckons there are 10 stages that suit his capabilities.

Valverde crashed when Malori came down and hurt his back a bit. The crash put him well down on the leaders hence why he wasnt in the first group. He is not worried about the jersey but wanted the stage win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Yeah, he certainly doesn't lack for confidence does he? I thought it was an exciting end to the race today - good mixture of racers in that front group.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,016
    What happened to Sagan?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    What happened to Sagan?

Came in 3:37 down with Martin and Cancellara (plus Ciolek and Ferrari)
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    inseine wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    What happened to Sagan?

Came in 3:37 down with Martin and Cancellara (plus Ciolek and Ferrari)

I haven't heard an explanation for Sagan yet. If he doesn't want to ride for the flat stages or the points jersey then fair enough, but yesterday was a perfect test for WC candidates. The write-up on the Cannondale website said the finish was perfect for him.

Either he's just taking it easy until the 2nd and 3rd weeks or there's some other explanation. Maybe there's some internal tension now that he's moving on?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Cancellara was apparently whining again yesterday. This time it was the heat. Wants UCI to stop the races when it gets too hot.

The pundits over here (fomer riders) are laughing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,895
    I'm losing track of the conditions when pros shouldn't be riding I think it is:-

1. Snow and ice.
    2. Rain
    3. Heat.
    4. Cobbles (when not part of a cobbled classic).
    5. Italian road surfaces in any weather.

I think they should chuck in climbs and descents - both have history of fatalities.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    ThomThom wrote:
    Cancellara was apparently whining again yesterday. This time it was the heat. Wants UCI to stop the races when it gets too hot.

The pundits over here (fomer riders) are laughing.

I'm a massive fan of him as a cyclist but he really does annoy me sometimes with his constant whining.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Pross wrote:
    I'm losing track of the conditions when pros shouldn't be riding I think it is:-

1. Snow and ice.
    2. Rain
    3. Heat.
    4. Cobbles (when not part of a cobbled classic).
    5. Italian road surfaces in any weather.

I think they should chuck in climbs and descents - both have history of fatalities.
    How could you forget roundabouts!