Hi Fi

2»

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I run a fairly lowly Arcam setup (amp and CD), along with a sonos feeding into it and a Thorens TD150 mk II for vinyl. It may not be "expensive" but sounds good to me, especially vinyl now that the Thorens is fully overhauled and sounding good. I stuck Dark side of the moon on the other day and it sounded amazing.

Marcusjb, what dealership do you co-own, any of the ones near me? ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    menthel wrote:
    I run a fairly lowly Arcam setup (amp and CD), along with a sonos feeding into it and a Thorens TD150 mk II for vinyl. It may not be "expensive" but sounds good to me, especially vinyl now that the Thorens is fully overhauled and sounding good. I stuck Dark side of the moon on the other day and it sounded amazing.

I've heard a lot of expensive kit that is bobbins. And some 'cheap' systems that work beautifully.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Building up a good hifi is a bit like building a good set of wheels. Good hubs/spokes/rims don't necessarily build into a good wheel, its the right combination of components that matters. Of course if you want "good" i.e. light, then you typically have to pay more for light strong components.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    menthel wrote:

Fraid not - out in Buckinghamshire that company.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    menthel wrote:
    I run a fairly lowly Arcam setup (amp and CD), along with a sonos feeding into it and a Thorens TD150 mk II for vinyl. It may not be "expensive" but sounds good to me, especially vinyl now that the Thorens is fully overhauled and sounding good.

Where did you get your TD150 overhauled? Once I sort out what I want I'd like to look forward to digging out the old half-speed mastered "Moon". :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    I run a fairly lowly Arcam setup (amp and CD), along with a sonos feeding into it and a Thorens TD150 mk II for vinyl. It may not be "expensive" but sounds good to me, especially vinyl now that the Thorens is fully overhauled and sounding good.

Where did you get your TD150 overhauled? Once I sort out what I want I'd like to look forward to digging out the old half-speed mastered "Moon". :D

Place near where I live called O'Brien Hifi. Very good they are too.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    marcusjb wrote:

There is the alternative school of thought of 'source first', which Linn were key to the advocation of this approach (back 40 years ago when everyone believed the speaker was the most important component). To that end, my system uses fairly modest speakers (a pair of grand and a half floor standers) driven by electronics that cost many times more.

I know I would rather have £ speakers driven by £££ electronics than £££ speakers driven by £ electronics - garbage in, garbage out.

Works for me, but as with everything in audio, use your ears and listen before making your own mind up.

I wonder, though, if what was true in the analogue era (when cartridges and turntables varied a lot in performance) and in the early digital era (when cheap CD players came with poor DACs) is true today? With most decent modern gear you have to work quite hard to send real garbage to your amplifier, and cheap PCs can substitute very effectively for expensive custom electronics. I'm especially sceptical about spending serious money on anything upstream of the DAC. One of your brands, Naim, will sell me 'the tantalising but mouth-wateringly expensive CD555' CD player for £15,000 ('eye-wateringly expensive' might be more accurate in my case!). By all accounts, this player is superbly engineered and the output is as good as it gets. On the other hand, I could make a bit-perfect copy of the CD with a £20 optical drive in a £300 PC, and stream it from a hard disk or network instead. This might make me question if my £15,000 was well spent, though I'd still have the problem of getting the audio to my amp.

One solution would be the wonderfully named Linn Klimax DS, a £13,000 digital music player. This is another beautiful piece of kit, with the sort of design that makes Jonathan Ive envious, and reviewers praise its fantastic sound. Alternatively, I could just buy an £80 Apple Airport Express and get bit-perfect transfer of the digital audio to my receiver's DAC (or a dedicated DAC). This isn't really fair on the CD555 or the Klimax DS, both of which include their own DACs and have analogue outputs. But £13,000+ buys an awful lot of DAC.

The Klimax would also handle 24-bit audio, which the Airport Express does not (though future versions might, given the rumours about 24 bit files coming to iTunes). But right now I own no 24 bit music at all, and the results from blinded comparisons don't make me too enthusiastic about upgrading any of my existing collection (especially given the age of my ears!). It's also unfair of me just to quote the high end pricing - I see that Linn makes some much more reasonably priced gear, all the way down to the £1000 Sneaky, which includes an amplifier and ought to be a big seller.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,484
    My pair of p7's and my I phone are fine, thank you.

Music through the iPhone, airport and cinema surround is solid as well. The current house is cat v wired and music can be streamed to any room with the ceiling speakers which while convenient is about the best thing that can be said.

I appreciate you can open your wallet with decreasing returns after a certain point and it's an elusive beast, the set up your entirely happy with.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    RDW wrote:
    I wonder, though, if what was true in the analogue era (when cartridges and turntables varied a lot in performance) and in the early digital era (when cheap CD players came with poor DACs) is true today? With most decent modern gear you have to work quite hard to send real garbage to your amplifier, and cheap PCs can substitute very effectively for expensive custom electronics. I'm especially sceptical about spending serious money on anything upstream of the DAC. One of your brands, Naim, will sell me 'the tantalising but mouth-wateringly expensive CD555' CD player for £15,000 ('eye-wateringly expensive' might be more accurate in my case!). By all accounts, this player is superbly engineered and the output is as good as it gets. On the other hand, I could make a bit-perfect copy of the CD with a £20 optical drive in a £300 PC, and stream it from a hard disk or network instead. This might make me question if my £15,000 was well spent, though I'd still have the problem of getting the audio to my amp. {snip}

An excellent point and something that is troubling me. With high-speed instrumentation it must surely be possible to compare the original bit stream (e.g. used to produce the CD) with that extracted by different technologies and determine what level of electronic sophistication is necessary for complete fidelity to the source. I suspect that it isn't very much.

Some of the arguments I've read tend, to be frank, towards the "homeopathic" suggesting that some indefinable improvement results from using such-and-such an approach. With analogue sources and amplifiers and speakers, certainly. With digital - I'm sceptical.

It's been shown many times that a meal served on a paper plate and eaten with plastic cutlery is regarded as inferior to the same meal served on fine china, resting on crisp linen and eaten with good quality utensils. Maybe this is what's happening with high-priced/performance digital sources? You might get the same effect by having a glass of wine with your music. :)

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't started. :shock: :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)