Contador would have won by 3mins

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited August 2014 in Pro race
You all know I said many times Contador would have smoked Nibali and I still hold to that. Interesting seeing this quote from Tinkoff.

"Now cycling is all about numbers and big data. Watts per kilogramme and stuff. We know Rafal's numbers, we know Nibali's numbers more or less because they raced together and we know Alberto's numbers. With the numbers that we have, we believe Alberto would have been three minutes ahead. Of course it's all virtual and so the debate goes nowhere, but we believe Alberto would have won and won quite easily."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/exclusi ... eter-sagan
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Crumbs, you were right, he would have won!! Close the thread quick :)

(Wasn't ahead when he cocked up and fell off though was he?)
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    They're right, it is all virtual and the debate goes nowhere.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    Contador's biggest fan agrees with Contador's boss that Contador would have won :shock:

Everyone knows Thomas would have smoked everyone if he hadn't had to babysit Froome and Porte. I know this therefore it is true.
  • mfin
    This is a nice quote from a thread, FF defending Contador back in 2009, using Lance to support the argument (not knowing enough to be suspicious of Lance let alone Contador)...
    LA was the best 3 week racer of his day, often making 'unbelievable' time on mountains, yet he was also one of the top performers in the time trial. In fact, if you look back in history, nearly all the winners of the Tours made their time in the mountains AND the time trials. Again, my point about subjective tarnishing.

Contador's phenomenal ability is the same as it was for LA and probably most of the other Tour greats, which is the ability to produce significant power while remaining under your lactate threshold (point at which you go anaerobic). This ability enables performance in climbing and time trialling specifically.

(it's not relevant AT ALL to the Tinkoff comments but Tinkoff's comments aren't relevant to anything either :) )
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I thought you had to be "IN IT to Win It"

Very simple to grasp if you don't fall off.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    But what about Froome's numbers? Surely he would have won if he hadn't fallen down several times?

Well - there's always next year to sort it all out....
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    I read that article on CN and started to wonder if Oleg/FF are the same person. Maybe we should ask Tinkov to make us a sign and see if he uses the same crisp box as FF. Better than a dna test I reckon.

Also made me wonder if we should have a parody 'Ogle Tinkov' twitter account. Where every post would have to actually have a sense of reality.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    I'm confused, I thought Contador raced on instinct and feel, not watts per kilogram like those awful Sky robots?
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    andyp wrote:
    I'm confused, I thought Contador raced on instinct and veal, not watts per kilogram like those awful Sky robots?

FTFY
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    If this was brailsford saying Froome would have won would you not have accused him of showing massive disrespect to Nibali?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mfin
    If this was brailsford saying Froome would have won would you not have accused him of showing massive disrespect to Nibali?

Why is that even a question, of course he would.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    We know Rafal's numbers, we know Nibali's numbers more or less because they raced together and we know Alberto's numbers

This is the whole point though. They don't know Nibs' numbers because he was never in a position where he had to race someone who was going to beat him. He didn't have to bring his "A" game so never brought his proper nos - certainly not when riding alongside Majka.

Regardless of the Contador/Froome crashes, it was an impressive destruction of the opposition by Nibali
  • If this was brailsford saying Froome would have won would you not have accused him of showing massive disrespect to Nibali?

+1 to that, saying to the winner that he only won because your man was injured and your man "would have beaten him quite easily" is pretty classless, but I suppose that's what we'd expect from Tinkoff.

Besides, Tinkoff may think he knows Nibbles' numbers but there is always the faint possibility that if he'd been pushed harder, he'd have ridden faster, no?
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • DON'T FEED THE TROLL

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Besides, Tinkoff may think he knows Nibbles' numbers but there is always the faint possibility that if he'd been pushed harder, he'd have ridden faster, no?
    He's also falling into the trap that the amateur data analysts fall into of thinking that climbs are all done at full pace as though it was a time trial.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • If my sister had balls she'd be my brother.

Frenchie is like that annoying bloke at work who is tolerated but everyone apologises for behind his back. He's starting to move beyond parody to being just a bit sad.

I'll stand by now whilst he tells me how he is in fact a successful Oxbridge educated billionaire with many many friends.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    mfin wrote:

Why is that even a question, of course he would.

Nah he'd say that it was showing massive disrespect to Contador, who was the rightful (imaginary) winner.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live