Non technical recovery drinks - any good options out there?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,594
Hi all,

I currently have a glass of skimmed milk with 3 teaspoons of
NSQ-68090-0.jpg
in it after a training ride.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other similar and or better alternatives?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Other brands of flavoured milk powder might be worth a try, I suppose...
  • daniel_b
    Imposter wrote:
    Other brands of flavoured milk powder might be worth a try, I suppose...

Just found this which I will try next - just wondered if anyone had anything they recommended.
    5050854966385_500000_IDShot_3.jpeg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • imposter2.0
    A cheese sandwich with marmite and a layer of cheese & onion crisps crushed into it is my current favourite post training snack....
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Daniel B wrote:
    Hi all,

I currently have a glass of skimmed milk with 3 teaspoons of
    NSQ-68090-0.jpg
    in it after a training ride.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other similar and or better alternatives?

Skimmed milk? That's just water that's been shown a picture of a cow.

Get some full fat in with your chocolate powder.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    I use a mix of Gatorade powder and whey protein powder.

A more 'flavorful' alternative is low-fat chocolate milk.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • imposter2.0
    JayKosta wrote:
    A more 'flavorful' alternative is low-fat chocolate milk.

Co-incidentally, that's what Nesquik actually is. Just in case you didn't read the OP...
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    Semi skimmed milk
    100% cacao melted in a tiny bit of hot water.
    Maple syrup
    A banana
    Some oats
    An egg

Blend and drink.
  • michaelede
    michaelede Posts: 152
    To the OP,

250ml skim milk 88 calories 9g protein 13g carbs
    3 teaspoon (1 tablespoon) of Newsquik 30 calories 7g carbs

118 calories and 20g of carbs? Doesn't seem much to me.

Unless you are tiny I would have thought you might be better off doubling the size of your serving and doubling the amount of nesquik per serving? Don't get me wrong, if you're happy with what you're doing that's fine but I wonder how much impact your current regime is having.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I have a biiig glass of milkshake after a decent ride.

If I'm racing and away then I'll bung some slimfast shakes in my bag - they're meant to be quite good.
  • daniel_b
    michaelede wrote:
    To the OP,

Unless you are tiny I would have thought you might be better off doubling the size of your serving and doubling the amount of nesquik per serving? Don't get me wrong, if you're happy with what you're doing that's fine but I wonder how much impact your current regime is having.

Thanks for the reply Michael, (And others for theirs too)

I am around 69kg, so not tiny, but I am new to training, so don't really know the science of it.

I may switch to semi skimmed, and stick with 'full fat' Nesquik (Other brands are available) and see how it goes.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    A pint of milk and an omlette does quite nicely I find
    I suppose you could make it into an omlette milkshake if it HAS to be a drink!

A banana milkshake is also good but not so great for protein. Blitz a couple of bananas and add milk.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    A basic mix of carbs and protein for a recovery drink is 20 grams of protein and (edit) 40-60 grams (60-80 grams might be too much) of carbs. A small amount of fat is ok, but most of the calories should be from carbs and protein.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    michaelede wrote:
    To the OP,

To be fair though, the whole 'window of optimal recovery' thing is quite disputed. A lot of what I've read suggests that if you're not going to train again for another 24 hours then you should be fine with a regular diet as that's ample time to recharge the muscles with normal food.
  • michaelede
    michaelede Posts: 152
    phreak wrote:
    michaelede wrote:
    To the OP,

To be fair though, the whole 'window of optimal recovery' thing is quite disputed. A lot of what I've read suggests that if you're not going to train again for another 24 hours then you should be fine with a regular diet as that's ample time to recharge the muscles with normal food.

Agree completely however the question was asked about recovery drinks so I assumed the OP had a reason to recover hence my suggestion for increasing the amount of carbs / protein he consumed.

On a related note whilst many studies fail to see anything of statistical significance (which doesn't mean something doesn't work and if you are at a high enough level it is worth chasing marginal gains, ask team SKY!) you really do need to look at the protocol they are using (often an endurance test to failure) which may or may not be relevant to how you train or compete. You also need to look at the population they are testing, usually college level athletes and ask yourself how similar you are to the group under study (in my case not very!) Personally when I do a big high intensity training block, for example Tour of Sufferlandria or 8 days of California on trainer road (so 7 or 8 days back to back of only one to one and a half hours of fairly high intensity) I notice a huge difference in recovery if I get down about 60 to 90 g of carbs and 20 to 30 g of protein quickly (i.e. a big glass of nequik, about 7-800 ml) after I finish and then have a normal meal within 2 hours vs. just having a normal meal (the main difference I notice is a complete lack of muscle soreness, which may or may not equate to any performance gain but it is definitely more pleasant NOT to have it!) but I am a relatively untrained individual who is knocking on a bit, my needs are quite different to a high level athlete who is in his 20's! YMMV :)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    As a kid I loved what we called "pink bunny milk".
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    The Germans swear by alcohol free wheat beer.