Garmin Edge 800 Virtual Racer

chrisaonabike
chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
Based on the apparent ability of the Garmin Edge 800 to use a previous course (and its actual speeds) as a training partner, I'm thinking of giving it a go, since most of my routes I ride many times.

Not that I'm ever likely to get a KOM anywhere - the idea is to make sure I know how to use the feature properly for riding against my own RL100 course from last year, in a few weeks time.

Does anyone know if it still records the new ride, at the same time as you're racing against the old one?
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Comments

• Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    I am pretty sure it records the new ride.

Instructions are here.

http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/use-your-g ... rava-koms/
  • chrisaonabike
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    I am pretty sure it records the new ride.

Instructions are here.

http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/use-your-g ... rava-koms/
    Cheers, that's the link I posted.

It doesn't say explicitly whether the new ride is recorded - it would seem daft for it not to. But I was just hoping to get a definite confirmation from someone here that's used the feature.

I should get a chance to try it myself over the next couple of days, so I'll post back if no one knows for sure.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    New ride is recorded
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    It definitely records the current ride.

You can load and follow multiple courses during any given ride. Even if I don't think I'll beat a Strava KOM I will often follow my PB on a segment so I can race against myself.
  • chrisaonabike
    BrandonA wrote:
    It definitely records the current ride.

You can load and follow multiple courses during any given ride. Even if I don't think I'll beat a Strava KOM I will often follow my PB on a segment so I can race against myself.
    Thanks guys. Confirmed this myself now, it works a treat. Really pleased I stuck with the 800 now, instead of getting an 810.

Next question - can it do turn-by-turn guidance as well as keeping track of the earlier ride along that course? I'm hoping to do about 80 miles tomorrow and I haven't ridden the route for nearly a year. So it would be handy to have TBT on so that I don't have to stop if forget which way to go.

Cheers.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Yes