Bladed spoke

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Noticed a buzz noise coming from the front wheel this weekend, when I cleaned the bike yesterday I saw one of the bladed spokes has turned itself. The spoke seems tensioned, didn't feel spongy or loose.

Wheels are Mavic Cosmic Elite's - new in Jan, have covered about 600 miles.

Am I ok to turn and tighten myself or should I make a trip to LBS? I'm being a bit cautious as these were bought to replace a wheel destroyed due to loose spoke AND over tightened spoke.

Comments

• Yep, but you'll have to hold it somehow... pliers will do the job, if you don't have a slotted piece of something
    left the forum March 2023
  • dinyull
    Cheers Ugo, think the wheels came with a tool for holding - could be wrong though.

As the resident wheel guru, would you put the noise down to that? I know bike noise is another whole can of worms, but I just put 2+2 together...
  • If a thick bladed spoke was turned 90 degree, it would probably make some kind of noise as it spins... is that what you mean?
    left the forum March 2023
  • dinyull
    Yeah, think that's what I mean haha.

Was a buzzing noise as I was cycling along, bit of a coincidence if not but I'll find out next weekend.

Cheers
  • dinyull
    Yeah, think that's what I mean haha.

Was a buzzing noise as I was cycling along, bit of a coincidence if not but I'll find out next weekend.

Cheers