Aldi GPS watch

Vaughan1
Vaughan1 Posts: 65
Whos got one and what do you think of it

Comments

• tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I got their hrm years ago and it's unreliable. Wore it on a walk, not a run or a ride but a walk in the Lakes. I got a reading that ranged from 35bpm to 212bmp over the day. I was going up a steep bit and it got up to about 180 odd bmp. I sat down and breathed slowly and it dropped to about 70 bpm. Absolutely unbelievable readings. I can't lower my heart rate from a high reading to what was about 20bpm above my resting rate in 20 seconds. I should have returned it but it was cheap enough to write it off as a bad deal.
    If the GPS has the same reliability I'd not touch it.
  • Vaughan1
    I have one and I ghink its good. I also have the older HRM and have no complaints
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I got their hrm years ago and it's unreliable. Wore it on a walk, not a run or a ride but a walk in the Lakes. I got a reading that ranged from 35bpm to 212bmp over the day. I was going up a steep bit and it got up to about 180 odd bmp. I sat down and breathed slowly and it dropped to about 70 bpm. Absolutely unbelievable readings. I can't lower my heart rate from a high reading to what was about 20bpm above my resting rate in 20 seconds. I should have returned it but it was cheap enough to write it off as a bad deal.

A sample set of one for a completely different product (assuming you aren't talking about a GPS) made some years ago probably isn't that relevant. :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Rolf F wrote:

A sample set of one for a completely different product (assuming you aren't talking about a GPS) made some years ago probably isn't that relevant. :wink:

pffft, you and your science.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    On another site a while ago someone mentioned aldi electronic products like hrm, bike computers and highly likely GPS too. They get them from the same company. If GPS watch comes from same company it is quite reasonable to expect similar quality. Yes, one defective hrm but I've heard bad things from others. A small defect rate perhaps but important if you have the defective one.

Someone asked for an opinion and I just gave an opinion that if the GPS watch is as reliable I'd be reluctant to go for it based on my experience of other aldi personal.electronic products. One person's opinion is as valid as another, the op can decide on whether to get it based on every posters' opinions and other info.
  • Vaughan1
    Oh
    I have the old HRM and thought it was such good value for money. So when the GPS watch came up I bought it and first impressions are good. The computer software is good too. Paying 300 or 400 pounds for the main stream stuff was not a option for me.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Vaughan1 wrote:
    Oh
    I have the old HRM and thought it was such good value for money. So when the GPS watch came up I bought it and first impressions are good. The computer software is good too. Paying 300 or 400 pounds for the main stream stuff was not a option for me.

How much was it? Wiggle were doing the Garmin 800 performance and nav bundle for £220 recently and the 810 is £250 in places around now. The Aldi watch would need to be very cheap.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Vaughan1 wrote:
    Oh

How much was it? Wiggle were doing the Garmin 800 performance and nav bundle for £220 recently and the 810 is £250 in places around now. The Aldi watch would need to be very cheap.

was about £65 i think, include HR strap
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Vaughan1 wrote:
    Oh

was about £65 i think, include HR strap

I guess that's reasonable for a watch. I bought various mid-hi range last-model Forerunner watches (with HRM) at sub-£100. As much as I hate Garmin right now, I think that's the route I'd go. Is the Aldi one Strava compatible too?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH