Waterford R33

boggyass
boggyass Posts: 221
edited June 2014 in Your road bikes
Got this beaut built up. Modern parts on steel with that retro look using shiner bits where I can https://www.dropbox.com/sc/20em0eir2pcy ... rYijvwvCpa

Comments

• boggyass
    Cheers, and thanks for putting up the pix
  • n3crophile
    n3crophile Posts: 52
    Wow - nice bike! Really nice!

I will be doing the same sort of modernisation process soon to a Gazelle Formula Race, hope it turns out as sweet as yours!
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    That's really tasteful.
    Like that a lot
  • boggyass
    did i buy the frame from you Matt?
  • matig0l
    matig0l Posts: 37
    I like that a lot. Great job.

Any details on the components/materials?
  • Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    Superb looking bike. I like that a lot.

1967 Engine
  • boggyass
    Thanks for the nice comments. It's a true temper R33 steel frame with teardrop tubes. Fitted with 10speed SRAM red groupo with only the crankset older than the rest. Want to replace it with more modern set with XGLIDE rings. Running a hill friendly XG powerglide 11-28 cassette. Wanted as much american and hint at retro with the polished Ritchey classic bars and stem with Thomson post. Americans classic sprint 350 with ultremo rubber. A comfy arionne and replaced the colour matching Q Force carbon forks for the ENVE 1.0. I think the black contrasts well and also nods to it being a modern steed even though it's got nice shiney silver bits.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Are you by any chance from Cambridge? There is a guy popping around on a very similar bike that I see regularly.
  • boggyass
    No, in southsea, portsmouyh
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    The geometry looks borked. How does it ride?
  • boggyass
    Yep, a bit but was a customer frame from prev owner. 56 tt with 52 st. Does actually ride very well. Done a couple hills and holds line well cornering and no jitteriness in decents
  • styxd
    Good stuff. Lovely frame, just looks very steep and low. Can you pedal round corners on it? Any problems with "toe overlap"?
  • boggyass
    Not hit anything yet. My Tommasini has shorter wheelbase and is 1cm bigger and that has more toe overlap issues. I think the angle at which the pic was taken and the bike leaning against the fence may make it look more steep than it really is. Got to say the frame isn't as stiff as my Tommasini which is made from nivacrom steel but the Waterford is much noticeably lighter
  • styxd
    any pics of yhe Tommasini? Lovely frames!
  • boggyass
    Heres the tOmmy. Its a Tommasini tecno Extra. Fillet brazed and all steel including the fork. Full record group with a comfortable Brooks saddle and bar tape