Advice on bike lube?

BMKN
BMKN Posts: 222
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I recently bought some Finish Line Cross Country Wet Lube - 120ml for my bike but I find it attracts dirt and is impossible to clean off any of the components, I use it on a road bike, I need advice on diff types of it i.e winter lube or summer lube.

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have tried all sorts. The problem with wet lubes is that while they stick to the components and keep them lubricated, they attract and capture dirt and end up a black, sludgy mess that gets on everything. I am increasingly considering just using Squirt all year round - although it doesnt last that long in the wet, it makes the whole drive train much cleaner and as long as you reapply regularly seems to do the job. Jury is still undecided but this is what I have been experimenting with lately...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    After trying all kinds of lubes over the years I have ended up using just good old 3-in-1 oil. It's thin enough to quickly penetrate the internals of the chain, and a quick wipe down leaves a thin layer to deter rust without attracting undue muck. Also use it on the pivot points of the derailleurs and brake calipers.

Use very sparingly on each chain pin, spin the chain to work it in then wipe off any excess / displaced muck. Little and often.
  • BMKN
    BMKN Posts: 222
    It gets very frustrating as I often have totake wheel off to put into a car or switching over to my weekend wheels and always get covered in muck, even if its just been cleaned.
  • bikeit65
    bikeit65 Posts: 982
    Try the Morgan Blue lube brilliant stuff, i have tried loads of different lubes over the years and i find this to be the best.
    https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
    Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Rock 'n' Roll Extreme all year round for me. Everyone will have their own fave though.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    You'll get a different answer from everyone, so here's my tu'penneth......

Finish line cross Country is great..... If you apply it properly ! Yes it's sticky, but it's designed to be, it's designed to stay in place and lubricate your chain in filthy conditions. I used it on filthy roads on Saturday and came back with a reasonably cheap chain. The trick is not to put too much on. I put a small drop on each roller, spin the cranks a few time and leave it to work its way in. I then wipe any excess off the side plates of the links with a baby wipe. This approach results in the lube being where it's needed, ie inside the rollers, and not where you don't want it, ie on the outside of the chain where it will attract dirt and on your legs.

I use White Lightning Clean Ride in the summer, this is a wax lube and keeps your chain sparkly clean..... As long as you apply it properly.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I use White Lightning Clean Ride (cos Matt told me to) all year round and it's brilliant stuff.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Lube is a very personal thing.......

Me I prefer Fenwicks Stealth road bike lube all year round.
  • Best I ever used was chainsaw oil ! - formulated to stick to chains under high speed and pressures. Trouble was it was wet so went black and dirty fast.
    But I have never had a chain so slick and smooth since. I use Finish Line Dry now and its great.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I just talk nicely to mine and play with the brake levers for 30 minutes before jumping on.
    Insert bike here:
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    mpatts wrote:
    I just talk nicely to mine and play with the brake levers for 30 minutes before jumping on.
    :lol: Good one.
    MattC59 wrote:

I used it on filthy roads on Saturday and came back with a reasonably cheap chain.
    ^ What he said, expect I normally come back with the same chain I went out on. If yu have a reasonably expensive chain, the lube he uses may be best avoided.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    keef66 wrote:
    After trying all kinds of lubes over the years I have ended up using just good old 3-in-1 oil. It's thin enough to quickly penetrate the internals of the chain, and a quick wipe down leaves a thin layer to deter rust without attracting undue muck. Also use it on the pivot points of the derailleurs and brake calipers.

Use very sparingly on each chain pin, spin the chain to work it in then wipe off any excess / displaced muck. Little and often.

The above is some of the best advice you'll ever get. Easy to use, cheap, and I would argue that there is nothing out there that does a better job of lubing most bike parts. Oh, there are plenty of more expensive things out there, they come in fancier bottles, and great advertising claims are made for them, but IMHO none of them are BETTER than 3 in 1. Oil has been the go to stuff for lubing metal to metal(and many other materials) for centuries and as yet I haven't seen anything out there that has replaced it.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    team47b wrote:
    I use White Lightning Clean Ride (cos Matt told me to) all year round and it's brilliant stuff.
    I've been using this too and seem to go through an awful lot! Maybe that's just because it's been pretty wet...?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    holiver wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    I've been using this too and seem to go through an awful lot! Maybe that's just because it's been pretty wet...?

It tends to melt on a hot day too :twisted:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • MattC59
    Me-109 wrote:
    mpatts wrote:
    :lol: Good one.
    MattC59 wrote:

I used it on filthy roads on Saturday and came back with a reasonably cheap chain.
    ^ What he said, expect I normally come back with the same chain I went out on. If yu have a reasonably expensive chain, the lube he uses may be best avoided.

Eeerm....... Auto correct :oops:
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Rock n roll lubes are excellent they clean the chain to a certain extent and lubricate well. I have given up with other chain lubs I have even stopped cleaning my chains now and chain life seems unaffected.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • DKay
    Rock n roll lubes are excellent they clean the chain to a certain extent and lubricate well. I have given up with other chain lubs I have even stopped cleaning my chains now and chain life seems unaffected.

I agree. It's really good stuff. I use the blue and I clean my chains very infrequently now.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    keef66 wrote:

^^This one
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Oil, 3in1, engine oil, gear oil, just use oil
    It is the cheapest option and it works :roll:
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • MattC59
    topdude wrote:
    Oil, 3in1, engine oil, gear oil, just use oil
    It is the cheapest option and it works :roll:

May as well use WD40 then.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    ran out of finishline wet so been using ep90 gear oil for the past two years. TBH the loads we're looking at close to bugger all so anything that will provide a modicum of film separation in the contact while preventing water ingress and corrosion should suffice. There really isn't much in it.
  • Hi - daft question from a newbie. I bought some GT85 from Halfords and thought this was chain lube. However, on the wiggle website, it seems to indicate that it is not chain lube?

I'm happy to buy something more appropriate if that is the case. Can anyone advise please? Sorry for such a basic question.

And to add to my daft question - if it isn't lube, then when/where would I use that and not something else that is a lube?

Thanks again.

Andy
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    GT85 is like WD40 with teflon added, good for displacing moisture & wiping on parts to stop rusting.
    You could spray it lightly on mechs and brake calipers (not pads & rims) to lightly lube and stop bolt heads rusting.
    Good also to wipe all over the frame to clean & protect from the elements.
    Also good for spraying on a cloth to clean chain before applying some real lube.

To repeat my advice from earlier in this thread, forget the expensive stuff use - OIL, 3in one, engine oil, gear oil, any OIL 8)
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • DKay
    I've always found that applying GT85 to stuff just attracts grime very quickly. I certainly wouldn't wipe it all over my frame (and definitely nowhere near my brakes). Better in my opinion to apply a good car wax to the frame.
  • Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Andy