How to get good braking on carbon rims….

2»

Comments

• LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    drlodge wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    Pros dont have to change their own pads...

You try removing a campag brake block from the shoe and then tell me why no one has mentioned them in this thread! :wink:

Its not that difficult, just lever out at the rear end and pop...out it comes.

Yep easy to get out - a bugga to fit new ones though. This is where a vice and washing up liquid come in handy!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    They just slide in...from the open end ?!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    The newer Campag Red pads are really good with Boras. Even in the wet they're usable! Much better than the yellow Swisstop with Planet X tubs (although obviously not a fair comparison - different wheels, callipers etc).
    A few drops of chain lube before 'sliding' them in helps - they're practically impossible to get into the holders without.
  • The newer Campag Red pads are really good with Boras.

Came to say the same thing! Find them almost as good as alloy sidewalls, although they do squeal a bit.
  • SkyFlyboy
    SkyFlyboy Posts: 24
    Good to know I'm on my first set of carbon wheels and went for the campag red ones and found them no problem to pop out and slide in really easy with the spring clicking when you know it's in. I've got nothing to compare against but found them quite good after a few rides. Was just wondering how people found them in comparison as I thought they couldn't be too bad if shimano and SRAM riders are using them instead of their own sponsors or third party company's pads
    2013 Focus Izalco Team SL SR EPS
    2012 Pinarello FP Due SR
  • jewbs
    jewbs Posts: 139
    I have a set of enves and spoke to envy last year about using different brake pads with their wheels. I was interested to know if they had done any testing with swissstop black prince pads as these had very good reviews at the time with very good stopping power with less heat build up. I had a trip to italy booked so was looking for the best braking i could get. They were quick to reply but advised me to stick with their own pads as these were designed for the rims plus using any other pads would invalidate the warranty. I've not had any issues with there pads they seem to stop me very well, i'm happy with the braking performance. Perhaps its worth bearing in mind that you should use the pads recommended by the rim makers or you could invalidate your warranty.
  • jewbs wrote:
    IPerhaps its worth bearing in mind that you should use the pads recommended by the rim makers or you could invalidate your warranty.

I find this very hard to believe and almost impossible to validate.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    I find this very hard to believe and almost impossible to validate.

Well, if the rims come with blue pads and they end up being covered in yellow marks, that might be a clue... I always thought that was the reason for all these colours nonsense :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Grill wrote:

There is no way. 7900 puts 6700 to shame.
    I now use EE which are every bit as good as 7900/9000 but way lighter.

$660 a caliper? :shock: Are they that good?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Stueys wrote:
    Grill wrote:

There is no way. 7900 puts 6700 to shame.
    I now use EE which are every bit as good as 7900/9000 but way lighter.

$660 a caliper? :shock: Are they that good?

Yes.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    Grill wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Berni I have some Yellows on their way with my new wheels. Should I bin them and get Lightweight's pads?

No, buy these instead: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-performance-carbon-road-brake-inserts-pack-of-4/

Same as the Reynolds Cryo Blue pads which are the best I've used and way cheaper.

Cheers for the tip. Bought a set and can now brake with a lot more power and control. (Least in the dry) :)