Doing a sportive: elevation profile on top-tube

Shtukka
Shtukka Posts: 59
edited June 2014 in Road general
Folks,
I'm all psyched up for the Chiltern Classic on Saturday (despite the chance of rain!). I like the idea of putting an elevation profile on my top tube so I can get some context during my torture.

I've printed off a basic and usable version from loading the gpx into bikeroutetoaster, however I'm looking for suggestions on

a) How to attach the paper print-out to my top-tube without leaving residue on the carbon frame, or having the paper disolve under my sweat

b) If anyone knows how to print out an elevation profile so that I don't have to turn my head 90 degrees to read the mile-axis on the ride. This sounds trivial but I every little helps especially when brain is oxygen starved. (i.e. I want to print it with a short x-axis showing elevation and a long y-axis showing miles). Not sure I've explained that well...

Comments

• matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Hi,
    What about sticky back plastic?
    You could use alcohol to remove any bits later.
    You could cut the paper into segments to lay them horizontal?

Matt
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Scotch Magic Tape is perfect for attaching stuff to top tubes - leaves little residue.

I wouldn't normally apply just paper though - I prefer to laminate whatever and then tape it for ultimate waterproofing.

Magic Tape can also be written on with a Sharpie for quick and easy waypoint notes. Unless you bought into the whole stealth black bike thing.

Don't know about the elevation thing - my Garmin does that job.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Just use some of that sticky clear fablon stuff to stick it down with and use baby wipes to clean any residue off.

I guess to get it 'landscape' on the top tube you'll just have to print in pretty small?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Shtukka
    Just got very distracted at work by marcusj's 24hr ride. Crumbs.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    Print it out and cut it so that you have a long strip, then fold it round the top tube and tape the ends together so that you have a tube. This way you can move it round as you go along. No need to tape anything to the frame itself. Also works on stems.
  • matt-h
    Print it out and cut it so that you have a long strip, then fold it round the top tube and tape the ends together so that you have a tube. This way you can move it round as you go along. No need to tape anything to the frame itself. Also works on stems.

Genius!
  • matt-h

Genius!
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    matt-h wrote:

Genius!

Genius only if you don't have a garmin or computer on your stem.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would not go for the full elevation profile. For a start, you will end up riding like Chris Froome going obliviously through some beautiful countryside fixated by looking at your top tube/stem! I can appreciate that knowing when the big climbs arrive does help so just focus on those (less really is more). Print out a small list of the 4/5 main climbs and the distance they arrive at, making things as simple as possible so you can read quickly when on the bike (sounds like a no brainer but it is hard to read and ride at the same time, specially on a bumpy surface).

Something like:
    20k. xxx Climb
    45k. xxx Hill
    60k. Feedstop
    90k. Last climb (big one)

I also normally do the laminating thing for routecards but I like the simple idea from marcus of just wrapping the list in scotch tape since you should only have a few items of note rather than a turn-by-turn list.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    edited June 2014
    Or just study the route and memorise where the hills are! That's what I did on a recent ride, I knew the big climbs were approx 15, 35, 40 and 55 miles so I knew when they arrived they were the climbs and not some little foothill I'd get over quickly.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Print out whatever you want and put sellotape over it - both sides. Then trim to size. That will be water/sweatproof enough.

I dont think you need the full profile - just the key bits.

Have fun.
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    Scotch tape as said above, some clear plastic wrap or even a small ziploc bag that you tape in place with some weak adhesive tape. I'd say that even some duct tape for a short period like an event would hold up better and it comes off with alcohol or spirits, as suggested above, also. If there is a good chance of rain using some form of lamination or wrap as well as decent tape would hole up longer in the wet.

Good luck on your Sportive, too.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    Brakeless wrote:
    matt-h wrote:

Genius!

Then you put it on your frame.
  • Shtukka
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I would not go for the full elevation profile. For a start, you will end up riding like Chris Froome going obliviously through some beautiful countryside fixated by looking at your top tube/stem! I can appreciate that knowing when the big climbs arrive does help so just focus on those (less really is more). Print out a small list of the 4/5 main climbs and the distance they arrive at, making things as simple as possible so you can read quickly when on the bike (sounds like a no brainer but it is hard to read and ride at the same time, specially on a bumpy surface).

Something like:
    20k. xxx Climb
    45k. xxx Hill
    60k. Feedstop
    90k. Last climb (big one)

I also normally do the laminating thing for routecards but I like the simple idea from marcus of just wrapping the list in scotch tape since you should only have a few items of note rather than a turn-by-turn list.

Thanks all for the input. Looks like a few options to attach to top tube. Kudos to Bobbinogs for the solution that I think's the best bet for me. I found a similar example and reckon that's a manageable amount of data.

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I've done something similar for a few sportives.
    I print a small list with the following headings:

Start.......Avg %......Dist

56km.......6.2%......4.1km
    81km.......9.5%......2.2km
    90km - Food Stop -
    105km......4.8%.....3.9km
    etc...

As others have suggested I usually just laminate it with a couple of strips of sellotape and tape it to the stem.
    Sellotape isn't great when wet but it's good enough for a few hours of rain.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Brakeless wrote:
    matt-h wrote:

Genius!

Then you put it on your frame.

Or your wrists - that's what the audaxers do for navigation. Works just as well as a GPS!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Seems a lot of effort for what is a trundle around the countryside
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Seems a lot of effort for what is a trundle around the countryside
    Ride to start, have a cuppa, ride course, bit of lunch, ride home in time for tea.
    Don't worry about pasting a profile, you'll over think it and ruin your day worrying. Most of the difficulty will be in your mind not your legs. Cue rousing music and pictures waving flags etc....
  • Shtukka
    darkhairedlord, you've certainly got a point. Maybe I am overthinking this.

But I've done it now :?

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    It's a matter of preference and also depends somewhat on whether you're treating it as a "trundle around the countryside" or if you're going to be pushing yourself.
    I've done some sportive rides with and some without notes. Nothing wrong with either. It can be useful to know when the big climbs are coming to plan nutrition, decide whether to chase to join a group, etc. I know I hate eating while climbing so if I'm about to spend 20mins on a climb I may want to have a nibble first, tricky to do if you can't remember where the climbs are.

One word of caution however...
    You can be lulled into the delusion that your list contains all the hard bits and the rest is all easy. It can feel very different on the ride. The smaller unexpected stuff can sometimes feel just as tough which can be disheartening if you're taking the list thing to seriously!
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    Shtukka, that looks nice in the pics, clear and easy to read at a quick glance. Nicely done. The last paragraph by Ai_1 is a good thought, too. Its only a summary not an analysis to live by.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Or just study the route and memorise where the hills are! That's what I did on a recent ride, I knew the big climbs were approx 15, 35, 40 and 55 miles so I knew when they arrived they were the climbs and not some little foothill I'd get over quickly.

+1, I did the Arrow 103 mile one with a mate and I knew every section like the back of my hand before we even rode it.

You just need to break it down into sections and what mileage they appear at. Keep looking at the elevation profile and memorise feed stops, climbs, descents, long flats/slight up/down sections etc and you'll know where you can push and where to go steady.