How to get good braking on carbon rims….

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
this has kind of been the holy grail for me over the last few years; very hard to find, and maybe doesn't even exist.

But now I think I've cracked it; new wheels, brakes and pads, and I now have braking to rival any I've ever tried on a road bike (in the dry).

Firstly, the Lightweight wheels with Lightweight pads were very impressive, a big step up from Mavic Ultimates with BBB carbon pads. Then DA 9000 brakes completed the package, and the power and modulation is excellent.

So not sure if it's the pads, the rim, or the brakes or a combination of all 3, but this is how to get great stopping power with carbon rims.

Yet to try them in the wet; no doubt power will be well down, always the weak point on carbon rims, but I hate riding in the rain anyway….!

Comments

• mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    I to have much better braking. The only thing I've changed though is to the 6800 group. The braking on that is the biggest improvement over 6700 IMHO. Power is still good in the wet but obviously not quite as good as in the dry conditions.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Berni I have some Yellows on their way with my new wheels. Should I bin them and get Lightweight's pads?
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    SO the message is to buy the Lightweights?
    They're not even that expensive, init?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    so all I've got to do is get a sight of Lightweights?

excellent - this may be how I finally get some past the missus...."you can't put a price on safety"
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Berni I have some Yellows on their way with my new wheels. Should I bin them and get Lightweight's pads?

No, buy these instead: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-performance-carbon-road-brake-inserts-pack-of-4/

Same as the Reynolds Cryo Blue pads which are the best I've used and way cheaper.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    Grill wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

No, buy these instead: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-performance-carbon-road-brake-inserts-pack-of-4/

Same as the Reynolds Cryo Blue pads which are the best I've used and way cheaper.

Grill - Have you tried Swissstop Black Prince? These wear fast, squeal a bit but brake without pulsing.

And do the Lifeline ones pulse under heavy braking?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    *whispers from behind the sofa*

D-i-s-c-s, get d-i-s-c-s..... :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    <...>
    Yet to try them in the wet; no doubt power will be well down, always the weak point on carbon rims, but I hate riding in the rain anyway….!

i've done a lot of wet rides on my lw wheels

as with other rims, standard stuff that helps is to just skim the pads to clear water if you think you may need to brake, it avoids those tense moments before you get any braking at all on fully wet rims, for unexpected hard braking you just have to hope you stop in time :)

btw i find in the wet they get quite snatchy
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • bernithebiker
    Bar Shaker wrote:

I think a big part of this is the pads.

I've tried Swiss stop yellows and wasn't super impressed.

The 9000 brakes definitely add another boost - and they're a bit lighter than 7900!
  • Grill
    bisoner wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Grill - Have you tried Swissstop Black Prince? These wear fast, squeal a bit but brake without pulsing.

I have tried Black Prince, they didn't seem any better. These don't pulse or squeal.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Take the Fred Flintstone approach and brake with your feet
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    So the secret to good braking is the wheels, pads and brakes? glad that's sorted then, i've been awake worrying about that for bloody ages
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    So the secret to good braking is the wheels, pads and brakes? glad that's sorted then, i've been awake worrying about that for bloody ages

No - the secret to good braking should have nothing to do with the wheels: brakes, discs, pads and tyres - anything else is a compromise as far as braking is concerned. I concede that some people might want to make that compromise however.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    bisoner wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Berni I have some Yellows on their way with my new wheels. Should

I had no squeal with BP,at least not on Bora Ultra wheels but these pads are disappearing under heavy breaking :oops:
  • bernithebiker

Well of course, but the question is which ones, surely?
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Grill wrote:
    bisoner wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

I have tried Black Prince, they didn't seem any better. These don't pulse or squeal.

Are they as good as the Black Prince in the wet? If they are then buying some of these Lifeline's is a no brainer
  • Grill
    Can't say, I've never tried BP's in the wet.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905

Don't forget that you can't ride in the wet, either.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    DiscoBoy wrote:

Don't forget that you can't ride in the wet, either.

A1 investment then.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Reynolds wheels with their blue cryo pads. Great in the dry and thats only with 6700 brakes.

Not tried in wet though.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Grill wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Cheers Grill, 2 sets ordered (meaning free delivery so second set almost free!)

Anyone want to buy some unused Swissstops?
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • goonz wrote:
    Reynolds wheels with their blue cryo pads. Great in the dry and thats only with 6700 brakes.

Not tried in wet though.

I actually thought my 6700 breaks were better than 7900.....
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Grill
    goonz wrote:

Not tried in wet though.

I actually thought my 6700 breaks were better than 7900.....

There is no way. 7900 puts 6700 to shame.
    I now use EE which are every bit as good as 7900/9000 but way lighter.
  • SkyFlyboy
    SkyFlyboy Posts: 24
    Just out of interest no one ever seems to mention campag carbon brake pads when a discussion like this comes up but seeing a lot of the pros use them even ones not running campag. How do they compare with swissstops etc?
    2013 Focus Izalco Team SL SR EPS
    2012 Pinarello FP Due SR
  • Grill
    SkyFlyboy wrote:
    Just out of interest no one ever seems to mention campag carbon brake pads when a discussion like this comes up but seeing a lot of the pros use them even ones not running campag. How do they compare with swissstops etc?

Pros use the pads their sponsors tell them to. You'll notice the Shimano sponsored teams are using Shimano pads even though there's much better on the market.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Grill wrote:
    SkyFlyboy wrote:

Pros use the pads their sponsors tell them to. You'll notice the Shimano sponsored teams are using Shimano pads even though there's much better on the market.

you didn't quite read the guys post. I too saw photos of various Pro teams using Campag carbon pads when their sponsor was a supplier beginning with S

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gallery/a ... -41013/40/

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gallery/a ... -41013/58/
  • Grill
    Interesting, I hadn't seen that. Haven't heard any real feedback on them as most guys I know running carbon Campag wheels are using Swissstop.
  • goonz
    SkyFlyboy wrote:

Pros dont have to change their own pads...

You try removing a campag brake block from the shoe and then tell me why no one has mentioned them in this thread! :wink:
  • goonz
    To be honest though, my campag pads were actually really good. Much better than any Shimano standard pad. Just a total bitchh to remove.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    goonz wrote:
    Pros dont have to change their own pads...

You try removing a campag brake block from the shoe and then tell me why no one has mentioned them in this thread! :wink:

Its not that difficult, just lever out at the rear end and pop...out it comes.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava