Gatorade & Water intake

macroadie
macroadie Posts: 172
I've developed a habit of drinking gatorade on my way out. Lets say i'm doing 50 miles, i would drink gatorade 25 or so miles and then water on the way back. I haven't noticed any effect but wanted to hear ya thoughts or other people hydrate during such rides.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Try 'not drinking it' and see if it makes any difference...
  • I have tried loads of different drinks and hate nearly all of them.

Most artificial sweeteners are disgusting.
    Watered down pineapple juice seems reasonable.
    Water on its own gets boring.
    Gatorade original orange seems to me to be the best of the manufactured ones.

I did read that plain water and a handful of salted nuts was better anyway interns of fluid and electrolyte replacement. havent tried it yet though.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    OP - this makes perfect sense. You have enough energy on-board in the form of glycogen to fuel around 25 miles worth of riding, far more if you are riding at a relaxed pace as opposed to going flat out 100% of the time (since in this case a greater proportion of energy will come from fat)

Also it takes 30 minutes or so to absorb/use the carbs in Gatorade.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Torq energy in my water for any ride over 2 hours

swear by it
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    i like tesco high juice apple squash. relatively cheap and looks like ive weed in the bottle
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    I have tried loads of different drinks and hate nearly all of them.

I did read that plain water and a handful of salted nuts was better anyway interns of fluid and electrolyte replacement. havent tried it yet though.

Thanks, that's re-assuring, I thought it was just me.
  • chrisw12 wrote:

sometimes i try to avoid the 7% Sodium in gatorade esp if you have high blood pressure.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    macroadie wrote:
    chrisw12 wrote:

sometimes i try to avoid the 7% Sodium in gatorade esp if you have high blood pressure.

I suspect you'll sweat out far more sodium than you'll get in your Gatorade. Keep drinking it and avoid the fear of things that are massively unlikely to ever cause you a problem.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • dw300 wrote:
    macroadie wrote:
    chrisw12 wrote:

I suspect you'll sweat out far more sodium than you'll get in your Gatorade. Keep drinking it and avoid the fear of things that are massively unlikely to ever cause you a problem.
    That was my thinking. Thnx