new accomm near Tourmalet

rouleur23
rouleur23 Posts: 175
edited March 2014 in Road general
Hi, we have lived in France 18 yrs and are moving to within 30k of the Col du Tourmalet. We are creating a super cycling getaway for roadies and maybe MTB'ers. Not sure yet on the latter. 7 en-suite rooms (14 guests) and a 6 person dorm for those on a lesser budget.
Anyway, We are looking for a few trades (we will try for cyclists 1st off) from the UK to help out once work starts. Planned for May 2015. Food and accom' is free of course but we can't pay a wage. What we can offer is for every day done on site...said cyclist gets a day at the center in return, once we are up and running. Food included. Plus, said cyclist will get 10% off any trip (except TDF week/s) for 2 further years. And the offer, from time to time, to be on the support team for road trips like ''cross the Pyrenees'' and ''Base to Barca''. Support staff don't pay for the trips. Only to get to start and home again.
We will need an electrician, a plasterer, a plumber (I am one but loads to do) any person who knows about photo-voltaic installations. Also, a couple of people willing to muck in with me putting up plasterboard and general site work. We will need several of each as we assume each can only stay for a max of 2 weeks?? We don't really know. New ground for us too.
The place is right by a stream and around 900m altitude. It will be one of the best cycling destinations around. From April to October. We CAN offer skiing accommodation as we are around a 15 min run to a ski station. More on that later. There is tons of MYB in the area but that is not my bag YET! There will have a ''velo cafe'' for passing riders on their way to the Tourmalet/Aubisque and a small gift shop with out own range of tee shirts etc. (my son is a screen printer). The TDF passes the front gate most years.
Not sure if the above is too cheeky but we mean well and will look after any person/s willing to help out.

Thanks for reading this and.....Long live the bike!!

Paz

Comments

• Hi,
    I'm a multiskill builder and a keen cyclist. The Tourmalet does sound good but I think you might find it difficult to lure people over on a one to one trade. It will cost money to come over and tbh a days earnings will exceed a days accomodation cost.

Good luck though.
  • rouleur23
    rouleur23 Posts: 175
    Good point. There are a few sites out there who provide people who want to get away and work abroad for room and board. Some skilled but most looking to 'muck in' with anything. But I thought it would be good try get like-minded riders first. I should have said 3 days on...then a day off on the bikes. Forgot. I can't go down the road of a 'cheap labour' team from the EU as was suggested by a pal in Surrey!! thanks for the tip tho'.