How to get more "matches in the box"

GGBiker
GGBiker Posts: 450
Any familiar with the phrase "matches in the box", meaning that you start a ride/race with a box of matches, every hard effort (typically minimum of 1 minute at 20% over functional threshold power) burns a match and eventually you have none left.

I rode today at a normalised power of 90% of FTP with which I was very happy (hard to keep that up for so long), however I burnt all my matches quickly on rolling hills requiring short sharp efforts to stick with the bunch, eventually I was toast, could maintain a good steady power output sub threshold but had nothing available above this.

Any tips on how to improve this, ie to get more matches in the box? Seems to be the main thing holding me back at present

Comments

• dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Is this you OP?

burning-matches.gif

Interval training buddy.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • GGBiker
    Yes that's what I was thinking, do I just do lots of 2-3 min intervals at 130%. + of FTP, maybe 2 mins between reps?

I.e attempt to recreate the situation that gives me problems ?
  • I would suggest that the best way to help you 'keep your matches in their box' might well be to raise your overall aerobic capacity so that you have to 'go into the red' less frequently. Increasing your anaerobic capacity might well give you more top end power, but might not allow you produce that power for significantly longer.

It does seem quite possible that, no matter what your level, the proportion of time you can spend at each level of intensity doesn't actually vary that much. For example, For example, whilst a club level rider might well be able to sustain, say, 97% of their 20 minute power over a full hour, that proportion won't be much different for a seasoned pro and when the likes of Wiggins is riding a time trial he will still have to keep just below his MLSS, just like any other rider. Similarly, I would think it likely that even pros have a limited number of 'matches in their box', even if they can go far harder before they need to deploy them!
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • GGBiker wrote:
    Any tips on how to improve this, ie to get more matches in the box? Seems to be the main thing holding me back at present
    Improve your aerobic capabilities.

And use matches more wisely.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Would using a lighter be ok, if you don't have any matches..??
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    I would suggest that the best way to help you 'keep your matches in their box' might well be to raise your overall aerobic capacity so that you have to 'go into the red' less frequently. Increasing your anaerobic capacity might well give you more top end power, but might not allow you produce that power for significantly longer.
    This^
  • GGBiker
    What you say makes a lot of sense Bender, in other words stick to the plan!

Just wonder how much more ftp I have to gain, available time for training being the limiting factor, I can manage 6-8 hrs per week. If I look at the best riders I know the thing they have in common is training 10-12 hours weekly, 200-250 miles.

All I need is a 20% ftp boost! Harder than it sounds sadly.
  • While I agree that if you could increase your aerobic capacity so you don't actually need to go anaerobic so often it will help, I also think it is important that you can still do the shorter efforts over threshold as you will still have the same weakness just you won't notice it until you ride at a higher level. Your aerobic capacity will increase with all types of training anyway so I would add in some interval work.

Take a crit rider and a TTer for example, the TTer may have a higher threshold than the crit rider, but in a crit the TTer may only last 15mins because they can't recover from being put into the red whereas the crit rider has have a threshold 30watts lower than the TT rider but can recover from intense efforts much quicker and so last out the race. I think this is where people can over obsess on threshold.
  • GGBiker
    Yes, another valid point, so I need to work on boosting ftp and also boosting shorter efforts.

Essentially the aim is to move the power curve up so that power at all time durations is higher.
  • Your aerobic capacity will increase with all types of training anyway so I would add in some interval work. .
    While I agree that some interval work is good to do, certain types of training focus can see a fall in threshold power.
    Take a crit rider and a TTer for example, the TTer may have a higher threshold than the crit rider, but in a crit the TTer may only last 15mins because they can't recover from being put into the red whereas the crit rider has have a threshold 30watts lower than the TT rider but can recover from intense efforts much quicker and so last out the race. I think this is where people can over obsess on threshold.
    Recovery from any effort is a wholly aerobic process, and can only occur if you are below threshold power level. The less fit rider most definitely won't recover more quickly if they are forced to ride at/near threshold.

The trick for the TT rider is knowing how to keep the pace high while avoid providing too much shelter to others, so that his less fit mate will be suffering while TTr is below threshold and getting ready for the next attack.