Is this normal practice?

2»

Comments

• Ringpeace
    Ringpeace Posts: 105
    Quick and simple answer - no it's very weird and annoying if people sit just on your back wheel.

2 very easy options. Speed up or slow down.

Unfortunately some cyclists are like car drivers in getting to a red light really quickly or chasing down another rider - just so that they can drop them.

it's annoying because the majority of these idiots often pull up more or less as soon as the drop you when you were just cruising.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Steve_kay wrote:
    Sitting on someone's wheel and sitting 20 metres back are 2 totally different things. That's an assumption you've (wrongly) made. Moaning about it? I asked a question whether it was the done thing. Hence the title of the thread. I think you're getting yourself confused here which seems to be a recurring theme at the moment. Brag about what exactly? I explained what happened. And I never said It was on a hill. I said I overtook him on a hill, not that I rode at 21 mph up a hill for 10 minutes. At least read the thread properly if you insist on trying to pick holes in what I said
    I don't need to pick it apart you do that yourself...
    Steve_kay wrote:
    I was riding home this evening and passed another cyclist at the bottom of a hill.
    But then...
    Steve_kay wrote:
    He was going around 18mph on average, so when we reached a flat open piece of road I picked up the pace and passed him.
    It is easy to get confused when what is said contradicts itself... :wink:

But to answer your question - I wouldn't do it. I would think it was weird, and I certainly would find it a little unnerving to turn round and see someone right on my wheel without them speaking to me.

My point about you quoting speeds is that it adds nothing to your question :D:D
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    OP... Has anything else mildly interesting happened to you since Thursday that you would like to tell us about?
  • steve_kay
    steve_kay Posts: 197
    Mikey23 wrote:
    OP... Has anything else mildly interesting happened to you since Thursday that you would like to tell us about?

Meaning what?
  • Ringpeace
    Steve_kay wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Meaning what?

Meaning you felt it "interesting" enough to tell a complete non story.

There are really only 2 options if someone is sitting on your wheel at, what was it - 21MPH or something?

Speed up or slow down.

I had some tool once sit across my wheel at a red light and start bumping my rear wheel. I simply sped off, looked behind me after about 500 metres and saw the tool about 400 metres away!

Maybe us beginners just aren't in the same league as you to keep 21MPH up easily. I can keep a decent 19MPH going for a few miles, on the flattish and no wind. Our average speed on a 30 mile Purbecks spin the other day was 14.5 - which I am not ashamed of!
  • steve_kay
    So in response to my alleged 'non story' you reply with your own non story. Brilliant
  • Ringpeace
    Steve_kay wrote:
    So in response to my alleged 'non story' you reply with your own non story. Brilliant

Only difference being that my anecdote happened to be true and I didn't feel the need to come on an internet forum to cry about it.

Maybe the question you need to be asking is whether it is normal to come and troll internet forums. Judging by the responses many people think you are showing off.

Or more accurately - trying to show off.

Either way - your responses are amusing. And perhaps your pal liked sucking your wheel or you enjoyed him sucking it.

If not common sense dictates you get out of the situation. Which equates, in your book, to whining on an internet forum.

Back of the net!
  • steve_kay
    Back of the net? I think it's people like you that troll the internet, giving people grief who have come on to ask a genuine question. Hence the reason it's in the beginners forum, because I'm a beginner. I'm sorry that you feel that I'm showing off but I don't honestly think that what I said had been interpreted as showing off. Maybe it's because of your own insecurities that you feel the need to come on a beginners forum and pick holes in something that was written as a newbie to cycling seeking some advice. Anyway, thanks to everyone who made a worthwhile comment
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949
    Don't be a ringpiece ring peace.

If you find it difficult to not post condescending posts in the beginner forum I'm sure I could help you out.
  • Mikey23
    @steve-Kay... Apologies
  • steve_kay
    How come you're apologising Mikey?
  • Mikey23
    because i was being a bit grumpy and sarcastic!
  • steve_kay
    Yeah no worries. I genuinely didn't mean what I said to come across as being anything other than a question about random people sitting on your back wheel. I've only stated cycling seriously 6 months ago so I'm still new to all of this. Maybe I shouldn't have gone so in-depth with my explanation.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Steve - i'm sorry too!

Group hug?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • steve_kay
    Yeah why not
  • Serious Cat
    Serious Cat Posts: 489
    What an insightful read, ive never read anything like the childish shenanigans previously posted from gals who bike.

Guy plods along at 18mph on quiet stretch of road.
    Another guy approaches from the back and passes him doing 22mph.
    Guy doing 18mph thinks how *king dare he and what a bleedin nerve.
    18mph guy starts grrnf grrnff up the hill to catch up.
    22 mph guy realises whats going on and thinks the scumbag.......ill *king show him.
    22 mph guy starts the grrnnf grrnff thing to let 18 mph guy know to bog off
    Both guys get home busted and make for an internet forum to whinge about their respective rides :roll:

Gal on her bike turning over the pedals at 18 mph on quiet stretch of road
    Gal comes up from behind and grrnff grrnnff to drop the other girl doesn't enter her head.
    Second gal pulls alongside , smiles and hello lovely day isn't it.
    Grnnff Grrnnff up the hill doesn't occur to the 1st gal either.
    She says hello back and the two of them forge a friendship as they ride along side by side
    At the point when one has to turn off they exchange phone numbers and wave bye bye.

Quite differing scenarios aren't they that in my opinion illustrates that some men can be the sex most likely to do the whining , petulant, primadonna and pedantic pains in the @rse type behaviour whilst they are out riding on the roads.
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • steve_kay
    Thanks for that summary serious cat. A completely irrelevant comment and totay off the topic of the thread
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Steve_kay wrote:
    Yeah no worries. I genuinely didn't mean what I said to come across as being anything other than a question about random people sitting on your back wheel. I've only stated cycling seriously 6 months ago so I'm still new to all of this. Maybe I shouldn't have gone so in-depth with my explanation.

Consider it a compliment. My ride-out partner had to tow me back for 15 miles today. I was completely farked!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Maybe it was a ghost rider? Surprised nobody else has suggested this.
  • Mikey23
    I overtook someone today. Fortunately they stayed overtaken. Phew...