Beetroot Juice with Pineapple Juice

dork_knight
dork_knight Posts: 405
The other year I gave a dose of beetroot juice (90% to 10% Apple Juice) a day a go for a month or so, I struggled with the taste and ended up ditching it and not going back.

After making changes to my diet this year I'm thinking of giving it another go but diluting it with pineapple juice.

I was wondering if anyone else does this with shop bought juice and if so what do you find the best mix per day, for example;

500ml per day with a 50/50 mix of beet juice and pineapple juice

Thank You
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Doesnt sound very appetizing
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    The other year I gave a dose of beetroot juice (90% to 10% Apple Juice) a day a go for a month or so, I struggled with the taste and ended up ditching it and not going back.

After making changes to my diet this year I'm thinking of giving it another go but diluting it with pineapple juice.

I was wondering if anyone else does this with shop bought juice and if so what do you find the best mix per day, for example;

500ml per day with a 50/50 mix of beet juice and pineapple juice

Thank You

Why are you doing this i.e. what is your objective?
  • dork_knight
    Just trying to give this nitrate thing another go over a period of a month or two, I'm going to see if it helps overtime improve any endurance type rides (pretty much impossible to tell I guess as fitness improves as well) along with the general health benefits that beetroot juice is supposed to provide.

So I'm thinking that along with the benefits of pineapple juice then why not mix the two to try and make it more palatable.

It's just knowing what the best ratio's are I guess for the daily intake for both... without it being too vile.
  • hypster
    Just trying to give this nitrate thing another go over a period of a month or two, I'm going to see if it helps overtime improve any endurance type rides (pretty much impossible to tell I guess as fitness improves as well) along with the general health benefits that beetroot juice is supposed to provide.

So I'm thinking that along with the benefits of pineapple juice then why not mix the two to try and make it more palatable.

It's just knowing what the best ratio's are I guess for the daily intake for both... without it being too vile.

I read up about it some time back and decided it wasn't worthwhile. Unless you are competing at a high level what's the point? The amount you have to consume each day with the cost and everything else for some dubious benefit which you won't be able to quantify anyway. It would be easier to take a concentrated version like Beet IT which is fairly widely available including Tescos I think.

http://www.beet-it.com/
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    I did try and enjoy beetroot juice, but boy the wind, when it's not diarrhea, is phenomenal... :shock:

Not sure it's supposed to work by jet effect... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • dork_knight
    I would mix shop bought juice (Beet It from ASDA or Tesco do another 90/10 branded one as well) with shop bought pineapple juice, I wouldn't bother making it myself.

Just wondering if the other benefits outside performance is also worth it.

Yep, I've read too much beetroot juice will give you diarrhoea so not overdoing it is a concern ~ Could be messy out on a club run :o
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Interestingly it's suggested that beetroot juice helps your average guy far more than elite athletes.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • hypster
    Interestingly it's suggested that beetroot juice helps your average guy far more than elite athletes.

It is interesting but I'd like to know how you would quantify that? I'm not talking about hard research but do you think you would really be able to tell a difference week on week? Maybe you could MRS with your power meter but you would have to keep stringent records of each ride.

Even then do you think you would be able to notice a significant effect over time?
  • meanredspider
    hypster wrote:

It is interesting but I'd like to know how you would quantify that? I'm not talking about hard research but do you think you would really be able to tell a difference week on week? Maybe you could MRS with your power meter but you would have to keep stringent records of each ride.

Even then do you think you would be able to notice a significant effect over time?

Dunno. The ex-pro in my Dutch LBS swears by beetroot juice. I don't remember where I read about that research either - which isn't very helpful.

It tastes pretty nasty so it must be doing you some good :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Could you just mix it in a smoothie with other fruit or vegetables?

Foods that are good for the liver, or offer detoxifying are always going to be beneficial for the body but not necessarily improving cycling performance.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • meanredspider
    Could you just mix it in a smoothie with other fruit or vegetables?

I mix it with apple juice at about 50:50 - it isn't too bad like that.
  • If you don't like the taste you can buy nitrate supplements.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • hypster
    What sort of dosage level are we talking about - beetroot juice or nitrate supplements?
  • How about eating some Beetroot instead?