On one codeine sizes.

nobby2607
nobby2607 Posts: 41
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am looking to buy an on one codeine. I am a fannys hair over 6ft and that's put me plumb in the middle of the large and medium. Was wondering if anyone had one or knew what the sizing was like for someone my size.

I'm currently on a 2011 canyon large (20") frame that sometimes makes me feel a little stretched out.

Also read somewhere that there could be a 650b version coming, think it would be worth waiting for that one?

Cheers!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why not compare the effective top tube length of the Canyon and Codeine (add/deduct) 20mm if one has a setback seatpost (and the other not) and allow for any change in stem length, that will tell you which size Codeine will suit you better.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers for that. I have been looking at the sizes and still a little confused, just don't want to splash out 2.5k on a bike that don't fit, I spoke to on one and they said that if it wasn't right they would change it, they said exactly the same about checking the sizes. I have rode a s/ cruz tallboy lt in med and that was way small, I was looking at getting one of those, superb bike but just can't justify paying so much for such a poor spec compared to the codeine. I sized up a large s/ cruz and that's 611mm top tube for the large and that felt ok, but it had a long stem.

The sizes I have are:

Canyon - 620
    On one med - 600
    On one lrg - 620
    Santa Cruz t/boy lt - 586

I was thinking the med would be ok, the lrg only meant to go up to 6ft 4 and I've got a mate that's 6ft 4 and no way would I fit on his transition!! The good thing is with the on one it comes with a 35mm stem so there is scope to go a little longer, but I do want to keep the stem short, especially with it being a wagon wheeler!
  • The Rookie
    Is that top tube length (meaningless) or effective top tube length which you need to compare? Have you added 20mm where a bike has a setback post?

If that IS effective too tube length AND they all have the same amount of setback and anticipated stem length, then you probably want the medium if you find the Canyon a touch to long, if all other factors aren't the same then no comparison can be made without that information.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It's definitely effective top tube length.

Set back?
  • It's definitely effective top tube length.

Set back?

The stem on the on one will be 45mm on the medium.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    What's the stem length on your canyon?
  • The Rookie
    Some seatpost mount the saddle directly inline on top of the post, some have the mounting setback behind the post, you need to allow for that, you can see it quite easily when looking at photo's, you also need to allow for stem length, the Codeine has a 45mm, the one on your Canyon is probably 80-100, if that's the case then for the same ETT and setback the Codeine will be quite a bit shorter in the cockpit (allowing for any backsweep on the bars is much harder as they are all measured differently).
  • The stem length on the canyon was 90mm but dropped to 80mm if I remember right.

The seat post is a reverb so it is directly on top.

The handlebars that come with it are 5degree back sweep.
  • Antm81
    So with the Codeine's 35mm stem (according to on one's site) you'd have a 45mm shorter cockpit on the large or 65mm on the medium. That's a big difference from your canyon. Can you get to on one to try one?
  • No really,

I'm living in sunderland and they're Sheffield I think.

I was kinda hoping to get it ordered soonest because
    I'm offshore at the minute and wanted to get my paws
    On it as soon as I got home!!
  • The Rookie
    From what you say I'd go with the leg, it will be slightly, but not massively, shorter than your Canyon, the medium will be quite a lot shorter.
  • Think you could be right, didn't think about the stem and the difference in the med with the canyon is a fair chunk.

Gonna have a think for a day or two, but probably be going lrg.

Thanks for the help.
  • The Rookie
    Pleasure! Good luck with your decision making!
  • Well decision made.
    Large has been ordered, thanks again for the advice.

Three weeks can't go fast enough!!! :mrgreen:
  • Antm81
    Not a drama. Enjoy and pics when you get it.
  • Well, this is a pain.

The new codeine turned up, size large and it's too big.

Sat on it and the reverb is as far down as it will go, feeling like my legs are a little stretched out. Just went up and down the street on it, and felt not too bad while riding it, just feels oversize when getting on and off.

Going down to the Sheffield store next week to try the medium. They reckon they'll be able to do a frame swap within ten days, so should be ok.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Post a pic sitting on it. I can't reach the ground on my bikes - no need to when you're riding.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Worth the wait, really pleased with mine... enjoy!
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Antm81
    If it feels good riding and with the reverb at full extension your legs aren't quite fully straightening then it's probably not far off. What's it like in terms of reach?

What size reverb is on it? You may be able to swap it for a smaller one if the medium is too small, you could lower the reverb for getting on and off too.

I wouldn't discount the large yet but I'd definitely try the medium.
  • The thing looks awesome and I really can't wait to get out on it.

Was weird sitting on it, the bars felt really high, the changers were uncomfortably touching the top tube, and the saddle felt really high. Once I was sitting on it and moving it felt ok. The reach is spot on, only got a 35mm stem, so scope to adjust if I do need the medium.

Just going to try the medium, then go from there. I would be happy riding the large, just think I need to try the medium first. Killing me having it the garage though and not being able to go out on it!!! I can hear hamsterley Forrest whistling from home!!!!
  • Clangers that's meant to say.
  • Getting beyond a joke with planet x.

Told before I sent the bike back that the frame swap would take 5 - 7 days as the frames are in stock.

Sent it away last thursday, confirmed they had the frame friday 10am, sent an email yesterday asking for an update with a reply telling me there was no update to be had.

Now got an email this morning saying that the frame is now being picked.

Rang them and now being told that the bike won't be sent out to me until realistically early next week. funny how 5 - 7 days turns into two weeks. All plans made for next week, cancelled.

Thoroughly peed off, lack of info, told there wasn't an update now told that its taking double the amount of time.

This bike wants to be worth it.
  • After a little messing around with planet x and getting the bike back, it arrived the day I went away for a week.

Came back and spent 1 1/2 hour with the lizard skins and then went for a little local blast. The medium is perfect, out the box fit bars put pedals on and off it went. Little bit of tinkering to do, but fits perfectly. First time on a bike with geometry and a suspension set up like this with the pike and ccdb. Talk about confidence inspiring, had to reign it back a little, getting a bit too carried away!!

Hamsterley at some point at the weekend when I can get away, then a full day up at Glentress next week. Just can't wait to get out on properly!!