My Boardman Comp 2013 Singlespeed Build

Graydawg
Graydawg Posts: 673
edited February 2014 in Your mountain bikes
I picked up a frame back in November and due to budget restraints it's taking me time to build up. I'm hoping to get it up and running in time for the summer.

I took the plunge and bought a Mosso rigid fork from Pinbike and it arrived true to form and I have just picked up a headset (the correct this one this time) and will install tonight.
In the meantime, I wanted to have a look to see what this would look like with the wheels on, so I took the wheels off my other bike and sat the frame and forks on the wheels. I must admit I am liking the look! :)

Anyway, here is the latest addition so I thought I'd share with you.

I'm building it up as a singlespeed with probably a 44x16 setup, keeping it simple and low on maintenance.
I know it doesn't look like much at the moment but I'm quite happy!

The Fork:

86ED54C7-BEF8-49DD-A335-5404D5AB29D5.jpg

With wheels on:

6196B2A6-36F3-4389-ADF1-94AB6870E6A8.jpg

C5EECC39-075D-4761-B1A0-ACA38B5F3463.jpg

I've got the handlebars and stem sitting around in the garage, so the next buy I think will be Chainset and BB. :mrgreen::mrgreen:
It's been a while...

Comments

• Graydawg
    So I got the headset installed this afternoon, had to cut 30mm off the steerer tube but she's looking good now!

I used the dumbbell trick to press the cups into the frame and the socket in the steerer tube to push the star nut down, but it's all good. Had to take for a quick spring / push around the front of the house...must of looked a right sight! Haha!

Anyway, here's another couple of pics..

C19D42F8-F416-4001-9EDD-3E5A6F35C075.jpg

72B4B028-5707-49F6-98F9-90771BFE2A8A.jpg
    It's been a while...
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    44/16 is a pretty tall gear for off road riding, is it going to be some form of commuter? Looking good btw
  • Graydawg
    Cheers thanks! :D

I am wanting to use for spinning around town and also taking out across the byways here with the dog.. Not many hills so thinking something tall(ish) but might go 44x18. Not sure on the aesthetics of that setup though.. But I think a 32/34 up front might be too small for around here.
    It's been a while...
  • Twelly
    Fair enough but if it were me, I would have a 32 or 34 chain ring with a selection of cogs so that I could easily switch to a smaller gear if I did want to go get muddy. You could still run a 13/14 cog (if you can buy them that small that is!) to give a reasonably roadworthy gear but you could have an 18 or 16 for MTB climbing. I built mine with a 32/16 and took it out on a shakedown ride around the new forest (mostly flat and mostly roads) I found it was perfectly fine on the road for all but long downhills (where I just spun out). I guess its all trial and error though. Have fun with the build.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    And get some spare BLACK spokes for when you break them in future
  • Graydawg
    Cqc wrote:

???
    It's been a while...
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    Cqc wrote:

you do realize that some wheels are made using 1 different coloured spoke because it shows the valve location.

personally i like the single red spoke.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • Cqc
    jfry94 wrote:
    Cqc wrote:

Erm... Ok... But who has trouble finding the valve?
  • Graydawg
    Cqc wrote:
    jfry94 wrote:
    Cqc wrote:

It's not a case of having trouble finding the valve, it's a case of helping you locate the valve quickly.
    It's been a while...
  • Twelly
    Plus red makes you faster. Obviously.

I think the red spoke looks good. Its a bit of a signature of AC wheels. I have seen a lot of roadies with a single red spoke.
  • Cqc
    Graydawg wrote:
    Cqc wrote:
    jfry94 wrote:
    Cqc wrote:

It's not a case of having trouble finding the valve, it's a case of helping you locate the valve quickly.
    How long does it normally take you?
  • Graydawg
    Cqc wrote:
    Graydawg wrote:
    Cqc wrote:
    jfry94 wrote:
    Cqc wrote:

How long does it normally take you?

About a second, with my red spoke.
    It's been a while...
  • TwellySmat wrote:
    Plus red makes you faster. Obviously.

Definitely agree. You must be wheelspinning that front wheel all over the place with that red spoke :D

Why the risers? On something like that i would have gone for a flar bar.
  • Graydawg
    Haha yeah the red spoke adds about 0.75 mph to my average speed lol.

Reason for the riser bars? Well, they were mega cheap in the shop and came with lock ons as well. :)
    It's been a while...