edited August 2014 in Pro race
profile-03.jpg
Alto Alcornocales (9 km / avg. 2.9 %)
Alto del Camino (13.3 km / avg. 3.6 %)
Puerto del Boyar (6.6 km / avg. 5.6 %)

finish-03.jpg

@mwkeenan
Follow
Stage 3 of #LaVuelta at 1.3 km to go. Has Matthews, Degenkolb and Sagan written all over it. via @am attipyoraily
Bv3cd28IcAA47lT.jpg

Lots of riders in with a shout on this one. Would like Gilbert to be up there.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    At some point a Gilbert win was a given with a Vuelta finish like this. Considering he was royally outsprinted uphill by his teammate GVA, not surprising he's not among the favourites. He should at least give it a go though
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Worth paying attention to this one if you have a good interest in the worlds.

Let's face it, this is a bone the vuelta organises have given the 'preppers'.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    No one seems to be willing to take the risk on Sagan today but I have a feeling this is his stage.

I've had an e/w on Hofland at 40-1.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    From Cnews:

The last three kilometres of the stage into Arcos de la Frontera are very technical, and conclude with a 1.5 kilometre ascent to the finish. Nothing too steep - just six percent average gradient - but on narrow, winding streets in the southern Andalusian town positioning for the favourites will be crucial in order not to ensure they do not lose time.

The biggest worry for most of the favourites, though, will be avoiding crashes. Up until three kilometres to go, the stage’s main challenge is perhaps the heat and the four third category climbs in the Sierra de Grazalema on some poorly surfaced roads. But then the finish is almost within sight when, 2.6 kilometres from the line, the ‘fun’ starts with a fast descent to a narrow bridge and sharp right hand-turn across the River Guadalete.

Two more sharp corners leftwards and a fast downhill back across the river just a few hundred metres further on could see more crashes, and then once past the two kiloemtres to go sign the climbing starts just after the route, broadening out slightly, crosses the river for a third and final time.

The ascent to the finish from heron is then steady, but the road shrinks to a fairly narrow street again and by this point the stage contenders and gc leaders will be fighting to get past sprinters who have found they have run out of gas and who are falling back.

The finish comes after a sharpish lefthand turn around 100 metres to, by which time the peloton will have climbed around some 70 metres in altitude in 1,500 metres.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Oh nuts!

Didn't notice the uphill finish when I went for Bouhanni on PTP.
  • frenchfighter
    Odd start:
    http://www.steephill.tv/2014/vuelta-a-e ... /stage-03/

Live now 68km 4mins gap to break. Going to be later than scheduled.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Not sure about the Lycra / Navy attire combo for Contador
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Mas looks shagged now. Fair play though.
  • frenchfighter
    28km 1min advantage for the lone Caja rider. Very hot out there which is slowing the pace.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • milton50
    Crash. Malori goes to take a feed bag and takes down about 20 riders. They should get back on though.
  • frenchfighter
    Malori no stranger to hitting the floor:
    14240026051_c9ab8cf77b_o_zps66961f15.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    Right turn ahead...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • frenchfighter
    2ks. Contador 5th wheel.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Katusha blow it up. Sagan 3rd wheel. Contador 4th.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Caruso has 50m. Dan Martin coming fast. MM wheel. Froome there.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Matthews wins from Martin. Contador dropped several places but just fine for a broken leg. Valverde further back. Not sure where Uran or Quintana came.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    Good finish, but I don't get the feeling I missed much by only tuning in for the last 8km.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • frenchfighter
    Dan Martin did all the chasing in the last few hundred and Matthews came round with 25m a la Gerrans.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Three Belkin right up there.

Good to know Martin is firing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Stage
    Matthews
    Martin
    JRod
    Kelderman
    Martens
    Evans
    Mondory
    Bouhanni
    Moreno
    Froome
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    GC
    Matthews
    Quintana
    Valverde
    Uran
    Caruso
    Chaves
    Bennett
    Arredondo
    Zubeldia
    Brambilla
    Contador is the Greatest
  • milton50
    I never cease to be amazed at how good pro cyclists are. The pace in the final 5km was scary.

Bouhanni finished 8th, well ahead of Degenkolb. Also good to see Purito up there in 3rd. Froome once again proves that he's a decent sprinter.
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    If Dan Martin had been in the drops instead of on the hoods he would have taken that...
  • Enjoyed that finish, MM doing a Gerrans but Dan Martin was unlucky. Impressed with Froome being right up there he obviously hasn't lost his bottle!
  • frenchfighter
    First 16 gapped the rest by 7 secs. No GC losers other than Pinot over 4mins down.

Elissonde, Craddock, Kudus, Tekle, Yates came in 1 to 3 mins down.

Betancur 20mins down. FAIL.

Promising that Contador was in the first group. Placed himself perfectly coming in then slid down some but didn't lose time. Short period of proper full gas rather than sustained high tempo up a HC climb.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Nice inland Andalucia and nothing else until the final 5kms, which had more impact on the GC than I expected.
    Contador very lucky to get the same time, looking at my screen. Quite a gap between him and Arroyo.
    Valverde surprisingly way off on his ideal parcour.

Had a sneaky feeling that Dan Martin might fancy this.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    edited August 2014
    First 16 gapped the rest by 7 secs. No GC losers other than Pinot over 4mins down
    PINOT IS ILL
    Fever has kept him in bed for a whole day

?
    Pinot is racing but going there for 'fun'.

Not GC - stage only I reckon
    PINOT Thibaut ‏@ThibautPinot 28m
    Pour l'instant c'est aucun plaisir, aucune force, rien... J'espère des jours meilleurs et des jours plus frais!
    For now it's no fun, no power, nothing ... I hope for better days and cooler days!
  • Nice commitment by Bohanni to keep points jersey - commentators were looking for him forgetting he was in green
  • Wilco Alberto Robert - in the right place at the right time - good lad

11(35) KELDERMAN WilcoBelkin-Pro Cycling Team
    12(34) CONTADOR AlbertoTinkoff-Saxo,,
    13(37) GESINK RobertBelkin-Pro Cycling Team

Kelderman - 23 - 7th Giro - 4th Dauphine
    10th in Avenir at 19 !! ?
    Massive talent
  • then again Mathews did better