Basingstoke ideal hill training?

Dazza @>@'
Dazza @>@' Posts: 65
Hi,
Does anyone know of a good hill on which I can train for hill climbing?
I'm crap at hills as I burn out to quickly and my legs scream (softy that I am).

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Hi

Do you use Strava? Go onto the segment explorer for that area and you should (if there are any hills) find something.

Cheers
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,927
    Farleigh Hill is on your doorstep... The approach out of Cliddesden will give you a bit of a workout.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    A general improvement in fitness will give you an improved ability to climb hills. You don't actually need to climb hills in order to achieve that. As long as you are working at the right intensities for the right durations, you can achieve it on the flat.
  • A few hills around Cliddesden worth a go, Farleigh Hill, Northgate Lane and I know there is one over by Whitchurch which is quite tough - if you head out along Pack Lane and explore some of the lanes near Oakley there are a few smallish ramps that are pretty good fun too.
  • Dazza @>@'
    Cheers, I'm looking to get out for short rides from the churchill roundabout area to do hill repeats build up the legs.

My issue is I get breathless really quick but no longer fly up the gears to the easiest it take a little longer now.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Dazza @>@' wrote:
    Cheers, I'm looking to get out for short rides from the churchill roundabout area to do hill repeats build up the legs.

My issue is I get breathless really quick but no longer fly up the gears to the easiest it take a little longer now.

Sounds like a fitness issue, rather than anything hill-specific. A general improvement in your aerobic fitness will see a similar improvement in your ability to climb hills. But as I said, you don't specifically need to climb hills in order to improve your climbing ability.
  • From Churchill Way you could probably head towards the station and then go up the road that heads towards the Vyne School, its not particularly steep or long but if you are just looking to get a quick ride in and get a sweat on if you were to fly up that and then back down the other side past the Way Inn - you could do that loop a few times? I would personally suggest taking the road out of Old Basing towards Newnham, its quiet, slight undulation but good for doing some interval stuff which should improve the fitness.
  • Dazza @>@'
    Cheers for the advice, I have to get out more and work harder, before and after work so the I know the road upto Vyne school, under the rail beidge......... I am going to knock together a training plan for myself by doing a little research online maybe get the Sufferfest back out.
  • velogee
    velogee Posts: 133
    I pretty much live on Churchill roundabout and as has been mentioned The lower slopes of Farleigh Hill are within 10 mins. The other local hill I like is White Hill towards Kingsclere which I find killer.
    Madone 4.9 2014
    Jeffsy 27.5 2018
  • velogee
    velogee Posts: 133
    Oh, and Hannington mast has a number of different climbs to the top.
    Madone 4.9 2014
    Jeffsy 27.5 2018