Interval Help

nacnudsmada
nacnudsmada Posts: 55
Hi

I need some advice, i need to drop 3 stone, i am thinking of putting in some intervals to my training.

but not sure if i should look at HR - Cadance or speed or Time

Has anyone had experience which worked?

Thanks Duncan

Comments

• JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    For weight loss the only thing that works is to reduce calorie intake.
    Use mental toughness to convince yourself that being hungry is GOOD, because it means you are losing weight.

Exercise can be part of the process to burn more calories, but don't 'reward' yourself by eating more.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Intervals in themselves are not a route to weight loss, as such. But riding harder, or longer - or both - will mean that you burn more calories on your rides.

As above though, weight loss usually starts in the kitchen.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    JayKosta wrote:
    Use mental toughness to convince yourself that being hungry is GOOD, because it means you are losing weight.

Exercise can be part of the process to burn more calories, but don't 'reward' yourself by eating more.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA

I Disagree. The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you eat. This can be done either by reducing calorie in take or upping the amount of exercise you perform. A bit of both is probably best but either will achieve weight lose.

As for the original poster. I'd get out on the bike as often as you can for as long as you can. The harder you push it the more calories you will burn and hopefully get more fitter. I don't think this necessarily has to be interval based, apart from maybe pushing it up climbs.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    JayKosta wrote:

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
    This^^, change to a healthier diet with less calories and your weight will drop add exercise and it will drop a bit faster.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    90% of weight loss happens in the kitchen....

You want to lose 3 stone, thats 42lbs which is about a 147,000 Kcal deficit simply put (given it takes about 3,500kcal to burn off a lb of fat). Good luck creating that primarily with exercise - given how many calories you ACTUALLY burn duting an hour of suffering on the bike. Its really got to be diet driven with exercise to burn more calories and tip body composition to a higher % of muscle and hence burn more calories when doing nothing.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • corvus13
    corvus13 Posts: 28
    What helped me to lose weight is to have something to feast on when calorie debt madness comes calling. I have two types of Ryvita, a tub of small vine/cherry tomatoes etc and a tub of Philadelphia Lightest cheese spread. Some bulk but not so many calories that you're undoing all your good work. No point slogging and starving all day if you have to stuff yourself in order to sleep at night. Only now that I'm below bmi:25 am I considering intervals. 2x5secs ......maybe.
  • timben83
    timben83 Posts: 16
    I lost 16 KG last summer.. (Put 5 back on when i hurt my back again) and have to agree food is where you start. When going for guilty pleasure also look at portion size(Sounds simple but changed my life :-))

But back to the question. I had a personal trainer who said when I asked about interval that high intensity was better for weight loss. Keep the heart rate high but not too high and keep it going for as long as you last.

Not stating facts just repeating what i was told.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    heart rate responds too slowly for short intervals just go for one or two minutes at the max you can do if your trying HIIT.
  • Thanks for you advice, ive lost a stone so far and addrress the size and what i eat.

Thanks for your help any more keep them coming.

Dunc