boardman team FS front hub bearings

kirby700
kirby700 Posts: 458
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
HI all,

Does anyone know how to extract the bearings on these formula hubs? its a 15mm thru axle, the covers simply pull off to reveal the sealed bearings but I cant see how the hollow thru axle is removed or the bearings? ( I did try tapping it lightly but don't want to knacker it)

Help they are really rumbling now and need to double check sizes before starting the search for the bearings

Cheers
GIANT XTC 2.5
BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Knock out from the inside.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kirby700
    I cant because the "liner axle"? (tube) wont come out.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If its the same as mine then you can use a flat blade screwdriver to push the tube across about a millimetre and expose just enough bearing to knock it out.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As above The tube moves. Or should.

It is no different to most other cartridge bearing hubs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kirby700
    There's zero gap between the tube and the bearing. Really confused.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    I am sure that tube just taps out, looks like the same idea as my spesh front wheel and the tube came out easily with a soft faced hammer
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I serviced a Formula hub last year and the tube had shoulders on it that the bearing inner race butted up to. Soft mallet, 2 blocks of wood to support hub, a deep breath and wallop I knocked out tube and 1 bearing. Flipped wheel over put tube back in and wallop knocked other bearing out.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • kirby700
    I think I'll give that a go. It looks like the only way t o be honest but didn't want to go and beat the crap out it and mangled it.
    Thanks

I'll let you all know how it gets on. Just need to source the bearings now. (couldn't decide if just write the wheel off and get a new one)
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA